Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  It's raining in my yard---ashes. 2500 sq miles burned so far in Texas.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

It's raining in my yard---ashes. 2500 sq miles burned so far in Texas. by maryjane
Started on: 04-19-2011 03:37 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: cliffw on 04-21-2011 07:45 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
That's a lot of realestate burned.
There's been a wildfire burning over in Hardin County now for a couple of days, which is a county over from me, but it keeps the eastern sky brown and some ash falls here. Windy as the dickens and hot/dry. Any time the wind shifts from South to Southeast, the sky turns brown, but we are presently in no danger here at my place, even tho the national forest ends 150' from my front door.

Bugout bags are ready tho, if the fire spreads or starts up in the Sam Houston National Forest.

Everywhere else, the state is in even worse shape, especially out west. 252 out of 254 counties either affected directly or in danger of being affected by fire. Relative humidity is expected to be in single digits tomorrow in some of the directly affected counties, with more high winds forecast. Current wildfires burning as of 4-17-2011:

McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis West Texas:

http://forestry.about.com/b...-the-texas-fires.htm

Interactive US wildfire incident map:
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#

Hey, I wonder if we can get a big "bailout" from this????

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Glad you are safe to this point. I was wondering about how you folks were faring this morning when I was watching the news.
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Here in Austin a homeless guy started a fire that burned 18 houses in a well-populated suburb. I wasn't here two years ago when it was so dry Lake Travis dropped 16 feet, but this is looking like it's going to be a HOT DRY summer.
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I know it's tragic but that Observatory photo is beautiful.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I know it's tragic but that Observatory photo is beautiful.

Ft Davis is one of the most scenic places in Texas--fire or no fire.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I don't think I could live out there where the stars are but I wish I could afford to spend some time there from time to time.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I don't think I could live out there where the stars are ...

The stars at night, are big and bright,
deep in the heart of Texas,
The prairie sky is wide and high,
deep in the heart of Texas.
The sage in bloom is like perfume,
Reminds me of, the one I love,

The coyotes wail, along the trail,
The rabbits rush, around the brush,
The cowboys cry, "Ki-yip-pee-yi,"
The dogies bawl, and bawl and bawl,

I recently got back from NW Texas (Lubbock). Many acres of fire to the east to just west of Ft Worth. Though I was not affected by any fires my operations were shut down often due to excessive winds. They call the area the southern plains (of the great plains of the US) of which the song Oklahoma goes "the wind comes sweeping down the plains". Many times the sky was cloudy ... dim from a dust aura. A few times I could feel the dusts hitting me. It had me wondering if we might enter another dust bowl era.
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Just remember: the fires, the dry rivers and lakes, They aren't really happening.
Like climate change, these fires are just another liberal lie.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-20-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
One of very many.
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

The stars at night, are big and bright,

Originally posted by cliffw:

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
There were a rash of brush fires in central Florida earlier this year. I-95 was closed a few times because of smoke/fog and zero vizability. Then the muck fires would smolder for days. A cuple of thunder storms finally put most of them out. I had thought that the storms coming up through Texas would have brenched the fires, but the weather pattern must be north of the fires. Keep the bags packed and ready for the bug out if necessary, but I hope you don't need to go.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Just remember: the fires, the dry rivers and lakes, They aren't really happening.
Like climate change, these fires are just another liberal lie.

Interesting isn't it...

When it "might" support GW, it's genuine climate change, but when it's cold as heck in a region that doesn't normally see frigid temps.............it's just "weather", or even more often, anecdotal evidence, because it only affects a small region or area and not the entire continent, region or globe--and then, only for a short period of time. I know this, because it's been told to me time and time again here in OT.

In other words, if it had been another wet cool spring as it was 2 & 3 years ago when I had to wait till after Easter to plant my garden due to frost in Mar and April, and I asked "Hey guy---, what happened to global warming & climate change?", all the GW folks would chant in unison--"It's just weather and anecdotal evidence--it proves nothing!!".

a clue:
It's Texas--(late spring for us)--it's SUPPOSED to be hot and dry--and often is--and always has been since I was old enough to remember--and even long before that.
This, is the weather and where the worst fires are raging is the region that allegedly prompted Phil Sheridan to utter his infamous words: "If I owned hell and Texas i would live in hell and rent out Texas"--in 1866 I believe.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-20-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

lol beat me to it. So I'll go with. "There's no basement in the Alamo."
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
It's Texas--(late spring for us)--it's SUPPOSED to be hot and dry--and often is--and always has been since I was old enough to remember--and even long before that.
This, is the weather and where the worst fires are raging is the region that allegedly prompted Phil Sheridan to utter his infamous words: "If I owned hell and Texas i would live in hell and rent out Texas"--in 1866 I believe.

Don't try to side track him with facts.
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Don't try to side track him with facts.

Now THATS funny.

All kidding aside: Don, if anyone can handle a tough situation, you are that guy.
But I hope you are spared any close contact with these fires.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-21-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

So I'll go with. "There's no basement in the Alamo."

It would be odd if there was. There are no basements in San Antonio, .

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock