Started on: 04-19-2011 10:07 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: RenegadeShadow on 04-21-2011 02:51 PM
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
If this has been posted already please forgive me. Yahoo! had a nice article of a photographer that took a large assortment of random photographs in a local mall in 1989.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ybl...cenes-from-80s-malls
EDIT: (Apparently you can look at these without having a Facebook account, so my assumption is they are set to 'public'. My apologies for the prior notice here.)

Amazing to look back on these photographs. You see people genuinely talking to one another and hanging out, not walking with three or four bags and chatting or texting on a phone. Even the personas people carry about with themselves is like an entirely different world. The bouncing hair and wild clothes is awesome too. I also got to thinking "how many Fieros were parked outside when these were taken?..."

I was six in '89 and remember my local mall. I bet really young teenagers nowadays could barely fathom the world these people lived in during that time - and it was barely over 20 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 04-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
And now the malls have a bunch of gang bangers.... sigh...
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, what a stroll down memory lane. Big hair and acid wash jeans. What the hell were we thinking? Thanks for posting these.

Jim
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ybl...cenes-from-80s-malls
(You have to have access to a Facebook account to see the photographs)

It works for me without Facebook, fortunately. I'd hate to miss out on some good 80s stuff!

I see one dude on there with the same awesome Reebok high tops that I keep in my Fiero. They're almost as old as the car! No acid washed jeans though....

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I preferred "pre-mall" times.
(back when "big hair" was actually invented for the US--50s/60s)
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

I was six in '89 and remember my local mall. I bet really young teenagers nowadays could barely fathom the world these people lived in during that time - and it was barely over 20 years ago.

I was six in 1961 before malls. I bet really young teenagers nowadays could barely fathom the world these people lived in during that time - and it was barely over 40 years ago.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I also got to thinking "how many Fieros were parked outside when these were taken?..."

Not many if any. They were being driven, .
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:
I was six in 1961 before malls. I bet really young teenagers nowadays could barely fathom the world these people lived in during that time - and it was barely over 40 years ago.

LOL!
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Tape World! I wonder what happened to that store?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Yahoo! had a nice article of a photographer that took a large assortment of random photographs in a local mall in 1989.

From a historical perspective, the images are interesting, but the guy was no "photographer". All that's missing is his thumb in a couple of shots.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-19-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Taken with a low tech camera

Umm it was 1989, what would one expect?? I miss the 80's. The world ( at least where i lived ) was a lot better. Tho in 1989 it was the beginning of the really stupid decisions i was about to make.

While still in HS in the early 80's i never did do the big hair thing.. Mine was down to my waist and dyed blue instead. My GF was above her ears and dyed bright red. We were different than the rest. Should have been out on the west coast instead

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 04-19-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I tell my wife all the time how if I had a time machine I would go back to 1987 and might not return. If I could "Groundhog's Day that year I would. The only thing I would have liked to see more of in those pictures are the storefronts. Remember Wicks & Sticks? There were a ton of cool stores that dried up.

I was definitely an 80's mall rat, though for some reason I don't like malls now. (Shopping to me is like grabbing your kids during a house fire: get in get out.)
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I love the 80's!! My house and most my hobbies revolved around 80's related things. I have a huge collection of 80's items.

The 80's was the best time of my life. I was born in 1981 and lived a very fun and carefree childhood. I was raised by amazing parents and just loved life. However my near perfect world was torn apart in the early 90's by a tragic event that forever changed our family. So I think that is why I am still so obsessed with the 80's, to me it represents a time in my life where I was still innocent.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I love the 80's!! My house and most my hobbies revolved around 80's related things. I have a huge collection of 80's items.

The 80's was the best time of my life. I was born in 1981 and lived a very fun and carefree childhood. I was raised by amazing parents and just loved life. However my near perfect world was torn apart in the early 90's by a tragic event that forever changed our family. So I think that is why I am still so obsessed with the 80's, to me it represents a time in my life where I was still innocent.

I was anything but innocent in the 80's but its when i officially 'grew up' and the 'era' that had the most influence on who i am today.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
LOL. Grandma and grandpa lightin' up at the mall. Remember the days of indoor smoking, or smoking in public places at all?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
That looks no different than the mall by my house now. People still walk around talking the entire time. The only people with cell phones out the whole time are the 15-16 year olds that think they're too cool to be there with their parents.

ONLY difference I really noticed was that they were smoking in the mall... can't do that now.

------------------

I'm young, impulsive, and naïve; but I'm learning.

‎"Of all the illusions that beset mankind none is quite so curious as that tendency to suppose that we are mentally and morally superior to those who differ from us in opinion."
- Elbert Hubbard

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Outside of vegas, I actually cannot remember smoking allowed in a mall. Of Course, I'm not counting smoking in the bathroom when I worked at sunglass hut.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
All that's missing is shots from a roller rink (misspent youth)

Amazing thing, just watched the Philadelphia Experiment (1984).. Smoking in a hospital, rotary phones still in use, stand up video games, etc..
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

While still in HS in the early 80's i never did do the big hair thing.. Mine was down to my waist and dyed blue instead.

LOL I grew mine from 1985-1991 but it never got longer than the middle of my back. Bad genetics I guess.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Sang it now ill have to watch "fast times at Ridgemont high" again... lots of 80s mall scenes there. And the blues brothers as they tear a mall apart MaMopar style. LOL
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
So it turns out the guy is planning to release the pictures in a book! Here's the site where he's looking for sponsors:

http://www.kickstarter.com/...malls-across-america
PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Sang it now ill have to watch "fast times at Ridgemont high" again... lots of 80s mall scenes there. And the blues brothers as they tear a mall apart MaMopar style. LOL

Weird Science has some good mall scenes too. The funny thing about movies like that is they really are a snapshot in time, and no one watching those movies thought the people in the malls looked out of place or strange.

Now those movies are like time capsules.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
How bout scenes from a mall? Or that one terminator movie, both filmed in the Sherman Oaks galleria I think. That mall was always full of **** stars.
RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post
wish i was a teen in the 80s

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Being born in '83 I miss the 90's more than the 80's, I was just too young in the 80's. I work with a kid who is 19 and I feel like an old man telling him stories about "when I was his age." It absolutely blows my mind how much things have changed just since I graduated in '01, now that was a good year (for me, not so much the country).
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
Malls depress me now days. Ever since I enjoyed watching a sweet young lady stroll by my bench with her parents and realized I dated her GRANDMOTHER in high school.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grandaddy84SE:

Malls depress me now days. Ever since I enjoyed watching a sweet young lady stroll by my bench with her parents and realized I dated her GRANDMOTHER in high school.

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.
ShockWave

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
Now you can't even photograph inside most malls these days, not without being jumped by security... the ones that use post-9/11 paranoia as an excuse are the worst.

[This message has been edited by ShockWave (edited 04-21-2011).]

RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post
ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

I also grew up in the 90s, comic books and soda pop

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock