What the deuce? Grindy starter by Curlrup
Started on: 04-15-2011 10:02 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Isolde on 04-17-2011 09:38 AM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I changed the clutch AGAIN on my 2003 Mustang V6. Leaky rear engine seal did short work on that one. Changed the rear seal, all new clutch, bearings, flywheel. Worked good I need to adjust the cable some more it is a little stiff. However the starter had to be disconnected. Now at the end of the crank a split second after the car starts the starter grinds. It engages and starts the car no problem but as soon as it starts I get grinding. What the heck did I do? There were no shims on the motor and it has worked the other 40 times i pulled it to get at this clutch. This car is kicking my ass. I need another Fiero.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks guys you are the bext.

Curly
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Did the starter have a return spring on the gear?

If so it sounds like it needs replacement.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
I ran into a similar problem on a V8 Camaro, and an 04 V6 mustang, both 5 speeds with new clutch and flywheels. Turned out the flywheels were the issue, not the starters like I had thought. Not really sure on the exact cause, but a new flywheel corrected it. I think the ring gear was improperly welded on.

I'd try to loosen the starter up an wiggle it around a bit and re-tighten. Sometimes you can get lucky. Or maybe try a new starter before tearing it all apart, again.

I'll trade my 2 Fieros for it not sure you'd go for it...
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I'd try a new starter. As you know, that fly-wheel will be a pain to replace if the teeth get grounded off.
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
This car is driving me nuts.....it runs awesome the clutch has been fighting me for the last year and a half. I'll get ti though I'll get it. As much as I would want two more Fieros I like my Mustang. Not as much as my Fieros but I ldo enjoy the car.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Stock Ford starters have always caused me problems. I'd go with a Powermaster lightweight replacement.
I've also seen problems from cheap import flywheels, but if it's a genuine Ford part, it should be okay.
My next Mustang is going to be an '83-'93, with a Chevy 4.3L Vortec V6, and a turbo.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 04-17-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock