Motorcycle exhaust questions... by pHoOl
Started on: 04-14-2011 12:43 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: cliffw on 04-20-2011 11:32 AM
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a 94 Honda Magna with only 2000 miles on it. Everything looks great, but it's bone stock. After having 2 people in the same day try to change lanes into me while I swerve into another lane to get out of their way... I'm thinking I need a louder exhaust.

I like the stock exhaust and have heard you can remove the baffles to make it a bit louder. My question is, do I need to do something to the carbs, like rejetting them if I do that? What happens if I don't?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Experience in the motorcycling community is that loud exhaust doesn't help unless it's so loud that you're causing hearing damage to yourself and others around you. Also, thanks to a few knuckleheads on Harleys who have carried this loudness=safety myth to its extreme laws are popping up all over the place to limit exhaust noise even more than before.

On a personal note, there's a guy who zips up my street on occasion with an exhaust that's gotta be over 100dB; you can hear it echoing off buildings half a mile away. When I'm in my front yard working I have to wear hearing protection in case he comes by.

http://www.americantrails.o...mapositionnoise.html
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Get an air horn.

http://www.amazon.com/Stebe...e-Horn/dp/B000NPRTII

they will correct themselves.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I dont know if a louder exhaust would help all that much. People just dont pay attention to whats around them.
Yes- if you modify the exhaust you have to re-jet the carb (in most cases)
If you dont it usually wont run good & could possibly damage the cylinders.

When I ride the highway I always try to ride where I can see the drivers face thru their mirror - side or windshield Meaning I'm not in their blind spot.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Louder does not mean safer.

Brad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
You could get one of thoe really annoying pulsing headlights. I bet they work.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Loud pipes save lives... Thats a myth rednecks and yuppies on Harleys use to justify the straight pipes. If you want loud exhaust, I think people should at least be honest about WHY they want it. I had loud exhaust because I liked the sound. A GOOD airhorn will work wonders.. Also, learn how to ride defensively. Don't hang out in peoples blind spots. Vision is infinitely more reliable to motorists, many people listen to loud music or just tune out noises. Ride a little bit faster than traffic. I don't mean hooliganism. Just make sure you are moving through traffic so that you are always fresh in someones vision. Riding defensively means being aggressively proactive. If you want to just sit in someone's blind spot, you are running a risk whether you are on a bike or in a Fiero.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
I've been riding for 5 years, so I was prepared for it when it happened. Perhaps a louder horn would be the way to go, since the problem is only occasional, and a louder pipe would be a permanent solution.

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

I like the stock exhaust and have heard you can remove the baffles to make it a bit louder. My question is, do I need to do something to the carbs, like rejetting them if I do that? What happens if I don't?

My first inclination is to say yes, but searching some Magna forums (with a few grains of salt) would probably get you a better idea.

I'm still wrestling with getting my XS650 tuned right after I put pod filters on it and the exhaust is less restrictive. I will admit I like the sound, I didn't do it for safety.

~ Derek
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I like loud pipes, that is it. I don't try to justify them. Both of my cars are loud and my motorcycle will be throaty when I get it.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

You could get one of thoe really annoying pulsing headlights. I bet they work.

Those... THOSE.... THEY ANGER ME...

Brad
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Many people in cars seem to suffer a mental block when it comes to motorcycles, they just don't see them or tend to ignore them. The size of a motorcycle probably has something to do with this and is one of the reasons I gave up ridding. The incident I had, before I quit, involved an individual that decided to run a stop sign at an t-intersection I was approaching. I had the right of way and the guy even looked straight at me before he proceded. I sounded my air horns and he yanked his wheel to the right, pulled over, stopped and braced for impact. If I had been in a car or truck he would have been hit.
Loud pipes will only get you a tickets and dirty looks. You have to drive a motorcycle defensively all the time and try to anticipate what mistakes car drivers are going to commit while you are around them. I almost was ran into a guardrail by an old lady driving a Caddy. She didn't hear my horn but sure felt it when my boot kicked her car door in. I also had one guy run a stop sign in front of me and I t-boned him. My handlebars went through his windshield and my bike dented his fender when it wedged under it. My choice was to lay the bike down or to go over the car. I chose the latter. I was constantly cut off, merged into and driven across my path almost every day I rode my bikes. Once I got married and started a family I decided to give it up.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Many people in cars seem to suffer a mental block when it comes to motorcycles, they just don't see them or tend to ignore them. The size of a motorcycle probably has something to do with this and is one of the reasons I gave up ridding. The incident I had, before I quit, involved an individual that decided to run a stop sign at an t-intersection I was approaching. I had the right of way and the guy even looked straight at me before he proceded. I sounded my air horns and he yanked his wheel to the right, pulled over, stopped and braced for impact. If I had been in a car or truck he would have been hit.
Loud pipes will only get you a tickets and dirty looks. You have to drive a motorcycle defensively all the time and try to anticipate what mistakes car drivers are going to commit while you are around them. I almost was ran into a guardrail by an old lady driving a Caddy. She didn't hear my horn but sure felt it when my boot kicked her car door in. I also had one guy run a stop sign in front of me and I t-boned him. My handlebars went through his windshield and my bike dented his fender when it wedged under it. My choice was to lay the bike down or to go over the car. I chose the latter. I was constantly cut off, merged into and driven across my path almost every day I rode my bikes. Once I got married and started a family I decided to give it up.

While all true, there are many many motorcyclists that just piss off us car drivers. With flashing lights, loud exhaust, ignoring road laws...

Lets see, yesterday I had a motorcycle coming toward me riding down the center of the double yellow line. basically he was half in my lane.

Last week I was sitting at a stop light, car next to me, and some douche on a loud crotch rocket pulled in between us, on the solid white line. He was deep into the douchebaggery as he was constantly revving the bike. The light turned green, and he took off, of course he had to red line the bike before shifting to the next gear.

As a motorcyclist, you are a part of a group, there are two sides in it, the loud obnoxious group that need to be noticed, and the decent quiet guys that just ride, and could care less what everyone else thinks about them.

Which part do you want to be in?

Brad
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

While all true, there are many many motorcyclists that just piss off us car drivers. With flashing lights, loud exhaust, ignoring road laws...

Lets see, yesterday I had a motorcycle coming toward me riding down the center of the double yellow line. basically he was half in my lane.

Last week I was sitting at a stop light, car next to me, and some douche on a loud crotch rocket pulled in between us, on the solid white line. He was deep into the douchebaggery as he was constantly revving the bike. The light turned green, and he took off, of course he had to red line the bike before shifting to the next gear.

As a motorcyclist, you are a part of a group, there are two sides in it, the loud obnoxious group that need to be noticed, and the decent quiet guys that just ride, and could care less what everyone else thinks about them.

Brad

I would just ask that your actions toward motorcyclists not be based on the bad ones, but rather the good ones. I don't condone the bad things that other riders do, and ask to be treated with the respect due a rider who fully obeys all rules, written and otherwise, of the road.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
I rode BMWs ... arguably the quietest motorcycles made ... on the street for 20 years and 80,000 miles without an accident. Defensive driving and situational awareness are the keys to safety. Yes, some drivers are blind and/or stupid when it comes to motorcycles, but you can defend yourself against them. One tactic I used was to almost always wear a bright yellow nylon windbreaker for increased visibility while riding.

The attention that LOUD will attract is usually not the kind of attention you want. Added to that, most of the sound from a loud exhaust will be behind you where it doesn't do you any good with respect to safety. It's usually what's in front of you that represents the greater danger.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-15-2011).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-15-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I rode BMWs ... arguably the quietest motorcycles made ... on the street for 20 years and 80,000 miles without an accident. Defensive driving and situational awareness are the keys to safety. Yes, some drivers are blind and/or stupid when it comes to motorcycles, but you can defend yourself against them. One tactic I used was to almost always wear a bright yellow nylon windbreaker for increased visibility while riding.

The attention that LOUD will attract is usually not the kind of attention you want. Added to that, most of the sound from a loud exhaust will be behind you where it doesn't do you any good with respect to safety. It's usually what's in front of you that represents the greater danger.

Not to mention that many luxury car and SUV makers spend millions engineering sound proofing into their cars to eliminate loud noises coming from outside. How often do you see the proverbial multitasking soccer mom texting while putting on makeup inside her soundproofed SUV?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Not to mention that many luxury car and SUV makers spend millions engineering sound proofing into their cars to eliminate loud noises coming from outside. How often do you see the proverbial multitasking soccer mom texting while putting on makeup inside her soundproofed SUV?

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot. Of the cars that I've either stripped, or worked on, I always found the big SUVs to have significantly more sound-proofing in them than even normal luxury sedans.

I always assumed this was because they wanted to prevent cabin resonance since the entire open cabin sits directly on top of the rear-differential, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the "luxury" of it.

My 2-door Ford Explorer Sport XLT, which is by no means a luxury car, has tons of sound proofing in it.

My 2002 Crown Victoria LX, which was sold as a luxury car, had maybe half the sound deadener of what my Explorer came with.

It sure is quiet in there... but when you get into some of the full size luxury SUVs, like the Escalade, the Navigator and the LX470/570... they are very quiet inside.

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

Brad

I choose to be a responsible driver and share the road with motorcycle riders, douchebags or not. I don't crowd them from behind and treat them like any other vehicle on the road. I also am more aware of their presence as I used to be a rider.
There are douchbag car drivers too. They like to race on public roads in their ricer mobiles with their noisy fart can mufflers. I was almost rear ended by a pair of these bozos one night. Lucky for me that I saw them coming and was able to get off the road to let them pass me. If I hadn't done that, I would have been rearended by someone doing well over 100 MPH.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-15-2011).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-15-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Yeah, I've noticed this a lot. Of the cars that I've either stripped, or worked on, I always found the big SUVs to have significantly more sound-proofing in them than even normal luxury sedans.

I always assumed this was because they wanted to prevent cabin resonance since the entire open cabin sits directly on top of the rear-differential, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the "luxury" of it.

My 2-door Ford Explorer Sport XLT, which is by no means a luxury car, has tons of sound proofing in it.

My 2002 Crown Victoria LX, which was sold as a luxury car, had maybe half the sound deadener of what my Explorer came with.

It sure is quiet in there... but when you get into some of the full size luxury SUVs, like the Escalade, the Navigator and the LX470/570... they are very quiet inside.

I suspect that of all the various axis that define the feel of "luxury", sound (or lack thereof) is probably one of the most important.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
To the OP: Generally, you don't have to rejet with just a pipe change. If you change pipes AND add a less restrictive intake/air cleaner then yes you will have to rejet. The bike isn't going to breathe much better with just a freer flowing exhaust. You're still sucking air in through a straw.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Monkeyman....

Unfortunately I couldn't find any Magna forums to post such a question in....

I'll probably keep it stock for now, and just keep up my situational awareness... and keep a thumb close to the horn.
PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Edited to remove doubbllee post.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-17-2011).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

NEPTUNE

10199 posts
Member since Aug 2001
I'm not clear exactly what engine you have, VF engines ranged from 500ccs to 1100ccs.
But the Magna (VF) and the Interceptor (VFR) used virtually the same engines in most models.
Even though the VFR Interceptors usually had bigger carbs and different cams (even cam gears and crankshafts in SOME years).
You may have more success finding the information you need if you go to an Interceptor forum.
Those guys are usually more interested in fine tuning than the typical cruiser owner.
Hope this helps some.
I almost bought a 750 Interceptor once......I wish I had!

Edited to add: Unless you spend every single second at WOT, you won't need to rejet if you remove the baffles.
Give it a try, you might enjoy the throaty sound, and if you don't you can always put them back in.
You won't gain any noticable power, but like the "cold air intakes" so many people buy for their cars, it'll SOUND faster with the baffles out, and cost nothing.

Hope you enjoy your ride!

------------------

Drive safely!

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-17-2011).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Thanks Monkeyman....

Unfortunately I couldn't find any Magna forums to post such a question in....

http://www.westcoastmagnas....pe=Forum&genre=Magna
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forum.php
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
On a personal note, there's a guy who zips up my street on occasion with an exhaust that's gotta be over 100dB; you can hear it echoing off buildings half a mile away. When I'm in my front yard working I have to wear hearing protection in case he comes by.

Really James, wow !

Gotta be over 100dB's ? I call because my meter is pegged.
I call on two fronts. Do you even own a decibel meter ? I do. Bought it when the police said my music was too loud. Curiosity has intrigued me to measure many sounds. Decibel levels drop considerably the further away one is from the production of the sound. You don't even know what a 100db's sounds like. I do.
The second front which is is that I work in an environment which does produce sounds in excess of 100Db's. Extended exposure to such noise levels does require hearing protection. You probably look like a ninny standing in your yard with hearing protection JUST IN CASE a motorcycle comes by your house.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 04-20-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock