Started on: 04-14-2011 11:46 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: theBDub on 04-15-2011 12:51 AM
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I want to get Ubuntu, but I have some things on my Win7 that can't be replaced or saved in another place. They aren't vital, but I just don't wanna lose them just yet (just a couple programs I don't have the CDs to).

Is there any way to get Linux working without changing my windows at all? I have an external drive, but it also has TONS of music/video that I don't have any space for elsewhere.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I'd leave the Windows 7 partition alone, and just boot off a Live CD... or use a separate Drive.
You know what happens, you set EVERYTHING up wthe way you want it 9two Parts, Dual boot, sweet x2)

thenm a Windows update blows everything up. Or the HDD fails. Or you turn into a zucchini.(HATE when that happens)

or maybe I'd buy another External (networked or RAID or whatever) and keep that data separate from the OSes...

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Why don't you just set up virtual machines?

http://download.cnet.com/VM...784.html?tag=mncol;3

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 04-14-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I want to get Ubuntu, but I have some things on my Win7 that can't be replaced or saved in another place. They aren't vital, but I just don't wanna lose them just yet (just a couple programs I don't have the CDs to).

Is there any way to get Linux working without changing my windows at all? I have an external drive, but it also has TONS of music/video that I don't have any space for elsewhere.

Any modern distribution has a partition editor that will shrink your windows partition to make space, if you have the room that is.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 04-14-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

You cant create new disk images with player last i heard ( tho you can with 'server', but its not as gfx friendly since its meant to run servers that provide services for people that cant run ESXi for some reason, and not for publishing local desktops... that is what 'workstation' is for, but its not free ).

Virtual Box is fully functional and free, as would be any QEMU based emulator.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
With Ubuntu use "Virtual CD" as mentioned above, its Ubuntu without installation on the HD at all.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

With Ubuntu use "Virtual CD" as mentioned above, its Ubuntu without installation on the HD at all.

And slow as the creeping crud.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

And slow as the creeping crud.

My bad, I forgot to mention that. LOL!!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Install it on a USB drive
http://www.tuxradar.com/con...inux-usb-flash-drive

Sure its not going to be as fast as your hard drive but it will be a lot faster than a CD.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Ubuntu has a partition manager built into the installer that can adjust your partitions without destroying windows. I installed Ubuntu alongside a Vista installation, and it resized the partitions no problem. The next time I booted vista it ran a disk scan of some sort and everything adjusted fine.

I did however, have to manually install and configure the Grub bootloader, for some reason the installer failed to do so.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Okay.

Linux is awesome.
PFF
System Bot
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

I second the VM idea.. but if you can't afford VM Ware.. take a look at Virtual Box..

http://www.virtualbox.org

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2. See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction.

Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), Solaris and OpenSolaris, OS/2, and OpenBSD.

VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while Oracle ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
If you are a student and/or have a .edu email address, you can download MS Virtual Machine (along with a lot more other stuff) for free:

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I just put it on my hard drive. CD was too slow for me... VM would have been too slow so I didn't even try it. I tried my external but I didn't want to download the portable version because I'd already downloaded the desktop version and... well I'm lazy.

It's SO fast. I mean I have Win7 on here as well and that's fast. Really fast... but this is awesome. The internet especially is just BOOM there.

------------------

I'm young, impulsive, and naïve; but I'm learning.

‎"Of all the illusions that beset mankind none is quite so curious as that tendency to suppose that we are mentally and morally superior to those who differ from us in opinion."
- Elbert Hubbard

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock