Started on: 04-11-2011 02:50 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: JazzMan on 04-15-2011 10:56 AM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering if Congress will hold hearings on the matters..... Yeah! Wishful thinking.

Stuck accelerator or steering wheel falling off? Which would you choose?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
interesting... just one car, or are others running into this?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
How about a little less blatent sensationalism and even the slightest hit as to the cause?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I wonder where this one was made, Ohio or Korea?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Thats what they get when they buy asian built/ or designed junk. It was probably designed with a sheet metal screw to hold it on. Asian cars are huge on putting things together with aluminum bolts and screws. Tracker was the first I noticed that on. Anything I take apart always has all the screws snap off.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-11-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...RCMN-11V221-8865.pdf

one out of 2,100

where it was made I can't say, but that is a lot better than 2 million recalled by Toiletota.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Anything I take apart always has all the screws snap off.

Helps if you use a screwdriver to take screws off.
A big hammer and a rock will only go so far.....
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I wonder was it put on properly? was it put on ALL the way? looks sorta like it was put on improperly, and not all the way on, and then it stripped when she was drivin'.

Dang.

Glad they were able to keep control of the car...

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I'll take steering wheel falling off please, Wink.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

one out of 2,100

where it was made I can't say, but that is a lot better than 2 million recalled by Toiletota.

Being a Cruze, it should've been made in Lordstown, Ohio.

So, Wichita, the GM UAW is recalling cars, eh? You know the UAW doesn't recall anything, right?

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert, but it looks to be missing a big bolt that would be keeping all that together, the sleeve looks stripped out as well. I don't think I have ever seen that. I've always had to use a puller to get the steering wheel to come off.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I'm no expert, but it looks to be missing a big bolt that would be keeping all that together, the sleeve looks stripped out as well. I don't think I have ever seen that. I've always had to use a puller to get the steering wheel to come off.

Brad

The steering wheel is not attached like our Fiero’s. It has a bolt instead of a nut like we have.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...CRIT-11V221-7325.pdf

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
From what I have been able to find on a Google and NHTSA search that one particular car, and only that one particular car was that the steering wheel that was out on the column was wrong or a repair. I can’t be sure I looked at a lot of links yesterday. And will post from my history just some of the links I looked at.

You decide.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...RCAK-11V221-9988.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...CDNN-11V221-7325.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...RCMN-11V221-7325.pdf

This link is the one I was talking about, below.

More that I looked at yesterday.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...lls/recallsearch.cfm

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.go...=RCL&fromPublic=true

I don’t know how these newer small cars are attached but to me it sounds like it was a repair gone wrong on just one vehicle. But at least GM is recalling every one of those cars within one day of it happening. Something Toiletota tried to avoid, Recalling anything at all to save face.

Steve
------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-12-2011).]

dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
http://blogs.wsj.com/driver...mod=google_news_blog

Looks like they have resolved what they think the problem was. Also looks like Government Motors thought it was enough of a problem that it justified a change the assembly line equipment, so as not to allow the wrong part to be installed in the first place.

I can't imagine a change to the assemble line equipment if there wasn't at least a fair number of wheels that made it through that were wrong. They may have corrected them before they were shipped though, and this particular vehicle didn't have the 'nut behind the wheel' tightened properly.

Still, a formal recall is being done, so Government Motors must also have reason to believe that the problem could potentially be more widespread....
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

one out of 2,100

Steve

And 1 more that actually had a fundamental problem as opposed to the two million Toyota's that were in the end cleared of problems after the Obama administrations witch hunt against the company. All the NHTSA reports cleared Toyota of any wrongdoing, and found that all the probelsm were caused by the thickskulled drivers mashing the accelerator pedal as opposed to the brake.

You didn't see any coverage of this though in the news.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black Lotus:

Helps if you use a screwdriver to take screws off.
A big hammer and a rock will only go so far.....

Screwdriver snaps the screws off, rachet breaks the 10MM bolts....nearly every time. Dealer sent me a Toyota pick up to put a front bumper on. All 4 of the mounting bolts broke off. Not a huge deal because I had a new bumper to put on. Also the bottom spoiler was attached across the whole bottom with 8mm hex head screws...all of which I had to use an air chisel on................continue......You know how much I spend a year just on buying replacement nuts, bolts and screws. I buy them by the boxfull from Midwest Nut & Bolt. And dont forget all the drill bits i have to buy to drill out the busted ones and cut off wheels.

add: btw, reason I was replacing the bumper is there was only about 30% of it left. The whole bumper had baseball size rust holes, along with the rocker panels and bottom of the bed sides.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-12-2011).]

FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you should stop ogre fisting the screws and 10mm bolts, Ive worked on thousands of japanese and american vehicles in my years as a tech and never had issues with breaking screws/bolts on anything that wasnt 20+ years old and from the rust belt.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

Sounds like you should stop ogre fisting the screws and 10mm bolts, Ive worked on thousands of japanese and american vehicles in my years as a tech and never had issues with breaking screws/bolts on anything that wasnt 20+ years old and from the rust belt.

Look at Roger's posting location and your posting location, then think about it...
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:
All the NHTSA reports cleared Toyota of any wrongdoing, and found that all the probelsm were caused by the thickskulled drivers mashing the accelerator pedal as opposed to the brake.

You didn't see any coverage of this though in the news.

That's because the possibility that a significant number of people couldn't keep the brake and accelerator pedals straight on their Toyotas, but everyone driving any other make managed to get it correct is a pretty ridiculous belief.

But hey, keep believing what you want. The Easter bunny will be around in about a weekand a half, too.......
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

That's because the possibility that a significant number of people couldn't keep the brake and accelerator pedals straight on their Toyotas, but everyone driving any other make managed to get it correct is a pretty ridiculous belief.

But hey, keep believing what you want. The Easter bunny will be around in about a weekand a half, too.......

big feet... big pedals, or pedals too close together?? BTW, engineers from NASA were called in to help and they couldn't find anything wrong either. It seems like a design issue, and not a software issue based on the lack of findings related to software problems.
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Thats what they get when they buy asian built/ or designed junk. It was probably designed with a sheet metal screw to hold it on. Asian cars are huge on putting things together with aluminum bolts and screws. Tracker was the first I noticed that on. Anything I take apart always has all the screws snap off.

Actually the Cruze was designed and tested in Europe by Opel not Asia and is built in North America not Asia. Just my .02 cents.

Shelby
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected then. Most times these little pieces of crap are from asia. I dont follow or pay any attention to anything that even looks it.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
BTW, engineers from NASA were called in to help and they couldn't find anything wrong either.

Isn't that kind of like having a proctologist do a pelvic exam?
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Look Wichita, FORD UAW is recalling trucks because the airbags go off at inappropriate times http://www.autoblog.com/201...loons-by-1-2m-units/

I wonder if Congress will hold hearings on the matters.

Stuck accelerator, steering wheel falling off, or airbag exploding into your face randomly? Which would you choose?

Got a whole lot more than 1 vehicle that's had this issue, too.....

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
What does the UAW have to do with a car recall? ... Answer.. Nothing..

Nice attempt at turning a non-political issue into a political one though.. Maby next time people will fall for it.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Nice attempt at turning a non-political issue into a political one though.. Maby next time people will fall for it.

Just Maby [sic].

I does seem to put the "union proud" religious nuts on the defense. UAW has a large ownership stake in GM off the backs of American Taxpayers. But hey, it's a new GM and they are changing to do a few good things, one may be that they will move their headquarters out of Michigan.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-15-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

He was trying to use negative association, a standard propaganda technique. Pick something bad that you can associate your target with, then keep repeating it to drive it viral if you can; once it becomes a meme then build on it. Only in this case he suffered premature ejaculation and his political wad wound up hanging off his ear...

WRT the Toyotas, I remember seeing an engineer who was able to replicate the problem with the throttle. The problem with the throttle on new cars (not just the Prius) is that it's no longer physically connected to the engine. Instead it uses software and sensors. IMHO this is a bad idea for cars which are subject to all the abuse and neglect that people do to their rides. In addition, the Prius doesn't actually have a true ignition switch. Instead, the key only switches a sensor, so turning off the key does not turn off the power to the ECM or anything else. So, get a sensor glitch (which is how the engineer replicated the loss of throttle problem) coupled with the inability to physically kill the car and you have the potential for some major problems. I'd drive a Prius in a heartbeat, they're extremely well engineered cars, but I'd add in a manual kill switch so that I could physically kill the car in an emergency.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock