Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Hizz O-ness Gives Fantastic Advice on Saving Gas (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Hizz O-ness Gives Fantastic Advice on Saving Gas by Formula88
Started on: 04-08-2011 11:10 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: Scottzilla79 on 04-12-2011 04:38 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
http://www.thetruthaboutcar...eed-is-a-hybrid-van/

“I know some of these big guys, they’re all still driving their big SUVs. You know, they got their big monster trucks and everything. You’re one of them? Well, now, here’s my point. If you’re complaining about the price of gas and you’re only getting eight miles a gallon–(laughter)–you may have a big family, but it’s probably not that big. How many you have? Ten kids, you say? Ten kids? (Laughter.) Well, you definitely need a hybrid van then. “ — President Obama, speaking at a wind farm to a worker.

It's always nice when your president responds to your concerns by laughing at you. He's so in touch with the common man.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Is there even a hybrid van on the market?
Did he assume that the "big guys" drive SUV's ?
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
What an asshat I wonder if he's planning on giving those hybrid vans away then? Disillusioned prick...

I didn't vote for him, so ya'll can't blame me
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Most efficient van on the market only gets 25-hwy (if you're lucky).

Not much better than 21-hwy out of a midsize SUV.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Is there even a hybrid van on the market?
Did he assume that the "big guys" drive SUV's ?

Current 2011 model vehicles: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm
No hybrid vans listed.
I didn't see any hybrid minivans, either.
You can get full size hybrid SUVs, like the Chevy Tahoe Hybrid. It is rated at 20 city / 23 highway.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-08-2011).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I think the President acted stupidly in suggesting that a citizen use a product that is not on the market.

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
It's always nice when your president responds to your concerns by laughing at you. He's so in touch with the common man.

What else can we expect from an elitist?

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

What else can we expect from an elitist?

Hey now, I resent that Pretentious disillusioned idiot is more fitting than elitist when referring to our wonderful messiah of US politics

Calling him an elitist makes the rest of us elitists look bad

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 04-09-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Hey now, I resent that Pretentious disillusioned idiot is more fitting than elitist when referring to our wonderful messiah of US politics

Calling him an elitist makes the rest of us elitists look bad

snicker, snicker

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

You'd think he would NOT have left the ditch so deep when he parted the waters..........

And how come there aren't a kajillion wind turbines over on the right side of the picture?
The alternative energy in the promised land is what--unicorn farts?

PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I bet the person that he suggested buy a hybrid cannot afford to buy one anyway.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
He will be able to afford one, after ObamaCar is passed!
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking that myself. But he has no idea about having to afford things.
"You can't afford a hybrid van? Just get one of your friends to buy one, then sell it to you well below market value. Problem Solved."
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

He will be able to afford one, after ObamaCar is passed!

I LOLd. Good one.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
What a smug prick.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You'd think he would NOT have left the ditch so deep when he parted the waters..........

And how come there aren't a kajillion wind turbines over on the right side of the picture?
The alternative energy in the promised land is what--unicorn farts?

Even OPM doesn't trump NIMBY. The windmills couldn't be built because they'd mess up the scenic view.

But you may be onto something with the unicorn farts....
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-09-2011 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Well, you definitely need a hybrid van then

Telling me what i need? That isn't his job or his call. He needs to get out of my life and wallet. Arrogant SOB.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Telling me what i need? That isn't his job or his call. He needs to get out of my life and wallet. Arrogant SOB.

It is, according to Obama and the Democrats in Congress that passed ObamaCare. They have the authority to tell you what you need and what you have to buy because of the Commerce clause in the Constitution. (that's their interpretation of it)

If you don't do what they say, you'll pay the price - literally, like the fines for not buying insurance or the 90% tax rate Congress wanted to put on the AIG bonuses because the people who received the bonuses didn't willingly give them back when told to.

Oh, and it makes you a racist, too.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-09-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh yes the common man with ten kids??

How is it Obama is supposed to make world gas prices go down again? Oh wait... he is apparently trying to start to change the massive dependance on Oil.

And why should others care if someone pays more because they choose a vehicle that is hard on gas. I thought that's what the free market and freedom were all about, do what you want, including in terms of what you drive but hey keeps the demand up.
PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Wow that was you he was talking to?? Cool, it must be tough with 10 kids, certainly you didn't expect it to be expensive to raise ten children when you decided to have them and now out of nowhere gas prices are up. Life sucks when other people do things to make your life hard like that. (kidding...well sort of... more sarcasm I suppose)

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 04-10-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:
How is it Obama is supposed to make world gas prices go down again? Oh wait... he is apparently trying to start to change the massive dependance on Oil.

He could have started by NOT imposing the drilling ban in the gulf. That would affect the oil futures market. He made the situation worse by fighting for the ban by appealing the ruling against it in court.

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

He could have started by NOT imposing the drilling ban in the gulf. That would affect the oil futures market. He made the situation worse by fighting for the ban by appealing the ruling against it in court.

Not sure that would have made much difference and I think this was discussed pretty well in another recent thread but a valid point none the less.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
using hydrogen to mix with what ever fuel your vehicle uses you will extend the Miles you get from a tank of gas BY UP TO 30% and you will have nothing out the exhaust but steam so you will not be contributing to your countrys smog problems, all for a cost of $400AUD. Easy to fit , just like wiring up driving lights
HawkesburyHydrogen.com
+61412119530
+61448119310

[This message has been edited by proff (edited 04-10-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
While I think Boogie Woogie Bama is an idiot he is right about hybrid minivans being available now and they have been since 09.

Top Hybrid Minivan Models For 2009
The latest consumer statistics show an increasing number of purchased hybrid minivans in 2008 because of the increasing oil prices where the price per barrel peaked at $147 last June 2008. Although prices have sharply decreased since the historic peak, more people are sticking to the opinion that hybrid minivans are the way to go for 2009. Thus, we are seeing more manufacturers competing in this market. Manufacturers are pouring dollars into extensive marketing campaigns, and research and development to make hybrid minivans more affordable to mass consumers.
One of the reasons why hybrid minivans are popular is because it hits the right balance of general purpose and function, seating capacity for group travel, and low cost. Hybrid minivans are great for families who need a car for everyday use. Hybrid minivans also have a more streamlined and appealing appearance with a distinct design that will let your neighbors know that you own a hybrid.
Major car manufacturers pour a lot of money into research and development, so they can keep the cost down for consumers and gain a larger market share in the future. Continuous innovation is the name of the game for these manufacturers if they ever want to become competitive in the future. Although Toyota has come ahead with their Prius line, the Japanese automaker knows that it will be facing a much tougher competition ahead. Let us look at the line-up of the top hybrid minivan models for 2009.

Toyota Sienna Hybrid Minivan
With the Prius being the icon of consumer-class hybrid vehicles, Toyota become known as the company that brought us supra-efficient vehicles, thanks to their steadfast commitment to the technology since the early 1990's. The 2009 Toyota Sienna Hybrid Minivan is a significant upgrade from the Toyota Estima.
The 2009 Toyota Sienna is considered the first of the "true minivans" that will enter the US retail market. The 2.4-liter, four cylinder engine is comparable to hybrid SUV engines like the 2008 Highlander and Lexus SUVs. The Sienna can also clock up to 270 hp and a 0 to 60 mph acceleration of 8 seconds. The four-wheel electric drive system aids the gas engine, while the aerodynamic body design minimizes the drag of the minivan for more fuel efficiency. In addition, the insulated roof design and humidity-sensing air conditioning system further decreases fuel consumption. With a fuel efficiency of 40 miles per gallon, this family vehicle is definitely a must-watch for 2009.
2009 Toyota Prius Base Hybrid Minivan
Following the success of the Toyota Prius, many expect the 2009 update to be on par with the previous model. The 2009 Prius hybrid minivan could go on sale at a tune of $22,000, which is a bargain price considering the reported 49 miles per gallon in fuel efficiency. The 2009 Toyota Prius Base sports a 1.5 liter, 16 valve engine running at 110 horsepower and 5000 rpm. This hybrid minivan comes with a lot of internal options such as anti-theft and locks, vehicle stability control system, GPS Navigation, premium surround sound from JBL, MP3 player, and Bluetooth®
Like all hybrid cars, the Toyota Prius packs the most punch given the price. Most owners of the Prius are happy with the snappy performance and fuel efficiency. If you own a Prius, you will be reminded how good you have it every time you pass by a gasoline station.
2009 Honda Civic Hybrid
Honda is the only other car manufacturer that offers close to minivan capacity with a hybrid engine. That model is the 2009 Honda Civic hybrid. This beauty sports a 1.3L, 8-valve engine running at 110hp at 6000 rpm. The Civic hybrid model also features automatic transmission. This Honda model is one of the few cars that can match the fuel efficiency of Toyota hybrid minivans. At 40 miles per gallon, you can bring the Civic hybrid everywhere without worrying about gas prices.
The 2009 Honda Civic hybrid is available in Alabaster Silver Metallic, Atomic Blue Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Magnetic Pearl, and Polished White Metallic.
Hybrid vehicles will be the hottest purchase items in 2009. However, it will take some time before car manufacturers finally say yes to the market and offer various minivan hybrids. In addition to the Prius, Sienna, and the Honda Civic, you will find either hybrid cars, or hybrid utility vehicles. Unfortunately, the sweet middle spot that the market wants, such as hybrid minivans and hybrid crossover SUVs, are not yet fully engaged in the market.
Other Hybrid Minivan Models
If you are looking for an alternative for hybrid minivans other than Toyota Prius, your best bet is models such as the Toyota Highlander hybrid, 2009 Lexus Hybrid Sedan, or the 2009 Saturn Vue. None of these cars offer close to the fuel efficiency that the Sienna, Prius, and the Civic offer. One problem with the previous Prius updates is that the car has a slow and laggy feel. The 2009 update promises to be much faster and sleeker while maintaining the excellent fuel efficiency that it is known for.
Other notable hybrid models that you should watch out for are the 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid, 2009 Ford Escape hybrid, 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid, and the 2009 Lexus RX 400h.
Hybrid Minivan Buying Guide And Resource
If you are considering a hybrid minivan next year, it is best to start your research now. Read relevant auto magazines or blog articles regarding upcoming hybrid minivan models. If you are just considering buying a hybrid vehicle now, it is important that you understand the physics behind these cars, so you can have a better grasp on the market before you buy.
There are dedicated websites for green cars and hybrid models. If you want to know more about hybrid minivans, you can start your search with any reputable auto consumer website. Most consumer websites have a dedicated section for hybrid vehicles. For market trends, reviews, and roundups, you can go to sites like Yahoo Auto, Hybridcars.com, or Hybridcarstrucksvans.com.

http://www.hybridminivan.net/page3.html

----------------------------------
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-10-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
That article must have been written for another market as the honda site does not list a hybrid Odyssey. Also how the heck is a subcompact close to a minivan?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

That article must have been written for another market as the honda site does not list a hybrid Odyssey. Also how the heck is a subcompact close to a minivan?

But there are hybrid minivans. Correct?
http://www.toyota.com/sienna/
http://www.hybrid-vehicles....-hybrid-minivans.htm
Steve

------------------

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
How is the guy with ten kids going to afford a $22,000 vehicle when he can't afford the gas for the one he has now?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

How is the guy with ten kids going to afford a $22,000 vehicle when he can't afford the gas for the one he has now?

Better question,
How does a guy with 10 kids afford 10 kids?
And why hasn’t he tied his dick in a knot?
Steve

------------------

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
But there are hybrid minivans. Correct?
http://www.toyota.com/sienna/
http://www.hybrid-vehicles....-hybrid-minivans.htm
Steve

oh so he has to move to another country with his ten kids ?

Btw that toyota link does not have a hybrid Sienna. It lists prius, camry, and highlander, a small suv.

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 04-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Better question,
Steve

Some can, my uncle for example. They had 10 children ( not all at once however ), and were able to afford to properly take care of and provide for them.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

While I think Boogie Woogie Bama is an idiot he is right about hybrid minivans being available now and they have been since 09.

He didn't say minivan, he said van, a "hybrid van." If you need to carry 10 passengers, a minivan isn't going to get the job done, unless you're carrying clowns.

But either way, to me the actual vehicle mentioned is less telling than his reaction and laughter at the man's question.

Better question,
Steve

Even better question,
Who are you, me, Obama, or anyone else to say how many kids a person is allowed to have? Or what kind of vehicle they need to drive?

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-10-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
2 out of 9 of you make perfect sense.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

2 out of 9 of you make perfect sense.

Thank you for recognizing me in what ever of those categories I belong in.

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Even better question,
Who are you, me, Obama, or anyone else to say how many kids a person is allowed to have? Or what kind of vehicle they need to drive?

Actually if he has 10 kids, he would need a 12 passengers van with him and the wife now wouldn’t it? To split hairs.

The pres is an idiot, I think I said that by the name I used and my opinion of him in other threads. I bet he doesn’t know a thing about cars. Other than the fact that he gets driven around in one, at taxpayers expense.

Now does he need to ride in an 5 MPG limo? As far as I am concerned NO. But then we have to protect him with all that BP glass. So no sicko can get to him.

Most people don’t have a clue about cars and trucks now days. Open the hood on just about any new truck and most would find it hard to locate anything. It is all covered by plastic, to make it look pretty and hide things so you can’t see leaks. Then have to bring it to a shop to get work done.

Steve

------------------

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
True story. A friend' brother owns Obama's former car. She told me what it is, but can't remember exactly. I think its a Lesabre. Was definitely not a hybrid or subcompact.

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 04-10-2011).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

True story. A friend' brother owns Obama's former car. She told me what it is, but can't remember exactly. I think its a Lesabre. Was definitely not a hybrid or subcompact.

So your friend's brother paid over $100,000 for a 2005 Chrysler 300C?
http://www.diversityinc.com...ar-for-Sale-on-eBay/

Is your friend's brother Tim O'Boyle, or did he buy it from O'Boyle?
http://www.luxist.com/2009/...a-cars-then-and-now/

More to the point, your friend's "brother" is a "she?"

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-10-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I suppose he's only owned one car in his life? The person who told me this story is a little old lady at church and it was her brother that bought it. I will ask her as her name is not O'Boyle I don't know what her maiden name is. He bought it off a used car lot.
A Chrysler 300 is no gas sipper either so my point is still valid even if you don't believe my story. (it's not really my story, little old lady told me)
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

http://www.thetruthaboutcar...eed-is-a-hybrid-van/

He lied! I mean, he FLAT OUT LIED!

Firstly, just because we MAY have 2% of the world's oil preserves, and use 25% of the consumed oil per year... we aren't consuming 100% of the world's oil preserves every year! Not even close! If we started drilling more in America we CAN supply our own petroleum based energy for quite awhile!

Also, he said most petroleum use is in trucks and SUVs.... Is he serious? It's in PLASTICS... not even automobiles at all!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock