Started on: 04-08-2011 01:00 PM
Replies: 214
Last post by: Zeb on 05-01-2011 12:25 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I make my desision tomorrow.

Well??????????
"tomorrow" was 5 days ago................

(I own pg 5 of The Cliffhanger)

(No offense to any of the "Cliffs here)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Thrusday.

But a new wrinkle has appeared; An AMF rep also wants a meeting with me on Thrusday.
He has a center close to where I am right now that needs a head mechanic.
I met him in Alaska a year or so back when I was closing up shop when he was up there to see if AMF might want to bid on our machines.
He was impressed with the condition I had kept the 50 year old machines & said he would keep me in mind if a head mechanic posistion ever came up.
And now something has come available.

When it rains it pours....I should be happy that there very well may be a bidding war very soon, but i'm not.
I'm not cut out for this kind of stuff, self-promotion, negotiations, planning, desisions, weighing options, accepting change, etc.
I just turn wrench.
Well, I used to.
Lately, it seems I am a professional test-taker, by continually being put to some test or another, and relitivly poor at it by the way.

I'm too old for this shizz.
And i'm in well over my intelli-gunce lebel.

"When you go over something again and again and again and again like I have, certain question get answered. Others spring up. The mind plays tricks on you. You play tricks back! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-20-2011).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

But a new wrinkle has appeared; An AMF rep also wants a meeting with me on Thrusday.
He has a center close to where I am right now that needs a head mechanic.

I was hoping something like this would happen. You need an agent.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just keep this in mind during the negotiations. If handled properly, this can only assist you in getting the best deal (even if that entails not returning to Alaska).

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of an old roughneck (oilfield) I once worked with. He knew all the ins and outs of drilling--he had done it for decades and was happy as a rat in a feed bag right there pulling slips and latching tongs all day long. Didn't want to be the driller--didn't even want to work full time in the derrick or as a motorman--just wanted to be a floorhand. They even wanted to make him a toolpusher, which is the guy in charge of all the hands and the rig itself. He didn't want it, tho he was the guy the pusher and even the company man went to if there was a problem. He was about your age. No matter what they offered, he turned it down, but because he had so much experience, they kept pushing and pushing wanting hime to move on up. He finally quit over it and went to work elsewhere, but it was the same story there. It wasn't that he couldn't do it--he just didn't want to, because he just didn't want the headache or any responsibility for the PEOPLE that would be working under him, and he didn't want the headache of paperwork, morning reports, accident logs, drilling logs etc. He finally just got too old to do the floor work and they let him go. There he was, around 60, with no job, no skills other than oilfield, and still had a family to support. He coulda had it easy the last 15 years of his working life, sitting in a toolpusher's trailer filling out reports and overseeing operations, clean hands and a nice income but instead, he had to live off his savings and wait till he was old enough to file for Social Security.............
think about it.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking reality show all of a sudden.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
The "Peter Principle" was a book that I read some forty years ago about you rise to your level of incompetance. People need to work where they are comfortable and are good at it. Many times people advance up to jobs where they are incompetant in that position. They stagnate there, because the people who advanced them to that position, don't want to admit that they made a mistake. While in the incompetant position they frustrate their co workers and are unhappy.

The caveat is that they may be better at a higher position of responsibility, but will not get that chance or they can "backtrack" to their previous position. You need to find your happy place in the workforce.

But Boonie it is nice to be wanted. Best of luck with your decision. What are to cost of living differential between Alaska and where you are now? That was one of my considerations when I relocated to Florida from NY. It was about 30% less expensive in Florida that where I was living in upstae NY. But I was retired and was going on a fixed income. I couldn't afford to live in that NY area.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it might be OUR year after all, Boonie
Don't do what I have always done: undervalue yourself because others have told you all your life 'you ain't worth a barrel of '..whatever
Stand tall...you will be surprised how tall you ARE!! And so will everybody else Took me 64 years to work THAT one out!
Nick
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
There are a few things I'd look at REAL hard.

1. How secure do you feel in your position now?
  2. How secure do you think the other positions may or may not be?
  3. What type of salary/benefits are they offering you in Alaska?
  4. What type of salary/benefits is the new job offering you in Washington?
  5. What type of salary/benefits are you making now?
  6. Are you going to have to move for the new job in Washington?
  7. What is the commute/cost of living expenses going to be for each job?
  8. Does the person offering you a job in Washington know about your self perceived limitations?

Just a few things right off the top of my head.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I did my negotiations with Alaska.
After everything was said and done, they tried to lowball me.
The deal had so many hiden cavets in it, I was dissappointed.
For someone that wanted me so bad, the deal just didn't show that, where the rubber hits the road.
I said I will crunch the new numbers and get back with them.

I then went to the other Head Mechanic interview here in Washington.
The place is beautiful, nice workshop, very nice management, very good pay (almost what the Alaska one offered BEFORE the lowballin'), and they like me & think I will make a perfect fit for them.
They are very respected, very busy, and out in the country a little farther, kinda.
So I wouldn't have to spend $9,000 relocating, it's closer to where I live right now, and they are going to hand-hold me until I get to full speed.

I took the job on the spot.
I start in two weeks.

Now I have to tell my current job, which is not going to be easy.
They really gave me a chance at learning new machines and they were pretty nice to me.
All I can give them is 2 weeks notice and a big thank you from my heart.
But they are not going to be happy.

And I have to tell Alaska.
They are going to be PISSED.
But if they had not tried to change the deal and lowball me, they coulda' had me.

Then all the people that called me from Alaska to say they heard I might be comming back.
They will be dissappointed.

So alot of people are going to be not too happy with me.

But all my logic told me to take this job and stay right here.
And I pray I make it work, for a good long time.

I hope I did the right thing.
Mi Vida Loca...strange days indeed.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-21-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Way to go, sounds like you thought it out and made your decision. Can't do much more than that.

As for the place you are leaving? You have a better opportunity when has that ever been a bad thing? You don't think they would think twice letting you go if their situation changed do you?

This new place sounds great. Congrats...celebrate your decision.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 04-21-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
You made the right choice. But stick with it. Don't let the other two jobs try to convince you to change your mind. Congrats on the job offer.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

You don't think they would think twice letting you go if their situation changed do you?

Nope.
But as you know, i'm different.
Waaaaaaaay different.

Originally posted by newf:

This new place sounds great. Congrats...

This new place is the reason I moved here.
Really. It is the dream job I came here looking for.
I have now completed everything I set out to do.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-21-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Now I have to tell my current job, which is not going to be easy.
They really gave me a chance at learning new machines and they were pretty nice to me.
I can give them 2 weeks notice and a big thank you from my heart.
But theu are not going to be happy.

Why?
The last I heard was that they were on your azz about not progressing like they thought you should.

But if they had not tried to change the deal and lowball me, they coulda' had me.

Their loss. Better to find out now than after you had pulled up stakes and dragged your azz (and your family) all the way back.
My opinion? Farg 'em.

Then all the people that called me from Alaska to say they heard I might be comming back.

They'll get over it.

But all my logic told me to take this job and stay right here.
And I pray I make it work, for a good long time.

I hope I did the right thing.

Based upon what I've heard, I believe you did.
So much easier than moving X-thousand miles, or putting up with people who are not satisfied with how you're meeting their expectations.

You have a great deal to offer. Please give yourself some credit.

Ohhh.... CONGRATS, dude!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Why?
The last I heard was that they were on your azz about not progressing like they thought you should.

True, but I think they did like me.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! Next thing you know there will be bidding wars, and fistfights in the streets over you.

See how friggin GREAT you are? Just wait. When word gets out, the head guy at AMF better watch his back....
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
You made the decision I didn't think you would make.

And it was a wonderful decision.

Good for you! Your wife is probably very happy, as are we all. Good job getting your dream job. I couldn't be happier for you.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

True, but I think they did like me.

Ya' catch more flies with honey...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I suspected something funky was going on with that offer from Alaska. Congrats Boonie, you outsmarted 'em.

Interesting tactic by the owner of the bowling center... spreading the news of your impending return.

Nothing like putting pressure on you by having your friends up there get all caught up in the excitement.

Remind us again... Just what have you got in writing up to this point?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I told ya he was staying. How much is in the pool?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
nice to see everything is workin out for ya boonie.. If I'm ever out that way for work I'll be sure to give you a shout.
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
Sounds frickin great, nicely done.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Ya' catch more flies with honey...

Never understood that saying, everybody knows what flies are really attracted to. A big steaming pile of ****
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Congratulations! Next thing you know there will be bidding wars, and fistfights in the streets over you.

Then the dance offs start!!!

Brad
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I took the job on the spot.
I start in two weeks.

Congrats. I think you did the right thing.
As far as Alaska and your current employer being upset, heh, don't feel bad. You are a business. Whose mission is to take care of yourself and family. Your time and expertise is your product. Every business wants the maximum return on it's investment and your time in mastering your craft is an investment just as much as if someone spent their time going to college.
We get to bowl for free, yes ?
By the way, what's up with having to have special bowling shoes ? I hate renting them suckers.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff, man - good stuff.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

That is all.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Congratulations Boonie, you made the right choice!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Places that lowball, and junk like that don't deserve good employees. Let them be pissed.
All the best to ya Boonie.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, keep taking care of yourself!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Thanx everyone.
I told Alaska and they sweetened the deal.
But they were too late.
I have already shook hands on the new place.

Today I tell my current employer.
Not been an easy week.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
The head manger at my work was pisssssssssed.
He wouldn't talk to me & dirty-looked me all day.
For trying to better myself.

The other 2 mangers were slightly bummed, but understanding.

I called the new job to let them know that the hammer has been dropped, and they went on & on about how excited they were to have me and they have all ready told the mechanics that will be under me how great I am going to fit in.

They almost got me covinced that I like MYSELF!
When I think about me I touch myself.......

WARNING! ~ Never buy into your own P.R.!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-22-2011).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
hope all goes well
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Only time will tell who was right and who was wrong! The important part is you're trying to better yourself. I'd rather say "I tried" then "It was too hard so I died in a pit starving", y'know?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

The head manger at my work was pisssssssssed.
He wouldn't talk to me & dirty-looked me all day.

Mention that last fact to your current manager and perhaps he'll be less upset about your upcoming departure.

PS. Do not, I repeat do NOT mention that last fact to your new boss.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

I have now completed everything I set out to do.

I hope some day I can say this. But I don't even know what to set out to do yet.

Well, Congratulations Boonie. Can you count me in on some of the movie royalties of your life comes out?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

I hope some day I can say this. But I don't even know what to set out to do yet.

I should have said "the only thing I ever set out to do".

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-23-2011).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Mention that last fact to your current manager and perhaps he'll be less upset about your upcoming departure.

PS. Do not, I repeat do NOT mention that last fact to your new boss.

Maybe that last fact is WHY the new guy hired Boonie? After all, he said "You'll fit right in."
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...They almost got me covinced that I like MYSELF!

WARNING! ~ Never buy into your own P.R.!

I so want to post a YouTube link, but I don't want to derail the thread.

Ehh... If you don't want to buy into your P.R., at least save it for future reference.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Hey congrats. Hope it all works out.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock