Some people struggle on $174,000 pa by starlightcoupe
Started on: 04-03-2011 10:30 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: carnut122 on 04-06-2011 11:03 PM
starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Interesting: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsm...ternet.php?ref=fpblg

I wonder how I made ends meet on a retired sergeant's pay. Oh, I remember. I paid my way through college, didn't get student loans and lived within my means.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Ah, the beauty of not having any debt.

------------------
I been had money.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Some people struggle on $174,000

I wish I had 174k to struggle on...
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
This is the kinda guy that needs to learn how to keep it in his pants and tell his wife her stay at home days are done if he struggles on that kind of pay.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

This is the kinda guy that needs to learn how to keep it in his pants and tell his wife her stay at home days are done if he struggles on that kind of pay.

Wonder what Avengador, Wichita and others would think about this especially if the guy was a Democrat?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

That might have been good advice BEFORE he had the kids.
Timing is everything.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
The tape caused a stir for Duffy, a first-term conservative best known for his past as a reality TV show star on MTV's The Real World. Democrats flagged the comments about his taxpayer-funded salary (which is nearly three times the median income in Wisconsin) and criticisms began to flow Duffy's way.

This conservative says Duffy needs to shut up. Linda and I reared five children, all of whom are contributors to society today, and we never made anywhere near S174,000. We never made half that, and still don't. This country has far too many people who think they should have things just because things are available. We constantly violate the you can't get something for nothing rule while expecting the day we have to pay up never to come. It won't work, and we need to face up to that.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
This fool needs Dave Ramsey. Still paying student loans?, Did he get a PHD in something? Pay that crap off then buy your house.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

This country has far too many people who think they should have things just because things are available. We constantly violate the you can't get something for nothing rule while expecting the day we have to pay up never to come. It won't work, and we need to face up to that.

Where was he saying he wanted something for nothing?
Is his taxpayer funded salary a "gift" or some entitlement program, or is it the salary for the job he was elected to do?

I didn't see anywhere he was saying something should be given to him, only that with a family of his size that while his salary may sound like a lot, it doesn't go as far as many may think. Is he doing well? Certainly. Is he "rich"? He doesn't even qualify as "rich" under Obama's definition, and he gets his money from his job.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-03-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
"Struggling"? I wonder what kind of house he has... rooms for each kid maybe?

I can believe that it can be a struggle if you're an idiot with money. Looks like he fits the bill from his comments, but I don't know enough about him to make an accurate statement.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Where was he saying he wanted something for nothing?

Don't know; I didn't listen to him. His whining isn't the point anyway. Planning and thoughtful actions are, which leaves a fair percentage of us out.

PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

I can guarantee you, or most of you, I guarantee that I have more debt than all of you. With 6 kids, I still pay off my student loans. I still pay my mortgage. I drive a used minivan. If you think I'm living high on the hog, I've got one paycheck. So I struggle to meet my bills right now. Would it be easier for me if I get more paychecks? Maybe, but at this point I'm not living high on the hog.

I assume that means when he said this he was only one paycheck into his term?

Excuse me, but I didn't know being an ellected official means you get to live "high on the hog".
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Excuse me, but I didn't know being an ellected official means you get to live "high on the hog".

To be fair, he said that in response to the other people questioning why he was making so much money. He wasn't complaining about his life, just trying to show them that he wasn't in a better situation as they were... Though I do believe he placed himself in that position.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

Wonder what Avengador, Wichita and others would think about this especially if the guy was a Democrat?

I would say that I could live very comfortably on that kind of money and even have plenty to store away for a rainy day. When I lived in Conecticut I was geting by on $100 K a year and still had money to put away. I have been getting by on $50K a year for the last couple of years with no income. If I can get my wife back to work we would have a positive income source again.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Excuse me, but I don't recall him saying he expected to live "high on the hog."
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
If I made 174,000 dollars in one year, I'd be able to put about 140,000 in the bank....
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
i wish i had half of this

I wish I had 174k to struggle on...

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:
Wonder what others would think about this especially if the guy was a Democrat?

I can answer for me. I would think the same thing I do now. Every one makes there own bed. We do not need to hear about them sleeping in it.
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Ist funny what you get used to living on. before the Marines i was making 95K a year selling cars whole sale to the dealerships and was thinking how tight money was. Then i went into the marines and was making around 24K and spent most of my career paying off debt and still had money to live off of. People thought i was nuts but I loved the Marines and would not trade the experience for anything. Now im out of the Marines, married and do quite well salary wise and am still always broke. The point is the more you make the more you spend without realizing it. Getting comfortable is expensive.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Some people will always live at or above their means, doesn't matter if they make $1M per year, they will spend it as it comes in. Easy way to remain financially stable is live below your means.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Well, on the positive side.... his spending is keeping a lot of people employed....

Otherwise, the guy is an idiot and out of touch with reality.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

If I made 174,000 dollars in one year..

This figure is roughly 7 times more than I have EVER made in a year. I would be living ghetto-fabulous.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
lol you could have 350 Fieros!
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I think the bigger issue here is this guy is a Republican senator for Wisconsin-the state and party that cut government workers' pay and benefits in order to balance the budget. Oh..., I meant other government workers pay and benefits. I'm waiting for the Wisconsin folks to weigh in on this guy who must be soaking the state for about $250,00 per year (based on the average teacher's salary of $59,000 costing taxpayers $101,000- these are not my numbers).
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Id vote his ass out, but I wouldn't vote for a democrat to replace him.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

I think the bigger issue here is this guy is a Republican senator for Wisconsin-the state and party that cut government workers' pay and benefits in order to balance the budget. Oh..., I meant other government workers pay and benefits. I'm waiting for the Wisconsin folks to weigh in on this guy who must be soaking the state for about $250,00 per year (based on the average teacher's salary of $59,000 costing taxpayers $101,000- these are not my numbers).

I think the people you're talking about are ignoring the obvious and choose to overlook the crassness of the guy's statements. If the guy was a Democrat, I believe the conservative majority here would figuratively hoist him on a piton and roast him in a fire of made of their tax receipts. Don't hold your breath waiting for the Wisconsin folks to weigh in on this guy. Besides, he isn't a union school teacher.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
didn't read the linky. so, just gonna spout off junk:
how long has he been making $174k? if this is his first year - you do realize you dont get it all at once. and - it is taxed.
but - yes - I do agree that someone crying that $174k is a meager income is completely detached from reality.
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Not really the statement a seasoned politician would make. If he's struggling to make ends meet at that salary (plus benefits) then he really is out of touch with his constituants. It's probably why most politicians ore out of touch.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

I think the people you're talking about are ignoring the obvious and choose to overlook the crassness of the guy's statements. If the guy was a Democrat, I believe the conservative majority here would figuratively hoist him on a piton and roast him in a fire of made of their tax receipts. Don't hold your breath waiting for the Wisconsin folks to weigh in on this guy. Besides, he isn't a union school teacher.

So your issue is he is crass? OK. He did a very poor job communicating his point that he isn't getting RICH on $174,000 per year.

But as far as ignoring the obvious, well, honestly, that seems to be YOU.

Did you HEAR the part where he said he had only been in office 6 weeks?

Who do you think held the majority for the past 8 years THAT PUT THE SALARY AT 174,000????

Uh, that would be the DEMOCRATS.

So then they go after HIM about HIS salary that he had NO CHOICE in assigning? (and then his response was stupid and thoughtless, and oooh, wait for it because here is where it REALLY GETS BAD----CRASS!!!!!)

Ignoring the obvious, did you see he ALSO said he would accept a reduction in his salary as long as it was part of an entire government employee reduction in pay?
So ultimately your beef with him isn't about the principles or issues, since he didn't set his salary in the first place, and he said he would accept a pay cut.

Your upset was over the stupidity of his response that actually had nothing to do with the issues.

Hey, I watched the "1 minute excerpt" of the 45 MINUTE video. Did you ever wonder why that website you linked, ONLY linked that minute?

So if you want to be all righteously indignant about HIS GETTING THREE TIMES THE SALARY of the average Wisconsinite, BE righteously indignant. AT THE DEMOCRATS who set the salary at that. Don't go after the guy who has only been in office 6 weeks, and expressed something irrelevant to the REAL issue in a stupid and crass way.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Lobe you capitalize too much..
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
It was for emPHASis.

PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Lobe, so, are the politicians going to lead by example and take a pay cut too?

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 04-05-2011).]

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard yet.

They have been delayed from accomplishing things by the democrat state senators leaving the state so they wouldn't be reachable by subpoena to do the job they were elected to do.

Then they had the delays by protestors illegally entering the capitol building and disrupting the legislative process. (I am not talking about the LEGAL protesting that was going on).

Then they were delayed by an ultra-liberal judge using a technicality to try to stop the bill that was passed.
On a PRACTICAL level, a reduction in pay for the legislators isn't going to make a significant dent in the budget due to the relatively small number of legislators. But I am sure the republican senators would be happy to do this largely symbolic act to be leaders by example.

I will repeat that the DEMOCRATS were the ones that set the pay level at the amount that it currently is, and that the guy on the video got ambushed by the person asking the question, and then did a horrible job answering. He SHOULD have said, "Hey, I've only been in office 6 weeks, the democrats are the ones the put the salary where it is, and I haven't had time to cut our pay yet because of all the delay tactics the democrats have been doing." Instead, he took the bait in trying to defend why he was being SO overpayed, and tried to answer that by saying he wasn't getting rich, and made easy to criticize comments that had nothing to do with the real issue.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
In the clip, Duffy is asked whether he'd support cutting his own salary. Duffy says he would, but only as part of a plan where all public employees' salaries would be cut. He then said that the $174,000 in salary (not including benefits) he receives is a squeeze for his family of seven to live on:

This guy needs to learn to live within his salary and keep his dick in his pants.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
I will repeat that the DEMOCRATS were the ones that set the pay level at the amount that it currently is, and that the guy on the video got ambushed by the person asking the question, and then did a horrible job answering. He SHOULD have said, "Hey, I've only been in office 6 weeks, the democrats are the ones the put the salary where it is, and I haven't had time to cut our pay yet because of all the delay tactics the democrats have been doing." Instead, he took the bait in trying to defend why he was being SO overpayed, and tried to answer that by saying he wasn't getting rich, and made easy to criticize comments that had nothing to do with the real issue.

Yep, that would have been a much better answer.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
This guy needs to learn to live within his salary and keep his dick in his pants.

At first I thought that came out of left field; then I remembered ha had a bunch of kids. I was going to add to this, and then thought batter of it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock