Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Man in the Door - The men who flew helicopters during the Vietnam war

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Man in the Door - The men who flew helicopters during the Vietnam war by Larryh86GT
Started on: 03-29-2011 03:48 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: aceman on 03-31-2011 01:45 PM
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Very thought-provoking.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
That was excellent
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
I have known several of these men over the years.

One of them told me how about when their bird was shot down in enemy controlled territory.
All of his crew was killed.
He evaded capture for two days and walked out on a broken ankle.
He healed and went back to being a door gunner.
He survived the war and grew old in America.
God Bless You John, I will never forget you.

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
A sad and courageous poem for the era.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Truth that should never be forgotten.

My thanks to all who served, and serve today.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
That was powerful.
It gave me just a hint at how much of a clue I don't have, having never been in a combat zone, but you can hear the weight of it on his soul.

bristowb

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
Am here and live in this country because of the likes of"men in the doorway" I was born in Siagon as was all my brothers and sisters. Most of us were late 60's early 70's. My father was a civilian contractor for U.S. government. Thats how he met my mom. ( my father was in WWII). I thank a Vietnam Vet every time I meet one. That is the respect I was taught growing up. That is the respect I teach my kids when we see a soldier in uniform. So I thank you veterans.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting!!
I stood in the starboard door of a CH-53 nearly every day for 13 months behind a m60 or 50 cal. It was an "interesting" way to spend the 20th year of my life.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Thanks for posting!!
I stood in the starboard door of a CH-53 nearly every day for 13 months behind a m60 or 50 cal. It was an "interesting" way to spend the 20th year of my life.

Thank You.

steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
That was interesting. My dad was a crew chief on a Huey around that time. He has only talked about it when he's had a few drinks and he doesn't drink much anymore. He's only talked about Okinawa and one time he mentioned firing that gun but didn't answer when I asked what he was firing at. I'd like to think of him as that guy in the doorway in the poem.
PFF
System Bot
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
My father-in-law was the man in the door during his time in Vietnam. He manned that position physically unscathed while over there. It was the mental wounds he couldn't escape and it was 35 years later that Vietnam killed him by way of Agent Orange.

Thanks for posting. It gave my wife a bit more perspective and insight into her father that refused to talk about his time in Vietnam.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock