Started on: 03-28-2011 12:41 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Chris Hodson on 05-11-2011 08:58 AM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I think people call this rifle a Dragonov. I recived the gun without the reciever, I got a new reciever but have to put it together myself. Ive got everything together BUT the the safety spring. I have no idea how to put it in. Does anyone have an inside view of the reciever from the top down so i can see how the spring sits in there? I took apart an AK47 and its a little different so we cant use that for reference. Any help would be apreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
The Dragunov was a Soviet sniper rifle, very nice

www.dragunov.net/docs/SVD_D...nov_Sniper_Rifle.pdf
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Here is a pic i found on google images. It's of the trigger group hope it helps.

Oh yeah we like pics too! Don't hold out on us!

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
If you have a PSL, you don't actually have a Dragunov. You have a PSL. Not a bad rifle, but definitely not a Dragunov. More like a 'large' AK.

I've been looking for one of these (two actually), as the 7.62x54R ammo is cheap.

Be aware that if you are assembling from parts, you probably also have a Romanian receiver. If so, you may want to ensure that you meet 922r regulations.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

You don't want to run afoul of those, as it's Federal Pen time, along with a lifetime prohibition. It is what has stopped me from assembling one.

That being said, if you source a U.S. made receiver, who did you get it from?
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
A buddy of mine has one of those PSLs. Its lots of fun (hell of a kick, though. Dang scope kept hitting me in the eye!):

Lots of info here:

http://www.dragunov.net/
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
The dragunov links won't help you out because the PSL is different as dsnover said.

My camera just died, it's charging now. I will snap a pic of mine and post for you here in a little bit if you haven't figured it out yet.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

The dragunov links won't help you out because the PSL is different as dsnover said.

Not entirely true. dragunov.net has a whole section on PSLs:

http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 03-28-2011).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

"If you have a PSL, you don't actually have a Dragunov. You have a PSL", I know It is basically an over sized Ak, I agree. Thank you for the pictures along with the information. I knew someone here would know someeething about it. Ill post pictures soon.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html has one picture at the end that confirms the weapon actually has the spring im trying to fit somewhere, thats about all its helping me with lol.
brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

If you have a PSL, you don't actually have a Dragunov. You have a PSL. Not a bad rifle, but definitely not a Dragunov. More like a 'large' AK.

I've been looking for one of these (two actually), as the 7.62x54R ammo is cheap.

Be aware that if you are assembling from parts, you probably also have a Romanian receiver. If so, you may want to ensure that you meet 922r regulations.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

You don't want to run afoul of those, as it's Federal Pen time, along with a lifetime prohibition. It is what has stopped me from assembling one.

That being said, if you source a U.S. made receiver, who did you get it from?

Sorry OKflyboy, didn't venture into the links.

US made receivers can be bought here:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRAREC.aspx

Also the general consensus is that PSL's in the standard configuration are not affected by 922r. If you were to start changing things then yes they would be. Also I'm not saying to break the law but I don't think anyone has ever been convicted for a 922r violation. I'm sure there are thousands upon thousands of guns out there that are not in compliance as most casual guns owners have never even heard of 922r. At most it would be a charge that was tossed on to throw the book at you if you were nabbed for something more serious.

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Brandon i would appreciate it!
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html has one picture at the end that confirms the weapon actually has the spring im trying to fit somewhere, thats about all its helping me with lol.

http://www.dragunov.net/docs/Romak-3.pdf

Whoops, just scrolled through that manual, its not an assembly manual, just an instruction manual... (lol, who would need an instruction manual for a Romanian sniper rifle?)

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 03-28-2011).]

brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this is what you need. Not sure what you mean by the safety spring exactly. Tell me what you need and I'll get better pics.

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Dont worry guys im within our laws

I cant open that first pdf for some reason. My brothers AK has a safety spring that looks very similar to the part im trying to install. The receiver is American made - cuz it has to be :/ The safety on the PSL is very stiff and really doesn't feel like it needs a spring to add any tension BUT the spring is slightly different from the AK's so im wondering if it serves another purpose along with providing tension for the safety lever ?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:
Sorry OKflyboy,

No need. I was just trying to help, as were you.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
This is what i need a picture of. I cannot figure out where it goes!
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006

I am wondering if it goes here.
brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing that is the shepards crook but I have never seen one with a coil on it like that. It would go where you are showing. Around the hammer pin and under the trigger pin. You can see mine in the pics. It's purpose is to sit in the grooves in the pins to keep them from walking out. Doesn't affect the safety.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. I'm trying to get the pins out of the receiver now. I was worried they would fall out but holy crap they are in there good.
brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
I pulled out my other AK's to take a look at them and none have the coil. Found there is more than one way to put the crook in.

Go to this page about halfway down there is a diagram. I actually found one of my AK's with the crook installed incorrectly and the trigger pin walking out! Glad I decided to look at them.

Edit: Link -
http://www.ak47.net/forums/...f=64&t=127265&page=1

[This message has been edited by brandon87gt (edited 03-28-2011).]

dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
Ordered a PSL today. Hopefully in by weekend. Seems like you have that spring figured out, but if not, or you are unsure, let me know...

PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
We left the spring out. We had issues with the bolt sticking when it went back every 3 rounds but upon closer inspection - there were burrs that needed to be filed. The dust cover kept flying off so we had to modify that a bit to stay on. Other than that, my dad took it to the range the other day and was hitting clays at 100yards with open sites no problem. His eye sight isnt the best, he was super impressed and just loves the gun. Im thinking of buying a few to assemble and resell them once they stop importing them. $$$$ You can buy everything you need to make one for about 500, you can get one put together for around 800. These will be worth thousands pretty soon "I hear".

The gun looks cool imo. My dad is going to refinish all the wood. He said he is going to find a way to stain it a dark red, but so you can see the wood grain still. Maybe an even coat of food coloring mixed with alcohol then a clear of some sort. It will be neat. Ill post before and after pictures.
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

We left the spring out. We had issues with the bolt sticking when it went back every 3 rounds but upon closer inspection - there were burrs that needed to be filed. The dust cover kept flying off so we had to modify that a bit to stay on. Other than that, my dad took it to the range the other day and was hitting clays at 100yards with open sites no problem. His eye sight isnt the best, he was super impressed and just loves the gun. Im thinking of buying a few to assemble and resell them once they stop importing them. $$$$ You can buy everything you need to make one for about 500, you can get one put together for around 800. These will be worth thousands pretty soon "I hear".

The gun looks cool imo. My dad is going to refinish all the wood. He said he is going to find a way to stain it a dark red, but so you can see the wood grain still. Maybe an even coat of food coloring mixed with alcohol then a clear of some sort. It will be neat. Ill post before and after pictures.

What are you feeding it?
Heavy ammo will destroy a PSL, it needs a diet of 147 grn ammo,

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Here are the completed pictures.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

We feed it cheapo 7.62x54R. He dyed the wood a red. I think it looks great. The scope is bad ass. No little dogs were hurt taking the pictures
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

We feed it cheapo 7.62x54R. He dyed the wood a red. I think it looks great. The scope is bad ass. No little dogs were hurt taking the pictures

I feed mine surplus ammo, the cheap stuff, but what I was wondering was what bullet weight. The heavy stuff will wreck a PSL, I run the 148 - 149grn lightball ammo. The 174+grn stuff is great in the mosin but generates more pressure than the PSL is built for, the Dragunov has an adjustable gas system and handles the heavyball ammo.
Nice lookin' rifle.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
He uses the light ball ammo.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock