Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  With the hard job market, what is the sucide rates?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

With the hard job market, what is the sucide rates? by FriendGregory
Started on: 03-20-2011 02:35 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: wikid_one on 03-21-2011 01:58 PM
FriendGregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
I can not help but to have bouts of minor depression due to my desire to work and my failed efforts to get it. My family and I are actually doing fine financially. My wife is still employed, by my manipulation of my stocks I actually made more the last 2 years than I have in any of my best 3 years, and now we have several rental properties with an income after expenses about what I used to make. I still want to be a "bread winner" and go to work every day like my Dad did.

I think about all the people that lost their only house, spending their last dine trying to save it, entering their so called golden years and I think dang, am I that strong? How is it that these people are able to go on? Between my family and my wife's, we have a huge safety net of people that we could call on if we needed a place to stay, so many people do not. Could I really be so strong if my only choice was a tent near the side of the freeway( I seen a tent city in San Jose the other day)? I ask myself, how different am I? I have always been frugal, try to figure things out for myself, and careful not to burn bridges. Is that it? Is that the difference?

We took my wife's unemployed friend in and he turned out to be a drunk. That was not a problem in my book but, when he got what I considered the dream job and then flaked on showing up, out he went. Are there so many people out there like that?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Not sure, but Alcohol sales go up by over 300% during hard economic times and few jobs available.

I'm working... working on emptying this here bottle. *glugglugglug*

In all seriousness, having a strong supprt group makes a huge difference in your confidence, and thus your success. I have never met anyone with no confidence who was good at their job or even thought they could do a job well. Some of us are blessed with great loving supportive people... some are not. Yes, if all we had was under a tent near an overpass, it would be a much harder proposition, finding and keeping gainful employment, as well as being happy. Sorry about your friend, "dream jobs" seldom work out for anyone who is not a dream employee. Hope he finds something.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 03-20-2011).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Very sad indeed....People are hard for work.

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 03-20-2011).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Some people only want handouts and to complain, others will find a way to get what they want while being an asset to society and not a burden. If you can play the stock market and make money, good for you too. Your investments help companies survive and thrive, their good fortune is also yours. Not everyone needs a 9 to 5 job to be an asset, but it makes one feel more productive and valuable when they have one.
There are definitely some who will have given up finding a job but I haven't heard about any rising suicide rates among them. There are many programs out there to help the homeless and unemployed, so that might be a factor in keeping these numbers down.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I had no safety net of stocks or income, no friends or family to fall back on, and no job or real "in demand" skills to get one.
I'm now starting over in a lowley posistion at $12 dollars an hour.

I don't wanna' kill myself, but I damn sure wish someone would.

------------------
And they said one to another, "Behold, for here comes the dreamer. Come now, let us slay him and we shall see what then will become of his dreams." ~ Genesis 37: 19-20

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 03-20-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

I have always been frugal, try to figure things out for myself, and careful not to burn bridges. Is that it? Is that the difference?

Pretty much, that's what it is. There's always an exception to every rule, I'm sure there are people who have lost their homes due to other reasons, but more commonly, people find themselves losing their home becuase they were irresponsible. Judge not... I know, but I've been irresponsible myself... I've just been one of the lucky ones. "Back in the day" it was much harder to buy a home unless you actually had some cold hard cash to plunk down for it. Just recently, anyone and their dog could get a home, a low interest rate, and in some cases, without even needing a down payment. Obviously, people were quick to get these loans, some of them with balloon payments without even understanding what it was, and then find themselves with leased / financed cars and a huge expensive house they can't afford when one or both of the family members lost their job. Had I lost my job 3 years ago... I would have been screwed!!! Because I myself was basically leaving above my means. I had some debt, but also didn't save AT ALL... every penny I got, went into crap. I've got a lot of friends that have been in the same situation... and all that the spending got them was a house full of crap, like automatic light-up soap dispensers for the bathroom, or little chatchki-crap. I've found that being responsible (like what came naturally to you I suppose) that I actually have more wealth... I can afford to do more, I have less stress, and less things that I have to worry about.

I hate to say it, but America needs this every once in a while... everyone does. There are casualties... but for the rest of us, it makes us stronger, it puts things into perspective and we realize that we always have to be prepared for the rainy day...

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I had no safety net of stocks or income, no friends or family to fall back on, and no job or real "in demand" skills to get one.

Oh Boonie... as cheesy as it sounds, you have all of us! There's some good people here, like TwoFatties who took in 87. There's tons of stories here on Pennocks like that. I think you knew that, perhaps you just wanted the attention. So here I go... *Group Hug*... pobrecito Boonielito...

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-20-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Oh Boonie... as cheesy as it sounds, you have all of us! There's some good people here, like TwoFatties who took in 87. There's tons of stories here on Pennocks like that.

When I say no one, I mean no one I would ever ask.

I think you knew that, perhaps you just wanted the attention.

Naw, i'm all the attention I will ever need.
Doing it all on my own since I was 14 pretty much is a blueprint of how I operate.
Mostly driven by stupidity, not attention.

------------------
And they said one to another, "Behold, for here comes the dreamer. Come now, let us slay him and we shall see what then will become of his dreams." ~ Genesis 37: 19-20

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I can't hire people for a $40k+ with great benefits for a job.

The "very few" that have send in their resume, one was a no-show to an interview appointment, the others never called back to set up an interview. A few others couldn't even pass a simple assessment test.

I need two people like yesterday and can't find anybody willing to work I guess.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

You probably wouldn't NEED to ask on here... it would just be offered.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Check the demographics of suicide. As far as I recall, poor people almost never kill themselves. Middle-class rarely. Upper class people have more to lose (Or so they think) and can't deal with not having it.

I don't think the suicide rate has gone up much when you factor out all the other stuff. (Soldiers at war, for instance.)
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Naw, i'm all the attention I will ever need.
Doing it all on my own since I was 14 pretty much is a blueprint of how I operate.
Mostly driven by stupidity, not attention.

I dunno... Doing it all on your own doesn't sound to stupid to me .
PFF
System Bot
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like you have a sweet deal going. If you want something to do to earn money, get yourself a hot dog stand. Cash business, work when you want, and a lot of profit margin. And there are so many beautiful locations near where you live. You meet a lot of people and it can be a lot of fun.

Don't kill yourself today.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

The "very few" that have send in their resume, one was a no-show to an interview appointment, the others never called back to set up an interview. A few others couldn't even pass a simple assessment test.

I need two people like yesterday and can't find anybody willing to work I guess.

Too bad I live no where near Kansas, I needed a better job like Yesterday, too.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

If only I had the right skill set...
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

For 40k+ a year you can hit me with a brick for 8 hours a day to your heart's content. Just saying.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

I have always been frugal, try to figure things out for myself....

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I dunno... Doing it all on your own doesn't sound to stupid to me .

Yeah, but doing what?......
All that energy put into doing nothing for the future.

I would trade all the gumpshun in the world for a good old-fashion solid plan.

------------------

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Here's hope:

Joh 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Joh 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Joh 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Once that's taken care of, the rest of life is ok (Even if you do get depressed). But beware, if you reject the Lord, then there is no hope, for now, or forever.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

Here's hope..........

Maybe, but hope don't pay the rent.

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Ok. What is the murder rate ?
Weak people commit suicide. Sick people murder. There is no set trigger.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

You never asked. I am fairly sure a bunch of us would have said ok, just for a while without ever deciding what that meant.

Right now I am cleaning a spare room for a niece and nephew to stay for a extended period. It was open for about a year. We hope it does not become extended but, we want them to feel welcome in case things do not go as planned.
PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:
Not everyone needs a 9 to 5 job to be an asset, but it makes one feel more productive and valuable when they have one.

This maybe what I need to get into my head. The last company that I contracted at said they wanted to keep me and would call me back when things picked up. Well, I am in contact with the workers and they have not brought in any additional help yet.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Why did you stop at Washington state? Oregon has assisted suicide. But really, if no ties to hold down, I would have picked from the lowest unemployment state to look for work.
1 NORTH DAKOTA 3.8
2 NEBRASKA 4.2
3 SOUTH DAKOTA 4.7
4 NEW HAMPSHIRE 5.6
5 VERMONT 5.7

I remember when CA rates were this low, a pulse was all you needed to get a job.
http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

I've got a lot of friends that have been in the same situation... and all that the spending got them was a house full of crap, like automatic light-up soap dispensers for the bathroom, or little chatchki-crap. I've found that being responsible (like what came naturally to you I suppose) that I actually have more wealth... I can afford to do more, I have less stress, and less things that I have to worry about.

I hate to say it, but America needs this every once in a while... everyone does. There are casualties... but for the rest of us, it makes us stronger, it puts things into perspective and we realize that we always have to be prepared for the rainy day...

I believe in re-accessing, moving forward, re-accessing and putting the fight and energy in the new better direction. I have had times when I was less than responsible but, having re-engineered who I am before has made it easier to do the next time.

My asz would be kicked at a Philippine karaoke bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU it will be my theme song. The names I have been called, good and bad, are all justified at some point in my life.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Why did you stop at Washington state? But really, if no ties to hold down, I would have picked from the lowest unemployment state to look for work.

There were a number of factors to consider in my desision-making.
After all things were weighed, this is where I ended up.

We do what we think is best.
Even when they don't always turn out that way...

------------------

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

I am sure you read how I have family and financial ties to the California South Bay. I wish (sometimes) it was just me. Sell it all and take a chance! Hey, a few have done just that, 87antuzzi and Boondawg. I sure can not figure it out why not take the chance in Kansas. The property prices are good in most the state with bargains for a short drive. I did very well for many years making less than $40K.
Do you have a sample assessment test? Hey, your not a Army recruiter are you?
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

LOL
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

There were a number of factors to consider in my decision-making.

We do what we think is best.
Even when they don't always turn out that way...

Yea, "what we think is best", is the best we can do. Funny how it works out like that. At some point, luck and chance are the final players in the game of life. I have really enjoyed your saga. Keep us updated.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by cliffw:
Ok. What is the murder rate ?
Weak people commit suicide. Sick people murder. There is no set trigger.

Someone had to ask, I understand domestic violence up. Is there a trigger for happiness? It is like the communist attempt at fair and equal for all. You have as little as the guy in the next apartment, why are you not happy?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

There were a number of factors to consider in my desision-making.

Boonie, all things considered you ended up in a pretty nice location. You're directly south of the most beautiful place on the planet (British Columbia), so some of that has to rub off on Washington State.

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Boonie, all things considered you ended up in a pretty nice location. You're directly south of the most beautiful place on the planet (British Columbia), so some of that has to rub off on Washington State.

Being compared to anywhere in Canada is typically reason enough to commit suicide, don't push the guy.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

BC and Western Washington are the prettiest places on earth that I have seen so far. Kingsway Inn bar anyone? At least that is what I remember it being called.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

BC and Western Washington are the prettiest places on earth that I have seen so far.

Kingsway Inn bar anyone? At least that is what I remember it being called.

Are you referring to a location on Kingsway in Vancouver? If so, I'm five minutes from there.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-21-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

See? That's the thing I don't get. Not necessarily your case per say in that you needed people for a particular job but they wouldn't work it, yet it seems that in really hard financial times people have seemingly lost the ability to "hunker down".

I don't make a good amount at my day job - it's about 35k (my wife makes right around the same). However, I do work a second job just to supplement our income (brings in around a bit over 10k). I'm sorry, but if that second job were not to work out I know of hundreds of places I could go work on the side. I could go nuke burgers at McDonalds, stock shelves at Kroger, there's PLENTY to do. Additionally, if my main job fell on hard times, which hopefully it doesn't, I'm not going to stress. The problem is people don't want to do the crappy work, but sometimes you have to.

I have an aunt right now who used to make around I guess $17-$18 hr at some dentistry place. She got laid off well over a year ago. Now all she does is constantly put in applications at similar places, looking to make the same amount of money. I'm sorry, but if you obviously got laid off because of diminishing work, then look elsewhere. Obviously you're not going to get anywhere applying at the same sector of work that just laid off due to job cuts. I've driven by all sorts of fast food places. Plenty hiring. Plenty of restaurants hiring for table busters and such. I'd work it in a heartbeat. Unemployment is only going to last so long and only go so far.

The problem I think is that people once they make more think their life style has to increase. It doesn't. That's a bad mistake I think too many have and are making. Other than buying a house (and that is a relatively cheap one for around here. Around 1k a month), I have never let money dictate my life style. I still buy the same cheap clothes, drive two cars with no car payment, buy everything cheap I can. Save the rest. It's not hard. Seriously. It's not.

I really don't mean to rant about it, but I've worked my ass off and saved and saved and saved. Sure there's plenty that I want, but I have enough saved that me and my wife could lose our job for a whole year and still pay every single expenditure - bills, nourishment, petty pleasures - that we usually pay (and still have plenty of money). I've placed myself to where I don't have to stress over the problems of the harsh job sectors. And believe me, if I lost either of my jobs, I would be the FIRST in line at that fast food joint or restaurant applying to bust my butt off again. I've done it twice in my relatively young life and would do it again.

Is that so hard for people to do?
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:
I'm sorry, but if you obviously got laid off because of diminishing work, then look elsewhere. Obviously you're not going to get anywhere applying at the same sector of work that just laid off due to job cuts. I've driven by all sorts of fast food places. Plenty hiring. Plenty of restaurants hiring for table busters and such. I'd work it in a heartbeat. Unemployment is only going to last so long and only go so far.

The problem I think is that people once they make more think their life style has to increase. It doesn't. That's a bad mistake I think too many have and are making. Other than buying a house (and that is a relatively cheap one for around here. Around 1k a month), I have never let money dictate my life style. I still buy the same cheap clothes, drive two cars with no car payment, buy everything cheap I can. Save the rest. It's not hard. Seriously. It's not.

I really don't mean to rant about it, but I've worked my ass off and saved and saved and saved. Sure there's plenty that I want, but I have enough saved that me and my wife could lose our job for a whole year and still pay every single expenditure - bills, nourishment, petty pleasures - that we usually pay (and still have plenty of money). I've placed myself to where I don't have to stress over the problems of the harsh job sectors. And believe me, if I lost either of my jobs, I would be the FIRST in line at that fast food joint or restaurant applying to bust my butt off again. I've done it twice in my relatively young life and would do it again.

Is that so hard for people to do?

You are very correct and stayed on subject. My wife has mistaken me as someone that has pride, as she defines it. I took Security Guard work $10 and hour to demonstrate that I am willing to work at lower wages. Tired of the squished faces when they hear about what I used to make. I take pride in the quality of all I do. I am looking for anything that qualifies as technician, it is what I enjoy. I would be more than happy to take something that keeps me near technology, assembly, shipping or testing.

Your right about fast food. It would keep some one from having to live in a tent. They even supply working clothes.

I met a few of the people ask about. It is impossible for then to adjust to the idea of making less than $70K, or $100K, they will be borrowing money from friends before they will drop their demands. My buddy is a video conferencing expert, used to make $120K, I carried some of his bills briefly while he agreed to be more flexible.
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

I would kill for a $12/hr job... wait, maybe I shouldn't word it that way...

But seriously, right now I am working two jobs (one is seasonal) that both pay less than that. It is a pain in the backside working 65-70 hours every week, but I consider myself lucky that I even have one job let alone two.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock