Started on: 03-17-2011 01:51 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-19-2011 10:18 AM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Speedmaker on Speed Channel and 9pm EDT. Rerun early in the AM. Supposed to be on all the kinds of car kits out there.

The episode on Top Fuel Dragsters was pretty interesting. I didnt realized the clutch in them actually takes the place of a transmission. They compared them to a go kart centrifical clutch....faster they went stronger it gripped. Off the line, barely has any grip. It also showed how they totally rebuilt the engine completely after EVERY run from oil pan to blower...which several here said never happens.

The shows on Jaguar and Aston-Martin were very good too. One of the best auto series on now to me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Good call out roger, taped it, watching it now !
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Love that ETM (?) and the $20K Hoverwing is on my new want list.

http://www.hovercraft.com/c...e=index&cPath=1_93_2
http://www.hovercraft.com/c...page=index&cPath=265

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-18-2011).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads-up, Roger. It is a good show. That's hard to find these days.

I was watching the Top Fuel Dragsters episode, and they mentioned something strange. It was said that they SHORTENED the quarter-mile to 1000 feet to reduce speeds for safety. When the heck did this happen? Did this happen?
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
The NHRA shortened the track from 1320 feet to 1000 feet after Scott Kalitta had his fatal accident.It was only for fuel cars,all others still run 1320 feet.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
1. - Is Factory Five the only kit manufacturer out there? The show seemed like a Factory Five infomercial.

2. - What makes their car a "kit" instead of a new car, since they build the chassis and everything but the engine. Where do they get the VIN?

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

1. - Is Factory Five the only kit manufacturer out there? The show seemed like a Factory Five infomercial.

2. - What makes their car a "kit" instead of a new car, since they build the chassis and everything but the engine. Where do they get the VIN?

1 - I believe that Factory Five puts a good deal of money into that show, hence why they seem to show up in every commercial and there is a focus on Factory Five kits

2 - It receives a "special construction" VIN, typically one that is assigned by the state. The method varies from state to state, but scratch-built vehicles that don't go through the rigor of DOT testing receive these VINs.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They only 'put it together' to be sure everything fits correctly. Builder still has to take it all back apart except for the welding of course. You can buy a turn key one for a lot more money. You are right though, Id liked to have seen some other kits featured too. They did touch on the old dune buggy, Bradley GT. The commercial for the show didnt show the jet and hovercraft being on it. Pretty sure you wouldnt have seen any of the 'Ferrari' kits though

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock