Started on: 03-15-2011 11:03 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: TommyRocker on 03-18-2011 03:24 PM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I've been at it again. This is the latest completion.

It is a real dive bomber fat strat. Stainless roller saddles, brass nut, locking tuners, roller trees, fat frets.

This one has unbelievable action. Absolutely wicked. It dive bombs and comes back to true tune time after time.

I think I'll play it for a while before I sell it. Please forgive the finger prints. I've been having fun.

Arn

I forgot, it also has a stainless steel custom made tone block for lots of sustain and an extra bite on the clairity side.

The neck is maple and the body ash. The finish is urethane.

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 03-15-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, Arn
By completion do you mean you made this, or assembled it from Fender parts?
Details please.
Mike
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
Very nice, Arn.

I am not qualified to offer that opinion but I agree.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The body is a factory body. The neck was blank roughed in stock that I finished forming and finishing.

The pickguard is hand cut from laminate and the electronics are hand wired. Pickups test out @ 13.4 ohms

There is a rhythm volume and lead volume with a tone control.

The rhythm pickup volume knob has a push pull to let go from the clean parallel sound to the darker series sound.

That said, the guitar is very bright. Much brighter than a Gibson with a mahogany body.

A friend of mine is a tool and die maker and he made the tone block for me custom, out of 440 ss.

You'll notice it has a strap lock (lesson learned BTW)

The body is gloss and the neck semi-gloss. This is so the neck, which gets most of the handling, won't show the finger marks as much.

The tuners are the type you tighten with a coin after the string is inserted.

The nut is hand cut out of brass stock.

I find it really pleasing to have such close action. To give you an idea, the 6th string is only 1/16th inch clearance, with no discernible rattle or buzz anywhere. It is pretty much a dive bomber's dream.

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 03-15-2011).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
SUUUUUUUUUHWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!

Looks gorgeous, Arn
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Not trying to compete Arn (I know when I am beaten )..but this is a respray I did to an old Fender Squier I picked up in a VERY battered and beaten state.(S992477 serial means made in 1989 by Samick in Korea, I believe), original colour, of course, and it is a Squier fat Strat..love it. Put an Eric Clapton push/pull volume control which gives it a real boost, and a creamy overdrive. I LOVE this guitar...but, like all my gear, it will be sold as soon as I can find a buyer

Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 03-15-2011).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Interesting Squire. No, it is not a Fat Strat, those have humbuckers, however the pushpull is not standard.

Sometimes somebody (like me) installs a pushpull to put the neck and bridge pickups in series.

You can test this by turning it on and tapping the pickups with the selector switch in the forward position. If the bridge pickup is live you know what you have. Essentially that overdrive is created by putting your stock 7 or 9 ohm pickups in series to give it either 14 ohms or 18 ohms depending.

I did this on my son's Squire bullet which I modified. The pickups on this one are Powermax

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
See!! never be afraid to admit you are wrong, and thereby learn from the Master And yes I see I was wrong to call it a Fat Strat I always called the Strats with a heavier body (this guitar weighs in at 7.5 lbs...feels a lot heavier than most 'copy' strats I have ever handled...although AGAIN I could be wrong . What do yours weigh in at Arn?
Nick
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
With the strap it is 10 lbs on the nose. Of course it is a solid ash body.

Arn
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
!! NICE !!

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

. What do yours weigh in at Arn?
Nick

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

With the strap it is 10 lbs on the nose.

Arn

This conversation could be easily mistrued. Haha just kidding.

Great work Arn.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Not bad. I'm looking into getting a B.C rich warlock
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
They are ok on style and are playable, but I am not fussy on the electronics. The wiring on the pickups is pretty fine.

I did up a Strat II for my son, black with a maple neck. I guarantee you that Strat II will outperform any BC Rich. But, it is customized guitar with Hotrails aboard, a special bridge,etc. Shop around. You may find a Warlock that has been modded or hotrodded. Worth looking for if you want the Warlock style.

Arn
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Well I had it out to rehearsal last night. The guys went "ho-hum, Arn's got another one", but the guitar was perfection.l

Stayed in tune, had great tone, played like putting your hands in warm butter.

I think it's a keeper.

Arn
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
Another beautiful axe from Arn.
My son has been playing a Warlock for a little over two years, and he loves it. Huge step-up from the Squier strat he started out with (his opinion). He has the cheapest Warlock made, but in retrospect I would have got a higher-end version, like a neck-through one, if I'd known better. Even string-through would be better than what he has, for string replacement. He really likes the neck contour and the guitar's overall feel, which I think is key to keeping the interest level up. His next goal is to get a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but he needs to make some money first.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I really don't prefer the string through designs. I know they are popular now but I like having that big hunk of metal as an anchor for the bridge. I also use the trem some.

As for the Warlock over the Squire, it depends on (a) the feel, and (b) the pickups. The Squire typically has 6-7 ohm pickups while the Warlock, depending on the model, has humbuckers that are higher output.

My son's green monster Squire has 9 ohm single coils, but he much prefers his Strat II with 14 ohm monsters. It is so subjective depending on the style of music you are playing.

I generally use a hot humbucker with a pushpull switch to go from clean parallel to dirty series sound. I generally don't use that on the Bridge because I really prefer a fat bridge sound.

The interesting thing about the blonde bomb above is the brightness of it. With the larger and heavier tone block, combined with the Ash body, the guitar is allot brighter than a mahogany Gibson.

If your son likes the Warlock, you might consider fatter pickups for it. You can get pickups for any particular style of music and simply add them to a favourite guitar. It is cheaper than trading normally and if you get a sound you don't want, it is a cheaper fix.

Glad you like the blond bomb and thanks for the compliment.

Arn
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Not bad. I'm looking into getting a B.C rich warlock

ugh...

I'll have to get pics of the frankenstrat I built for my brother. I went with a heavy stainless anchor block too, but my brother wanted the classic triple single coils because he already has a few HH guitars.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock