Started on: 03-14-2011 07:13 AM
Replies: 60
Last post by: cliffw on 06-10-2011 01:28 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
The last time I quit, I was un/under employed for 15 months. I started last May for a good wage, and since then have gotten $12,240.00 a year more in raises and promotions. I could easily bank $75,000.00 a year working just six months, as I work on a week on/ week off schedule. But, what good is money if you have no time to enjoy it ? What's the point of having a job if you can't enjoy life and more importantly, your family.
What happened was we got a new tool pusher. A real iron azz. While I don't enjoy his attitude I do respect and appreciate it. However, in his quest to change the world (my rig that he was transferred to), he has placed too many demands on my personal time. We have to be at work as scheduled and now it seems that our scheduled days off belong to him also. Worse is the fact that I can't plan and prepare for work, or take care of my personal business, enjoyment, and have unwinding relaxation, without a guaranteed schedule to do so.
I don't live to work. I work to live. Live the life that I want. If I don't have time to beat the wife and kick the (three) dogs, what good is life, ?
I don't need no fricken union.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
What happened was we got a new tool pusher. A real iron azz. While I don't enjoy his attitude I do respect and appreciate it. However, in his quest to change the world (my rig that he was transferred to), he has placed too many demands on my personal time. We have to be at work as scheduled and now it seems that our scheduled days off belong to him also. Worse is the fact that I can't plan and prepare for work, or take care of my personal business, enjoyment, and have unwinding relaxation, without a guaranteed schedule to do so.
I don't live to work. I work to live. Live the life that I want. If I don't have time to beat the wife and kick the (three) dogs, what good is life, ?

Good luck then, if you had a union you wouldn’t have to worry about what has been happening. It would not happen. OT is never mandatory.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Good luck then, if you had a union you wouldn’t have to worry about what has been happening. It would not happen. OT is never mandatory.

Steve, respectfully, I think you are missing my point.
I am not worried about what is happening. It is not happening anymore. I live in a right to work state meaning I have a right not to work. A company has the right to do as it wishes, just as I do. I'd like to keep it that way.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
Wierd, I quit mine last tuesday. North Dakota is boomin'! Wanna take a road trip?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WBailey1041:
North Dakota is boomin'! Wanna take a road trip?

It's booming around here too. Perhaps you missed my point also. I quit because I want to be home more often. North Dakota is very far from home, and cold too.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Steve, respectfully, I think you are missing my point.
I am not worried about what is happening. It is not happening anymore. I live in a right to work state meaning I have a right not to work. A company has the right to do as it wishes, just as I do. I'd like to keep it that way.

They are doing what Cianbro did to me when I worked the oil rig job. Scheduled to work just Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But come Sunday I had to work , Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

If I didn’t work what they asked I was history.

I love that right to work statement, it has nothing to do with YOUR right to work, it has to do with the company having the right to work you to death.

If it were a union job they couldn’t do what they did, changing schedules and such. But If it was a union job I also had the right to quit anytime I wanted to as well..

Steve

------------------

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:They are doing what Cianbro did to me when I worked the oil rig job. Scheduled to work just Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But come Sunday I had to work , Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Steve, I thought you were retired due to health issues. Glad your able to work.
Cianbro; Civil and heavy industrial construction company operating in the Northeast.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

They are doing what Cianbro did to me when I worked the oil rig job. Scheduled to work just Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But come Sunday I had to work , Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Yeah, that's it. If you worked for me and did not work as I asked and when I scheduled you, you would be history. However, I would not expect to own you or your schedule. In my case, they are history.

I love that right to work statement, it has nothing to do with YOUR right to work, it has to do with the company having the right to work you to death.

In my case, evidently not.
Steve, the way I see it, I don't have a boss, I have a customer. They are offering to buy what I have for sale. My time and expertise. Emphasis on my time. I don't have to sell it, they don't have to buy it. If they can get a better deal, more power to them. Their job is not to provide for me.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

If it were a union job they couldn’t do what they did, changing schedules and such. But If it was a union job I also had the right to quit anytime I wanted to as well..

Steve

Steve, as a right to work state, they are allowing true Capitalism (well, closer to it). If the company is not happy they can fire him, even if it's for something "silly" such as the color of his shirt.
If that's what they want to do then fine, yes the company that fires based on goofy reasons is wrong, but it should be the choice of the employer.

Right to work does not mean that ALL employers are suddenly assholes. Remember that it is expensive to hire and train. Only the bad companies treat employees like crap, and they will regardless of a Union, and will at some point go under. With no Unions and "Right to work" people effectively vote with their feet. Yes it sucks for the people sometimes, but that's life, sometimes things suck.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Steve, I thought you were retired due to health issues. Glad your able to work.
Cianbro; Civil and heavy industrial construction company operating in the Northeast.

Ya I am, retired, if you want to call it that. I worked for Cianbro when they built those two oil rigs up here. In, I think 03, maybe 02.

Wish I could work, I am getting a ¼ of what I used to make. But back on track.

Cianbro was Non Union, so non union they wouldn’t hire union welders and went north to Canada and hired those guys. I was hired to work fri, sat, sun. and sometimes it was a couple or three weeks before I got a day off. Living in a motel with 2 or 3 other guys.

They fired a guy one time for not showing up early, 2 AM vs. 6 AM once when they asked for volunteers to come in early during high tide to help move both rigs.

That was bulshit. He was one of the hardest workers I ever worked with and a single dad/children.
We did build some interesting crap on that job,
off shore oil drilling rigs.
Paper mills ovens,
Bridges, and more.

Steve

------------------

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Cliffw, if more people were like you, there would be no need for unions.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Next job you get, have it put it writing what your and their responsibilities are as to time. Ive always had my shop business going, but there were times I also had a full time job working for others. I had a few that wanted me to work overtime hours, even though it was not 'required'. One place was an RV body repair where I was the only fiberglass repairman and painter. At the time I also had my air charter and limo business going and weekends were not an option. I was told everyone worked overtime saturdays. I said bye bye. I wasnt about to work for double time hourly wage when my business was bringing in hundreds of dollars for same time spent. For last 20 years, the body shop has been the sole business and I worked that full time. I never worked past 5pm or weekends period .... unless it would be because of something I caused (like a 3 hour lunch hour). I cant tell you how many people wanted me to fix their wrecked car on weekends. Drop it off Friday and pick it back up Sunday nite. I always told them same thing, 'you can drop it off Friday if you want, but if you pick it up Sunday, it wont even have been moved."

Good luck finding another one quickly this time.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
On the menu tonight, is a fifteen ounce steak, mashed potatoes, spinach, and for dessert, beer.
I feel free.

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:
Cliffw, if more people were like you, there would be no need for unions.

Thank you Scott but I can't agree. The whole crew wanted to quit but they tied their hands with debt, and/or are scared to. Also, I have posted here on this forum that I would be interested in starting a union for the oil field. I can see the usefulness of a union and collective bargaining/voice. I just don't think it needs to happen with thuggery. Such as threats and assaults on replacement workers who cross the picket line, the ostrasizing of union members who do not agree with a decision/demand and want to work anyway.

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Good luck finding another one quickly this time.

Thank you Roger. This one might be salvageable. I have already contacted upper management. I was asked to do something beyond company policy.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

The last time I quit, I was un/under employed for 15 months. I started last May for a good wage, and since then have gotten $12,240.00 a year more in raises and promotions. I could easily bank $75,000.00 a year working just six months, as I work on a week on/ week off schedule. But, what good is money if you have no time to enjoy it ? What's the point of having a job if you can't enjoy life and more importantly, your family.
I don't live to work. I work to live. Live the life that I want. If I don't have time to beat the wife and kick seperate the (three) dogs, what good is life, ?

Fixed!

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-14-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:
Fixed!

Oh, you think so ?
I am pimp daddy,
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Steve

I'm a teacher who belongs to a "union." Overtime is not only mandatory, but it's also uncompensated.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 03-14-2011).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
With any job, if you don't like the working conditions, you have the ability to leave and change jobs maybe for the better, maybe for the worse.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Well, Monday night, my wife went to her Mom's. To watch the Bachellor. I did the bar scene ... to watch the bachelorettes, . Rested and did errands the last two days. What else is there to do while unemployed ?
Oooh oooh, I know. Go pick up my uniforms from the uniform company (after cleaning) and return them to the office. In Corpus. Where my Mom lives. During Spring Break (can anybody say Padre Island, scantily clad bikini gals, and beer ?). Gonna try and slap some sense into the office but what the hey, . Not expecting nothing, don't care ...for an outfit that don't care about me.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Well, Monday night, my wife went to her Mom's. To watch the Bachellor. I did the bar scene ... to watch the bachelorettes, . pick up my uniforms from the uniform company (after cleaning) and return them to the office. In Corpus. Where my Mom lives. During Spring Break (can anybody say Padre Island, scantily clad bikini gals, and beer ?).

This is wifey. Came home to make him lunch on my lunch hour. I am not happy.
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Busted!
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

This is wifey. Came home to make him lunch on my lunch hour. I am not happy.

Need a place to hide for a bit Cliff?
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
LOL epic!!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:
Busted!

No no, heh heh heh, . She recognizes my sarcastic witt. She wasn't happy before I quit, or when I told her I need to. She wasn't happy when I told her I was gonna quit. We tried to talk about it, but, I couldn't, . frack 'em.

Originally posted by WBailey1041:
Need a place to hide for a bit Cliff?

You ever heard of the shell game ? I've got three dogs, and three dog houses. She has a set schedule. There's always the lake place

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
LOL epic!!

Not yet, .

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 03-16-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
So, the big hour is here. I gotta admit, I am kinda nervous. I don't know whether to go in grovelling like a biatch, or go in with both guns blazing.
This is my speil :

Orion rigs are manned 24/7/365 days a year to keep Orion competitive and successful. For that to happen, we roughnecks have to give up one half of our lives. Our personal relationships, interests and responsibilities, usually scheduled for our off-weeks, are now interrupted by arbitrary demands to return to work.

When I am at work for Orion I give 100%. I am ready with a pen, tally notebook, and a crescent wrench (to keep from taking time to find a tool). I am rested and otherwise fit for duty and have never been late. I have had my work parameters changed many times and always accepted them

I have had my schedule changed, with little to no notice, from this week off to the other. I have had my tour changed from rotating nights to days to nights only (which presents body clock difficulties). I have always met days off rig movement, as cumbersome as they are. I have agreed to all changes asked of me on Orion time.

However, I don't live to work, I work to live. I have a personal life in which others count on me. I have to maintain my lake property, my home property, and help with my elderly mother's home. I also have many interests and hobbies that enable mental relaxation, and I like to spend time with my wife and children. All this is impossible without a set schedule. It is impossible to schedule medical appointments and any other routine appointments when you do not know if you will be able to keep them.

Please consider the non-scheduled demands placed upon me recently. We, the crew, showed up for out hitch and were told, via a nasty memo (attached) that we will have to work a day extra to wash and paint. We then work 6 days into our hitch and are told, after adjusting our schedule, that the extra day was put on undetermined hold. We are also told that it is rig move time and to be there Thursday and Friday. Thursday comes around and it is now moved to Friday and Saturday. We get there Friday expecting to move the rig, only to be told that it will now be the rest of our days off plus our full hitch.

We had to leave home at 1:00 a.m. to move the rig, then work 15 hours. Then, there was no place to sleep and had to drive 1 hour to Laredo uncompensated) and get up an extra hour early to make it back to the rig to join on-times the crews scheduled with on-site sleeping accommodations.

To make it worse, we wake and get on duty at 6:00 a.m. We were told we would get off at noon and return on our regular hitch giving us approximately an 18 hour rest/errand window. At 2:00 p.m., two hours after we were told we would get off, we were told to take off and be back at 8:00 p.m. to spud in on days off. That is 18 hours of work asked in a 24 hour period when Orion policy states 14 hours maximum per day. This demand faced people who were not even groceried up due to not knowing the time demands to be placed upon them. It is very hard to be rested and ready to work 12-15 hours and then to be told to go to sleep so we can work all night long. The body doesn't work that way.

We are supposed to be fit for duty. I was out of blood pressure medication and was not afforded personal time to renew my prescription. With the unscheduled demands placed on me, I am not able to perform my job safely, efficiently and in good health.

I feel I have a lot to offer Orion Drilling (see resume). All I ask in return is a set schedule that I can rely on. I an willing to accommodate changes as long as they are reasonable.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Well, it seems that they do not want to give me the time of day.
What should I do now ?

Spring Break (can anybody say Padre Island, scantily clad bikini gals, and beer ?).

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2011 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

What should I do now ?

It's a right to work state, which means you have no right to work if you don't want to, and employers have no obligation to employ you. You quit, walked away. They have no reason to rehire you or even allow you on their premises.

Best bet is to find an employer whose work rules are more suitable for your lifestyle.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
What should I do now ?

Spring Break (can anybody say Padre Island, scantily clad bikini gals, and beer ?).

Originally posted by JazzMan:
It's a right to work state, which means you have no right to work if you don't want to, and employers have no obligation to employ you. You quit, walked away. They have no reason to rehire you or even allow you on their premises.
Best bet is to find an employer whose work rules are more suitable for your lifestyle.

I'll play. You are wrong again. I do have a right to work, even if I do not want to.
Yeah, I quit and walked away. With good enough reason for me. They do have reasons to rehire me. If they are smart, they will.
I don't bet but this employer had rules suitable to me. Where is the civility and decorum in that they can not keep them ?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

What should I do now ?
I'll play. You are wrong again. I do have a right to work, even if I do not want to.
Yeah, I quit and walked away. With good enough reason for me. They do have reasons to rehire me. If they are smart, they will.
I don't bet but this employer had rules suitable to me. Where is the civility and decorum in that they can not keep them ?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Quoted by JazzMan:]Originally posted by cliffw:
What should I do now ?

And uh.... what does your quote accomplish ?

I got the time of day. Unfortunately, their clock was wrong.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003

What should I do now ?
Oooh oooh, I know.
I am gonna picket them.
Question. What made that ant think than he could move that rubber tree plant ?
a) Because of the Little Engine That Could ?
b) Because he had high hopes ?
c) Because he knew he couldn't if he did not try.
d) Because he wanted to.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Made it back home. What should I do now ?
Umm, is that a full moon ?
PFF
System Bot
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

There's always the lake place.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the new oilfield has changed a lot. The schedule (or lack of one) that you describe, is the way it always was back when I was in it.

I remeber when there was an attempt to unionize the oil patch way back when. (actually remember talking to guys who were there when it took place--it happened before I broke into the field)

It didn't end well--the union organizer was shot dead on the board road leading to the rig in La when he and other unionists attempted to stop a crew from getting to work.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-19-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Yep, the new oilfield has changed a lot. The schedule (or lack of one) that you describe, is the way it always was back when I was in it.

I remeber when there was an attempt to unionize the oil patch way back when. (actually remember talking to guys who were there when it took place--it happened before I broke into the field)

It didn't end well--the union organizer was shot dead on the board road leading to the rig in La when he and other unionists attempted to stop a crew from getting to work.

Nice and you say unions are violent peaces of crap.

Steve

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw, quoted by FrugalFiero:
There's always the lake place.

Why yes, yes there is. Not exactly sure why you quoted that but you bring up an excellent point. One of which I did not overlook. In fact, I stopped there on my way home, Friday night. I went back Saturday. Here I sit now. It may be a crappy piece of dirt but it is my dirt. And so much more. (It's really not crappy.) I went to the Wild Hog Explosion. My friend/neighbor decided that he wants to enter the world of sanctioned BBQ cook off contests. It was a biker rally, of sorts, and much more. It was an event put on by the Albert and Margaret Alkek Foundation. The proceeds were for the benefit of the Bandera Kronkosky Library. We are a small community but we are proud.
Man, what fun. The BBQ cook off. If you have not interacted in one, you are missing out. The creativity is awesome. Also the artsmanship. From the fabricated pits to the themes, to the team names. The people. They were great. A counter culture for sure. Man, I had a good time.
Back on topic, life is too short for a crappy job.

Originally posted by maryjane:

Hmm. How did you know when to show up for work ?
No, I all too well know what you mean. Used to be, as I hear tell, that roughnecks would pitch in cash, just so that they could finalize the financing of the well being drilled. Roughnecks, heh, quite the term. Excuse me sir, for taking the liberty, excuse the pun, but ... "the few, the proud, the roughnecks". You, being a Marine, and a roughneck, might understand. The job is not only hard but you have to will yourself to do it.
Seriously Don, I am glad you entered this discussion. As I value your wisdom, insight, and advice. Of which I would like some, . What should I do now ?
Oooh oooh, I know. Chapter three. (Chapter one, quit an unsafe situation. Chapter two, discuss it with the office. )
Well, the end of chapter two was that I could not get the time of day from the office. So much for their "open door policy". Where upon we are supposed to be able to take grievenences to the next level. It was demanded of me to work in an unsafe manner. Being on a Sunday, with no posted open door contact resources, I contacted the office bright and early Monday morning. Was told to recontact them after they got the other side of the story from the rig. Which I did. Only to get voice mail and no, as requested. return call. I could have made it to my regularly scheduled hours of duty. I followed up that phone call with another, on Wednesday, hoping to discuss the situation. Again, voice mail. Again, no returned call.
What ever. It is what it is. That was what I was told when demanded that I work in an unsafe manner. So, I went to the office to turn in my uniforms. Expecting to, being in person, to be able to speak with someone about my issue. Expecting to talk to the head of Health and Human Resources. The person I called when this debacle transpired. The person who asked me to call her back. That did not happen. It is what it isn't seems to be the case.
I do however get to talk to minion Michelle, . I liked her. I can see why she has her job. She however did piss me off. I asked her to read my spiel (as posted here before) and she told me she was gonna stop, after the first paragraph. Explaining that I don't work half my life while working on the rig when I said "give up half my life". And, if she thinks living in crew quarters is not work, not an imposition, is enjoyable, and what I want to do, she is dillusional. I don't get paid for that. I was however able to get her to read the rest of my spiel. I asked that she forward it to the director of Health and Human Resources. She said she would.
So, what do I do now ? I know, I know. Chapter three. I file for unemployment compensation. Dang near impossible to get when you quit, but not impossible. I am also gonna picket them.
heh heh. Timing is everything. Stay tuned.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Oooh, I forgot to mention. I've got a new paying gig.

This is wifey. I am not happy.

Now she is gonna be pissed, . I am gonna become a carnie. The Wild Hog Explosion had a carnival. Rides, rip off games, the whole slew. They need tear down help tonight. After the event ends, I am gonna go on the road with them. To help erect the, umm carnival. Tomorrow night/day. Next stop .... Kerrville Texas,
Beer money.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Back on topic, life is too short for a crappy job.

I quoted it and the above as a friendly reminder, because the lake place sounds like a great place to go -

when you're not working at a crappy job. Enjoy!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

What should I do now ?

And if you had a union they would have to talk to you. And never do what your little Hitler did.

Steve

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I do however get to talk to minion Michelle, .

She, ?had to give me the time of day?
Well, what happened, was basically, those with the gold can make the golden rule(s).
Not exactly.

And if you had a union they would have to talk to you.

Steve, I do not need a union to fight my fights. They will have to talk with me. They will want to talk with me. They will have to. To fight me if they so wish. I filed for unemployment benefits of which I am sure they will contest.

So, what do I do now ? I know, I know. Chapter three. I file for unemployment compensation. Dang near impossible to get when you quit, but not impossible.

, look at the Texas Workforce Commission's rules (searching required). The Texas Workforce Commission is a state agency. The rules seem to favor employers, . A few snippits.

below linkies
ESPECIALLY FOR TEXAS EMPLOYERS

I can't find one especially for texas employees, , , .

Work Schedules
5) Under the employment at will doctrine, an employer can change an employee's hours with or without notice.
6) No Texas or federal law requires advance notice of overtime or schedule changes, but as with most employee relations matters, it is a good idea to give as much advance notice as possible when informing employees of extra work or changes in their hours; sudden and adverse changes in hours, or burdensome overtime requirements announced with little or no notice, can under some circumstances amount to good cause connected with the work for an employee to resign, resulting in potential unemployment insurance eligibility for the employee who resigned. Any such employee would have the burden of proving that a reasonable employee would have resigned under the circumstances, and in addition would have to show that they gave reasonable notice to the employer that they were so dissatisfied over the schedule change that they were considering resigning from the company.

III. Focus: Voluntary Leaving
This section deals with what you need in order to respond to an unemployment claim involving a claimant who has resigned, i.e., left work voluntarily. In any such case, you need to show three main things. First, you need to show that the claimant left voluntarily while continued work was still available. Second, you should try to show that the claimant left for personal reasons not related to the work, or if the claimant left for work-related reasons, that a reasonable employee would not have quit under such circumstances. Third, if applicable, show that the claimant quit without affording you an opportunity to address whatever problem allegedly led to the resignation. In the vast majority of cases, employers will be able to prove these things with documentation and with firsthand testimony from witnesses who have direct, personal knowledge of the events in question. Although the claimant has the burden of proving "good cause connected with the work" for quitting, in real life employers still have to be ready to rebut whatever justifications the claimant tries to give for leaving when he did. This is especially the case when an employee quits because of a reprimand or some other adverse job action. In such a situation, the employer's evidence will need to be basically the same as if the claimant had been discharged.

Oil well, I'll deal with it. Like they said when I said I would have to quit, ... "it is what it is".
Not exactly ! What you think it is, is not what it is. Never has been, never will.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Oooh, I forgot.
Question. I am supposed to look for at least five jobs a week. Two old employers have already called me asking me if I would work for them. Does that count as a job search contact ? Considering I considered the offer, does that count ?
No answer needed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock