Started on: 03-14-2011 07:13 AM
Replies: 60
Last post by: cliffw on 06-10-2011 01:28 PM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Oooh, I forgot.
Question. I am supposed to look for at least five jobs a week. Two old employers have already called me asking me if I would work for them. Does that count as a job search contact ? Considering I considered the offer, does that count ?
No answer needed.

no
IP: Logged
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Wrong answer Jake, . There is a wage threshold I am expected to accept. If I apply for a job and they are willing to hire me, if they do not offer me a wage compatible with what I was making, I can decline the offer and still be eligible for unemployment compensation.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
after 6 years in the field i took an office job myself..i couldnt take the attitude of all the green hands coming in..after this last down turn in the patch and with this years upswing i was glad i moved out of the field and into the office..i now do purchasing for all the 12 rigs my company owns..it sure is nice to go home at the end of the day and i even get to sneak home for lunch too..while i do miss the iron i am sure enjoying the plush swivel office chair i have more!! dunno if you would consider that a new career choice but it sure works for me..with all your knowledge of the rigs and its components it would definitely be an easy transition...it has been for me..plus the guys i deal with sure appreciate the fact that when they phone in and talk to me i actually know wtf they are talking about..either way good luck with whatever path you choose...tim
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Unemployment $400 a week, working $450 a week less taxes, welfare $300 a week..what to do what to do?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Wrong answer Jake, .

An offered job shouldn't be considered looking for a job, especially if you don't plan on taking it. You list them and someone gets a wild hair and contacts them you could have issues with your benefits.
Good luck with the job search.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
You could be right. I'll ask.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35920 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Old Lar:
Unemployment $400 a week, working $450 a week less taxes, welfare $300 a week..what to do what to do?

Yes yes, I see my dilemma.

dictionary.com
dilemma – noun
1. a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.

I can go up to Lubbock and sub contract out to a contractor working for the Texas Highway Department. $1,500. 00 +/- dollars plus expenses for ten days work.
What to do, what to do ?
I know, I know. Contact the unemployment compensation office to make sure I do not loose my claim.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have some really bad news. I quit my job due to not being afforded time to do my job safely and efficiently. Last night my driller (boss) of the crew I quit, was killed by an on the job accident. A good man who I highly respect. I left on good graces and best wishes from him. He left behind a wife and two children (ages nine and two).
I know safety was an issue. On many fronts. I should not elaborate here I guess.
In other news, Orion Drilling has till Tuesday to approve, or fight, my claim for unemployment compensation.
RIP Michale Duckett.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Well, I have some really bad news. I quit my job due to not being afforded time to do my job safely and efficiently. Last night my driller (boss) of the crew I quit, was killed by an on the job accident. A good man who I highly respect. I left on good graces and best wishes from him. He left behind a wife and two children (ages nine and two).
I know safety was an issue. On many fronts. I should not elaborate here I guess.
In other news, Orion Drilling has till Tuesday to approve, or fight, my claim for unemployment compensation.
RIP Michale Duckett.

Very sorry to hear about your boss.
Tell the company that if they don't approve it, you'll cooperate with OSHA, or whoever is going to investigate the accident.
Of course, I'm sure you'd cooperate anyway. You could just be a little more proactive in your cooperation.
Have you got any way to collect for the unsafe conditions, other than unemployment compensation? (Pardon my ignorance. I know nothing about your industry.)
Either way, it sounds like you've got the upper hand, here. Sorry it had to be that way.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

RIP Michale Duckett.

Good vibes to him and his family as well as you Cliff.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

RIP Michale Duckett.

Damm that sucks. You knew that the conditions would get someone hurt and you did what you could by making the most strong statement you could, you quit. I hope they pay well for what can not be replaced.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Very sorry to hear about your boss. Sorry it had to be that way.

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Good vibes to him and his family as well as you Cliff.

Originally posted by FriendGregory:
Damm that sucks. I hope they pay well for what can not be replaced.

Thanks guys. Had a hard time going to sleep last night.
[shudder] 'Ya know, had I not quit just two weeks ago, my position of duty during that particular operation (raising the rig after a rig move) would have been right next to him or within ten feet. [/shudder]

Tell the company that if they don't approve it, you'll cooperate with OSHA, or whoever is going to investigate the accident.
Of course, I'm sure you'd cooperate anyway. You could just be a little more proactive in your cooperation.
Either way, it sounds like you've got the upper hand, here. Sorry it had to be that way.

That's not the way I roll and #1, the upper hand I have is that I am right in my actions and unemployment claim. #2, I really don't give a flying flip if my claim gets approved or not. I was forcing them to the table to discuss my issue. I had actually hoped to get my job back, (and with Michael Duckett, ). Companies vigorously fight against wrongful unemployment compensation claims. Should I win, one of my required five job search contacts every week, would have been with Orion. "Would have been" is a big question right now considering the circumstances, and others connected to Orion. I am gonna work on a rig again (it's in my blood) and I have not ruled out Orion. I can make a difference. I owe it to the industry which has taken care of me all my life. I owe it to the people who have worked beside me. I owe it to those who might consider this vocation. I owe it to Michael Duckett.

Raydar, thanks for your post. I know how awkward it can be to think of something to say in situations such as this. There is going to be an equally awkward, moment of silence, should they fight me and I have a hearing, and when my #1 witness is dead from an on the job accident.

Have you got any way to collect for the unsafe conditions, other than unemployment compensation? (Pardon my ignorance. I know nothing about your industry.)

Umm, yes, yes there is, but civility and decorum () keep me from discussing it here at this time.

Originally posted by FriendGregory:
I hope they pay well for what can not be replaced.

Heh, the industry has placed tools in place to absolve or insulate themselves from fault. To the point of if someone gets hurt. and they did not preceed the operation with a JSA (job safety analysis), the employee is at fault for not considering and eliminating the dangers that they might face. To the point that anytime someone gets hurt, a new law rule would be made up. Some really dumb. Such as wearing a full faced shield and safety glasses when pressure washing. The safety man will preach it but follow him to the car wash and see if he wears one, . If you do not follow a rule, you, not the company, are at fault for your injuries. 'Cept when they push you to a break neck pace, such as they did me, they do not create conditions favorable to follow all these time consuming rules.
I am still getting information on what happened. I was not there to contribute to an investigation. I do know what time it is though.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 04-03-2011).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
How does one get into this field......
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Chris, no easy answer to that question. Who you know always works. High employment demand creates conditions where they will train inexperienced help. Myself, it was a combination of things. Mainly lieing saying I had experience. Once I got fired, I had some so lied again exaggerating my experience.
Tell you what. I can help. I had an old thread detailing things needed to be done. Let me see if I can find it, later. I am getting ready to go to work here soon,

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Chris, no easy answer to that question. Who you know always works. High employment demand creates conditions where they will train inexperienced help. Myself, it was a combination of things. Mainly lieing saying I had experience. Once I got fired, I had some so lied again exaggerating my experience.
Tell you what. I can help. I had an old thread detailing things needed to be done. Let me see if I can find it, later. I am getting ready to go to work here soon,

*waits patiently* I stayed at a Holiday Inn express so I know what im doing .
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Not going to mention THAT word again.

Just going to say this,

You have the perfect opportunity to try and get safety problems fixed right here. Not trying to downplay the loss of this man but you could use his death to try and make things better, instead of just getting unemployment benefits out of it.

Knowing what you know can help his widow some sort of compensation. As well as getting conditions changed for the better.

Again I am sorry for the loss of a fellow worker, but don’t let his death be the first in a long line of tragedies because of bad managements decisions.

I hope at least you guys on the rig had some sort of life insurance policy provided by the company with a double indemnity clause.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Please don't tell my Momma I work in the oil fields. She thinks I am a piano player in a whorehouse.
Anything I can help you with Chris, let me know. Water well drilling experience would be a good plus for lack of oil well drilling experience.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Please don't tell my Momma I work in the oil fields. She thinks I am a piano player in a whorehouse.
Anything I can help you with Chris, let me know. Water well drilling experience would be a good plus for lack of oil well drilling experience.

Read the thread and am now reading the links. Sounds straight forward. Be the high ups biotch, do as told and dont get killed. Then get a paycheck. Sounds like doing asphalt. 20 bucks a hour.... I dont even know what I would do with 20 bucks a hour. Hmmm, 4 years of school to become a Electrical Engineer or try something new and possibly start a year later. Im going to read now.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,
I'm sorry if my previous post seemed callous and mercenary.
I was just thinking that you might be able to make some positive changes within the company and still continue to make a living as well.

I have no doubt that your actions were/are correct, just that this situation is a graphic illustration of just that point.

Again, I offer my condolences. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry if my previous post seemed callous and mercenary.

Not necessary Raydar. Actually, your post seemed comforting and supportive. Thanks !

Not going to mention THAT word again.

Steve, I believe in the usefulness of a union. You have heard me say right here on PFF that I had thoughts that one was needed for my industry. It's just that I do not believe in the tactics of big union. Mostly the thuggery. Extortion, coercion, intimidation, and other methods. Some of the most unsavory people in civilization are union goons. Jimmy Hoffa comes to mind. Unions have become a political civilization represented by only one party. Defined elsewhere in the world as a dictatorship. Unions have becomes a business of all their own. Unions buy as much influence in government as special interests do. No one should be buying government. Unions do not represent what I think a union should be.

You have the perfect opportunity to try and get safety problems fixed right here. Not trying to downplay the loss of this man but you could use his death to try and make things better, instead of just getting unemployment benefits out of it.

Instead of just getting unemployment benefits ? Steve, I work for myself.

Originally posted by cliffw, this thread.:
Steve, the way I see it, I don't have a boss, I have a customer. They are offering to buy what I have for sale. My time and expertise. Emphasis on my time. I don't have to sell it, they don't have to buy it. If they can get a better deal, more power to them. Their job is not to provide for me.

I really don't give a flying flip if my claim gets approved or not. I was forcing them to the table to discuss my issue. I had actually hoped to get my job back, (and with Michael Duckett) .

My time, right now, is making more than twice unemployment compensation. My claim though, is still valid.
If I could take advantage of his death to make things better, I will.

Again I am sorry for the loss of a fellow worker, but don’t let his death be the first in a long line of tragedies because of bad managements decisions.

Steve, I work for me. I am the management.
His life will not be the first loss. RIP Michael Duckett.

I hope at least you guys on the rig had some sort of life insurance policy provided by the company with a double indemnity clause.

Actually, there was a 5K death benefit, free, provided by Orion. At least burial costs. I had the optional coverage. A generous benefit. Double indemnity ? Not sure.

Knowing what you know can help his widow some sort of compensation.

That I do know.
I had some hopes that I could get back my job with Orion. That is the plan. Not though at the expense of Michael Duckett's widow and children.
They preach it all the time. "We can replace the iron. We can't replace you !" They can't replace Michael Duckett ! They should be honored to try.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I had a hearing today, to see if I was deserving of unemployment benefits. Michael Duckett's opinion was asked. I did not raise the issue that he died on the job. Even though it was mentioned by Orion that he died.
His death had nothing to do with the surrounding facts of my issue. Even though I believe they are related.
The determination, of my hearing, is to be decided.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock