Started on: 03-13-2011 11:08 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: avengador1 on 03-14-2011 04:00 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It's about time someone did this. Multiculturalism does not provide an incentive for people to assimilate our culture and language.
http://www.newsmax.com/Poli...al&promo_code=BDA3-1

Rep. Steve King and Sen. Jim Inhofe have introduced legislation to establish English as the official language of the United States government.

The English Language Unity Act of 2011 requires all official functions of the United States to be conducted in English, establishes a uniform language requirement for naturalization, and places an obligation on representatives of the federal government to encourage individuals to learn English.

Rep. Steve King
Rep. King, an Iowa Republican, said in a statement: "A common language is the most powerful unifying force known throughout history. We need to encourage assimilation of all legal immigrants in each generation. A nation divided by language cannot pull together as effectively as a people."

King led a successful effort to enact legislation establishing English as Iowa's official language.

Sen. Inhofe, an Oklahoma Republican, said: "This legislation will provide much-needed commonality among United States citizens, regardless of heritage. As a nation built by immigrants, it is important that we share one vision and one official language."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
LOL I was thinking "What country is King Inhofe sovereign of?"
It's about time. I don't know why we seem to be welcoming the kind of animosity and other problems that exist in Canada with Quebec. Time to turn up the burner on the old melting pot.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Que cosa!?
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Was at the yard yesterday and a Mexican was trying to ask me if I had a tool he could borrow.
When I told him I couldn't speak Spanish, he acted a little peed off.
Went back and told his two buddies, and they thought it was funny. I know just enough to know what he was saying.
No, it wasn't a yard in Mexico.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus, 1883

That's on a plaque mounted in the Statue of Liberty. Maybe we should forward that to Senators King and Inhofe and ask them which language their ancestors spoke when they arrived here.

Neither look Native American to me.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
You're a little behind the times, now it reads "No Vacancy"

Let me ask you this, the statue of liberty was a gift from france, what language is that plaque written in? Do you HONESTLY think this country would be where it is if every immigrant continued to speak their native language when they came here?

Here's just the top groups of immigrants during that time period...

Countries of Origin
Austria-Hungary Ireland
Belgium Italy
Bulgaria Norway
Denmark Portugal
England Russia
Finland Scotland
France Spain
Germany Sweden
Greece Switzerland
Holland Wales

How many of those are native English speakers?

See this is what the hell I dont get, America basically said "Hey if you dont like where you live, you can come here, we wont persecute you" Now you get all these groups of people who WILLINGLY come here because their home countries suck or whatnot, and they ***** and whine because they dont like long standing American traditions. So what you get is people from the vast minority coming to America and persecuting the vast majority, and bleeding heart liberals let them walk all over us.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

Maybe we should forward that to Senators King and Inhofe and ask them which language their ancestors spoke when they arrived here.

I don't think that's the point...
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

It's about time. I don't know why we seem to be welcoming the kind of animosity and other problems that exist in Canada with Quebec. Time to turn up the burner on the old melting pot.

Animosity ??.....It can run to outright hostility !!

The french/ English thing isnt the only problem...Quebec wants to be part of the country, but has yet to sign the Constitution or recognize the Bill of Rights. The rest of the country is based on the common law system (innocent until proven guilty) but quebec insits on maintaining Napoleanic law (once accused, you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Besides that, most of us are sick and tired of their constant whining and demanding preferential treatment for their "unique culture"

Last time they held a referendum on separating from canada, I was all in favor of not waiting for the vote results and throwing them out.

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus, 1883

That's on a plaque mounted in the Statue of Liberty. Maybe we should forward that to Senators King and Inhofe and ask them which language their ancestors spoke when they arrived here.

We have virtually no culture or borders left.
And you think the language should be thrown out in the bath water as well?
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
Dude,

I managed a Pep Boy's on south 6th in Tucson.... I feel your pain.

Originally posted by partfiero:

Was at the yard yesterday and a Mexican was trying to ask me if I had a tool he could borrow.
When I told him I couldn't speak Spanish, he acted a little peed off.
Went back and told his two buddies, and they thought it was funny. I know just enough to know what he was saying.
No, it wasn't a yard in Mexico.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

........That's on a plaque mounted in the Statue of Liberty. Maybe we should forward that to Senators King and Inhofe and ask them which language their ancestors spoke when they arrived here.

Go and ask them what language they learned while here? My graqndparents arrived here on the boat and none of them knew English. But, they learned it because they knew that without knowing the language they would get no where in this country. They learned it and prospered. The home languages were spoken in the home but in public it was English. Look at how far you can go now without knowing English.......

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good and it's a step in the right direction, but does the bill have any bite? Lets say the bill passes. Who is going to enforce it? The Feds or the states? Which state? What if a state (like goofy CA) decides to opt out-is federal funding cut-off?

What if all of the states enforces the law-does this mean that the illegal’s can stay, but only if they can speak English? So, you're okay if you speak English, but what about writing in English? They're enough illiterate Americans-you might as-well include them too. What's is the time frame? Six months? A year? Who pays?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-14-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Do you not realize how racist that is?

Do you really want to base this on how a person looks? The color of their skin? Their heritage? Should my cousins turn in their Roll Cards because they have blue eyes?

The Native Americans are not the presiding power in this country.

The Native Americans have their own land, Government, and Laws.

Mexicans were her before us as well, that land is now the United States of America.

Both sold the land they owned to the Government of the United States. Whether you think it was fair or not is not in question. It was legal, and has been done and over with for a long time. It's been argued in courts all over this land, and has always been shown to be legal.

If you really have that much of a problem with the language, then go live with my sister on the reservation, I will call and have her get you a room ready whenever you want to go out. The official language there is Navajo, though even they argue over what it should officially be.

Secondly, do you realize how many "native" Indian languages there are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_languages_of_the_Americas
North America

There are approximately 296 spoken (or formerly spoken) indigenous languages north of Mexico, 269 of which are grouped into 29 families (the remaining 27 languages are either isolates or unclassified).

Brad
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
What about English speakers you can't understand? Like Ozzy? Could he become a citizen?
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:
But, they learned it because they knew that without knowing the language they would get no where in this country. They learned it and prospered. The home languages were spoken in the home but in public it was English. Look at how far you can go now without knowing English.......

The key diffrence also being, today, what proprotion of the country (we wont even go into immigrants who are heavily polarized one way or the other) actually cares about gettting anywhere rather that just getting enough to get by as easily as they can.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Animosity ??.....It can run to outright hostility !!

The french/ English thing isnt the only problem...Quebec wants to be part of the country, but has yet to sign the Constitution or recognize the Bill of Rights. The rest of the country is based on the common law system (innocent until proven guilty) but quebec insits on maintaining Napoleanic law (once accused, you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

This is exactly what we need to avoid if it isn't too late already. Multiculturalism as the left advocates does not work. Open your restaurants and your churches, but you do not get to follow your own laws and customs over those of the United States.
English as the official language of the land is a good step in that direction.
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

What about English speakers you can't understand? Like Ozzy? Could he become a citizen?

What makes that so funny is no one has to ask which Ozzy you are referring to.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

x2!
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
More info on this.
Republicans push English-only bill, requires language tests
http://thehill.com/blogs/fl...iring-language-tests

Republicans introduce legislation in the House and Senate to make English the official language of the U.S.

Republicans in both the House and Senate have introduced legislation that would declare English the official language of the United States and require the development of English language testing guidelines for those applying for U.S. citizenship.

The English Language Unity Act would set out a new chapter in U.S. code that imposes an obligation on U.S. officials to "preserve and enhance the role of English as the official language of the Federal Government."
Part of this chapter would include a "uniform English language rule" holding that "all citizens should be able to read and understand generally the English language text of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the laws of the United States made in pursuance of the Constitution."

To ensure this outcome, the bill would require the secretary of Homeland Security to issue a proposed rule for testing the English language ability of candidates for citizenship. The bill envisions possible exceptions to this standard but says these exceptions "should be limited to extraordinary circumstances, such as asylum."

The bill also says English language requirements and workplace policies in the public and private sectors "shall be presumptively consistent with the Laws of the United States."

"This legislation will provide much-needed commonality among United States citizens, regardless of heritage," said Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), who sponsored S. 503. "As a nation built by immigrants, it is important that we share one vision and one official language."

"We need to encourage assimilation of all legal immigrants in each generation," said Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), the House sponsor of H.R. 997, the companion bill. "A nation divided by language cannot pull together as effectively as a people."

The House bill is being sponsored by 60 House Republicans, but the Senate bill had no co-sponsors as of Friday.

Are there any Democrats for this?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock