Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Japanese government considering beginning capping one reactor in next three hours. (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Japanese government considering beginning capping one reactor in next three hours. by Wudman
Started on: 03-13-2011 11:06 AM
Replies: 155
Last post by: phonedawgz on 10-19-2011 09:40 PM
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/...quake_nuclear_crisis
No news about a containment vessel leak, but damaged suspension pool and exposed rods are reported.
IP: Logged
Wudman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
The next 20 to 24 hours have the winds blowing inland. As long as they don't have an explosion that ejects longer-life isotopes, it won't be a big deal. As far as the Yahoo report, start searching beyond Yahoo's incredible ability to emulate the Entertainment Network. Yahoo is the least reliable news repeating service, so much so I tend to ignore any links they repeat.

Once I linked to a Yahoo story only to check the link a few hours later and the story changed. If by some chance I link to a Yahoo story, I copy the text and paste it as an article along with the link just in case the story changes. There is a video on my channel covering that little charm.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Breaking 2nd explosion at reactor 2 according to Fox News containment breach!!!
No link yet, was just on TV. If this is so, Reactor 2 has went into full meltdown!!

Anything to back up your statement? Or just trying to cause alarm?
Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
I am listening to the news conference LIVE from NHK

"We have detected a lowering in pressure that suggests something is leaking from the containment vessel"

Again, LIVE, right now..

"..measuring readings of 965 sievert..."

Live, right now from the source..

"...we are evacuating the plant,
...people can't stay there for more than a few hours,
... the readings are so high, how are we going to fix it?"

The talking head heard this in real time..
Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

Wudman

1593 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Phonedawg, stop watching that Packer's Superbowl video tape and get in the stream. Most of the stuff is out there if you take some time to research instead of just calling out everyone as "Chicken Littles".
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:

I am listening to the news conference LIVE from NHK

"We have detected a lowering in pressure that suggests something is leaking from the containment vessel"

Again, LIVE, right now..

"..measuring readings of 965 sievert..."

Live, right now from the source..

"...we are evacuating the plant,
...people can't stay there for more than a few hours,
... the readings are so high, how are we going to fix it?"

The talking head heard this in real time..

Maybe a link? The statements you are attributing to be from a news conference are not the type of things that are said at news conferences.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 03-14-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
If anyone needs proof of this I suggest they read the topic of this thread.
Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Maybe a link? The statements you are attributing to be from a news conference are not the type of things that are said at news conferences.

Give it a minute, I am sure the link will pop up. I am piggybacking a feed that monitors the press conferences via the net. I was typing as it was being translated live. Having said that, I have absolute faith there will be a link soon enough. Of course at the same time I was watching my net feed, parts of that news conference was being broadcast on CNN.

You could have watched that.

One thing I have learned is that if a debate or even an interaction style feels "circular", there is nothing that one could say or post that would be validated as real.

I bet if I keep typing a link will pop before I am finished.
Speak of the devil..
It is starting to filter in...
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tn...20110315D15JF844.htm

http://www.bloomberg.com/ne...-may-be-damaged.html

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

Wudman

1593 posts
Member since Jan 2001
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Read this. It has it pretty much right on.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/083464-2.html#p65
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
When you troll all the news sources for the worst possible case news reporting you will find it.
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Was on Fox when i posted, what do you want??? They said containment breach, might have been the poor translating being done after the explosion.
Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

When you troll all the news sources for the worst possible case news reporting you will find it.

Well sir, I stand corrected! I see the error of my ways. I though you were serious about news and really wanted links to current news stories from multiple sources. I understand now your standard for news is a comment on an MSNBC news story that is three explosions ago.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Read this. It has it pretty much right on.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/083464-2.html#p65

I realized, when I was rereading that posting, that the info is now almost 27 hours old. A lifetime in this situation.
As I said when I made the posting, please take it with a grain of salt.
Things can change (and apparently have) rapidly.

Please keep it up Wudman. While I don't believe much of anything I hear or read until I've heard it from several directions, I find your dissertations quite thoughtful and interesting.
Gonna have to check out your channel more.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-14-2011).]

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Was on Fox when i posted, what do you want??? They said containment breach, might have been the poor translating being done after the explosion.

Dennis, disengage, this isn't about the news with Mr. Phone Dawg. It is about control and like at Yellowstone, you don't feed the bears.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:

From the "talking head".. The last explosion came from within the containment vessel. This power plant has the worst safety record and the company has a history of lying. What a combination, we are operating where all answers are theoretical and the company in charge appears to be incapable of managing the emergency or truth.

Like most places, those in charge aren't always the most qualified. Once in awhile it has enormous consequences.
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
i really hope that no other containments blow .
Japan called officially for US help to cool their reactors .
That would have been good two days ago but now ?

I really hope that there will be no chernobyl like cloud and i hope that the US westcoast wont get much radiation .
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
What I am interested in is what is actually happening. What I am not interested in is someone who doesn't understand what is happening attempting to translate it and misrepresents it.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

What I am interested in is what is actually happening. What I am not interested in is someone who doesn't understand what is happening attempting to translate it and misrepresents it.

Then you should head over there, all we are getting here is bad translation attempts.

Brad
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Like most places, those in charge aren't always the most qualified. Once in awhile it has enormous consequences.

Yeah, I remember when the managers said go on the launch, frozen O-rings and all...

------------------
Bring back civility and decorum!

It's possible to understand someone's point of view without accepting it. It's possible to disagree with someone without being rude and nasty about it. Sure it's hard, but nothing worth doing is ever easy, is it?

8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Yeah, I remember when the managers said go on the launch, frozen O-rings and all...

A PRIME example of the Pointy Haired Boss syndrome.. right there!!!
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
No capping going on, but a fire in reactor #4 (apparently the spent fuel??) is probably doing nothing to help with the fall-out issue.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
comment removed..

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 08-06-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Hows that cap doing?
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Hows that cap doing?

The comment was removed because enough crap was going on off topic, I didn't need to add to it, just to make a point. As stated in the other thread I will not allow you to take the thread to the trash can.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Yes the reactors shut down right after the quake.

It takes time for the reactions to subside. During that time the excess heat needs to be dissipated or the core will overheat and the tube that hold the fuel will melt.

I see the problem in expecting the power plants are not going to have issues. Tens of thousands of people died and entire cities have been wiped out. There have been serious fires and explosions at other locations.

There are also 3 reactors that need to continue to be cooled. This could turn into one more serous situation. So far it has been contained. There is pretty much 0% chance that any radioactive issues could reach California, even in the worst foreseeable situations.

Once again you were wrong. California did get light fallout.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The level of radioactivity was too low to be of an issue.

Yes detectable, but no not an issue. To put it in perspective, it is possible to detect a sample of air and tell if the air was pre-1945 or post 1945 because of detectable radioactivity. And no, it is not an issue.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,
How many goddamned threads are you going to drag up about this?!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-11-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I must have really pissed him off pointing out he thought polonium was plutonium. He is dredging up everything he can to try to discredit me.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-11-2011).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

I must have really pissed him off pointing out he thought polonium was plutonium.

The very nerve of ya'!
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2011 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

I must have really pissed him off pointing out he thought polonium was plutonium. He is dredging up everything he can to try to discredit me.

You do a fine job of discrediting yourself, no outside help needed...
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Like making some dumb ass statement like the Japanese government was going to begin to cap the reactor in the next three hours? Clearly there has been one side of this discussion that has been continuously way off the mark.

I know you and Dennis_6 will always be Nuke power haters. I just have a huge issue with the misinformation that has been tried to be spread to OTHERS via these threads.

If you two don't like the fact that I call your statements wacko - then don't make wacko statements. Learn the difference between plutonium and polonium. Just because they are both radioactive, and the spelling looks similar doesn't make them similar. You now know what containment is and that it makes a huge difference in the safety of a nuclear reactor accident. It's clear that someone had no idea before. You learned that Chernobyl didn't melt down, it exploded and burned. You learned Chernobyl was a poorly designed unstable Russian graphite reactor. You learned that there was no way they were going to start pouring concrete on the hot reactor on day 3.

When YOU two use tactics like going back months and dredging up old discussions and then re-posting them, YOU will be doing nothing but getting these threads locked - which btw, would be just fine with me.

WHEN YOUR SOURCE USES WORDS LIKE 'IT APPEARS' FOR YOU TO REPEAT THAT STATEMENT OMITTING THE WORDS CHANGES THE MEANING OF THE SENTENCE AND MAKES YOUR STATEMENTING INCORRECT.

In the future do some thinking (research) before posting some wacko statement and you guys won't look quite so foolish.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-12-2011).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Like making some dumb ass statement like the Japanese government was going to begin to cap the reactor in the next three hours? Clearly there has been one side of this discussion that has been continuously way off the mark.

I know you and Dennis_6 will always be Nuke power haters. I just have a huge issue with the misinformation that has been tried to be spread to OTHERS via these threads.

If you two don't like the fact that I call your statements wacko - then don't make wacko statements. Learn the difference between plutonium and polonium. Just because they are both radioactive, and the spelling looks similar doesn't make them similar. You now know what containment is and that it makes a huge difference in the safety of a nuclear reactor accident. It's clear that someone had no idea before. You learned that Chernobyl didn't melt down, it exploded and burned. You learned Chernobyl was a poorly designed unstable Russian graphite reactor. You learned that there was no way they were going to start pouring concrete on the hot reactor on day 3.

When YOU two use tactics like going back months and dredging up old discussions and then re-posting them, YOU will be doing nothing but getting these threads locked - which btw, would be just fine with me.

WHEN YOUR SOURCE USES WORDS LIKE 'IT APPEARS' FOR YOU TO REPEAT THAT STATEMENT OMITTING THE WORDS CHANGES THE MEANING OF THE SENTENCE AND MAKES YOUR STATEMENTING INCORRECT.

In the future do some thinking (research) before posting some wacko statement and you guys won't look quite so foolish.

Classic conservative name calling and semantic attacks. Too bad, you seem so smart in Tech...

Edit to add:

BTW, dipshite, I know the difference between polonium and plutonium...

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 09-12-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Thats funny, because the media said Japan was going to cap the reactors, I wonder where they got that info from? Certainly not from me. Maybe from the industry your trying to protect, even though they constantly lie? I also love how you jump on every technicality, grammar mistake, or spelling mistake to attack. It doesn't matter that even though you have been trying your best to downplay the whole incident and have been wrong about it being a minor incident the entire time. FYI, I knew how the Soviets constructed their reactors. Chernobyl is old news. I was arguing that what wasn't blown out of the reactor melted. That is fact. You were stating Chernobyl couldn't happen in Japan because of the lack of a graphite reactor and Fukushima having containment. If you had dropped the insults and listened to what I was saying, you would have understood I was talking about the rods melting and escaping all containment. At that point it would be as bad as a disaster as chernobyl. Japanese scientist are now speculating that may have happened.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 09-12-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
No one in the nuclear industry would have said anything as stupid as "Japanese government considering beginning capping one reactor in next three hours."

Anyone who EVER worked in the nuclear industry would have known that line for the bull **** that it was and would not have been stupid enough to give it any credibility, much less repeat is.

It didn't come from the industry. It can from some wacko. And it was repeated by wackos. And it was even believed by some wackos.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Sorry - meant to post it the other thread.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-19-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock