US Fuel prices by PhilipFiero
Started on: 03-12-2011 07:47 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: JazzMan on 03-14-2011 12:29 PM
PhilipFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post
What does a gallon of fuel cost you? Over here, the price is at an all time high, at 9 dollar per gallon...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Just about $4.00 USD ... depending (of course) whether it's regular, mid-octance or premium.

(San Jose, California)
PhilipFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post
I should move there then. The prices over here really are getting absurd.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
We just saw $3.59 a gallon but it dropped down to $3.49 yesterday.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhilipFiero:

What does a gallon of fuel cost you? Over here, the price is at an all time high, at 9 dollar per gallon...

Good thing you guys have better public transportation, and small area countries. And like bicycles. At 9 bucks a gallon, there is no way we could do an hour long commute by car to work here. And there are no trains or trollies or cabs except in the cities. It breaks the bank at $3.50/gal really when you are doing 90-100 miles a day or more.

You know, I have noticed energy prices going up all over. Food costs. Building supplies cost. Everything is going up, except salaries. I don't know anyone that has gotten a raise in like 3-4 years.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
One thing to consider, it is not unusual for me to drive 2500 miles for one road trip in the states. The US is a big place and as soon as gas prices get higher and higher, travel will decrease dramatically. The US economy is based on the auto industry and travel. Can you drive 2500 miles in the Netherlands? How far is it from Paris to Amsterdam?

As gas prices go up and up, my travel plans/budget go down.
PhilipFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Good thing you guys have better public transportation, and small area countries. And like bicycles. At 9 bucks a gallon, there is no way we could do an hour long commute by car to work here. And there are no trains or trollies or cabs except in the cities. It breaks the bank at $3.50/gal really when you are doing 90-100 miles a day or more.

You know, I have noticed energy prices going up all over. Food costs. Building supplies cost. Everything is going up, except salaries. I don't know anyone that has gotten a raise in like 3-4 years.

Well, the public transport is an utter mess, not to mension under capacitated. It is fair to say that we live in small area countries, however these are higly populated, resulting in clogged up roads during the entire day. Bicycles are very dutch indeed, and they are a quick way to get around. However, they are commonly only used for commutes under 5 km.

[This message has been edited by PhilipFiero (edited 03-12-2011).]

PhilipFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post

PhilipFiero

94 posts
Member since Jan 2010

Originally posted by Old Lar:

One thing to consider, it is not unusual for me to drive 2500 miles for one road trip in the states. The US is a big place and as soon as gas prices get higher and higher, travel will decrease dramatically. The US economy is based on the auto industry and travel. Can you drive 2500 miles in the Netherlands? How far is it from Paris to Amsterdam?

You shouldn't compare the Netherlands to the states, you could however compare the states with Europe I guess. A lot of trips that require long distance travelling are usually done by plane, as this is much cheaper. Amsterdam-Paris is relativly close, it's just 500 km or 312 miles for you guys. Then again, France isn't very far at all from the Netherlands.

[This message has been edited by PhilipFiero (edited 03-12-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
I bought gas for the Contour yesterday at 3.38/gal in Mobile AL. I have lowered my speed from 70 to 62 on my commute. Fuel economy went from 32 to 35.5 mpg; I got 38 on one tank. I can afford the extra 15 minutes.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Last weekend, Fri, Sat, and Sunday:
From here, almost up to DFW, out to Abilene and back south to San Angelo, then south east to return to the Hou area, reg unleaded was right at $3.38/gal everywhere. It varied less than 2 cents anywhere.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Gas prices vary across the U.S. from <$3.25 to >$3.85 per gallon. See gasbuddy.com for the latest prices.

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Well, the public transport is an utter mess, not to mension under capacitated.

We have some busses here and cabs here, but they stay in the city of Dayton proper. That's about it. I would love to see some kind of distance transportation between the cities like Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus. tHere was a plan in the works, but it got scrapped.

It is fair to say that we live in small area countries, however these are higly populated, resulting in clogged up roads during the entire day. Bicycles are very dutch indeed, and they are a quick way to get around. However, they are commonly only used for commutes under 5 km.

I just looked at the size difference between the Netherlands and Ohio. Netherlands:13,084 Sq miles Ohio: 41,222 sq miles. Now look at the population: Netherlands 16,531,294 ppl, and Ohio? 11,572, 665
Wow, I never realized Ohio was over 3 times bigger, but 5 million less people. Population density indeed! And I thought it was crowded here! I guess Ohio could be a country. We should secede. Yay!

You dont want to come here, not Ohio at least.. I wish I could move, myself. No jobs, price of utilities/groceries is skyrocketing, and no dutch coffee houses. We do have the bicycle capital of the midwest (Xenia) perhaps that would be your cup of tea. Or coffee.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

I've gotten a raise every year for the last 3 years. When oil goes up, my industry booms. I don't pay for my fuel, but it is about $120 to fill my truck now were it used to be less than $100 at the most. I don't think I could bike to and from work, though it is only 15 miles each way, just too time consuming.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

If i put on my tinfoil hat, high prices can be used to control the populations overall growth and movement. When you cant afford to drive, you are more reliant on ( government sponsored ) public transportation, so they can easier select where people will mostly live, work, play and shop.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I've gotten a raise every year for the last 3 years. When oil goes up, my industry booms. I don't pay for my fuel, but it is about $120 to fill my truck now were it used to be less than $100 at the most. I don't think I could bike to and from work, though it is only 15 miles each way, just too time consuming.

We have had our salaries capped for several years now, due to the budget.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Same here, but goes further then that for us as we reduce 'discretionary spending' overall.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Oil prices drop after record Japan quake

– Fri Mar 11, 5:04 pm ET

NEW YORK (AFP) – Crude oil prices slumped Friday after a record earthquake slammed Japan, the world's third-largest economy, raising fears of a shock to the global economic recovery.

Traders eyed lower consumption in Japan, the world's third-largest oil importer and consumer, after a week of worrying about prices jumping due to Middle East instability.

New York's main contract, light sweet crude for April delivery, closed $1.54 lower at $101.16 a barrel. In London, Brent North Sea crude for April settled at $113.84, down $1.59.

Financial markets were shaken after the powerful 8.9-magnitude earthquake -- the seventh biggest in history -- hit Japan Friday, unleashing a tsunami that battered Japan's northeast coast and stretched across the Pacific.

"The demand for oil (in Japan) could be lower, at least temporarily, because of the earthquake," said Commerzbank analyst Carsten Fritsch.

"After China and the US, Japan is the world's third biggest consumer of commodities and is dependent on imports for virtually all commodities."

The temblor automatically shut down operations at Japan's nuclear reactors and the government declared a state of emergency at a nuclear power plant in Fukushima.

"The tragedy in Japan is probably near-term bearish as imports are interrupted and the market sheds risk," analysts at BMO Commodity Products Group said in a client note.

However, they noted, "longer term demand will probably increase if nukes remain offline."

The world's third-largest economy, Japan is heavily dependent on imported oil.

The New York futures contract tumbled below $100 before paring its losses by the market close.

Continued fighting in Libya between the forces loyal to leader Moamer Kadhafi and rebels also weighed on the market.

Loyalist forces launched at least two air strikes near the key oil port of Ras Lanuf.

In Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter, "day of rage" street protests called by Facebook activists failed to materialize.

But scores of protestors were on the streets for a second day in Al-Qateef, a Shiite stronghold in the predominantly Sunni country.

Saudi Arabia has said it is committed to the stability of the oil market and to ensuring that oil supplies remain available amid the Libyan unrest.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
California has the highest gas prices nationwide. Thank you EPA and ethanol lobby.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Oil prices drop after record Japan quake

– Fri Mar 11, 5:04 pm ET

But im sure it will be an excuse to raise gas prices...
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Actually CA has the highest cost of living so you should be paying the most. Chicago is always in the top 3 or 5 for gas prices even though we have a relatively low cost of living compared to other major metro areas.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

I should move there then. The prices over here really are getting absurd.

Unless you're wealthy you'll be buying a house out in the 'burbs, meaning your daily commute will be upwards of 100km/day. There's not a meaningful public transportation network in place in most of this country, so you'll be owning your own vehicle and driving it for every single trip you make anywhere, for the most part. You'll be in your car at least 5 days a week, and more likely 7 days a week because of errands to run on the weekends.

And that's just the cost of moving your butt around. Don't even get started on the essentially non-existent social infrastructure in this country (what little there is is being eroded away daily)...

The grass is always greener...

------------------
Bring back civility and decorum!

It's possible to understand someone's point of view without accepting it. It's possible to disagree with someone without being rude and nasty about it. Sure it's hard, but nothing worth doing is ever easy, is it?

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock