Started on: 03-12-2011 09:26 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: WhiteDevil88 on 03-18-2011 11:12 AM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
http://www.wnd.com/index.ph...E.view&pageId=271521

U.S. public schools: Progressive indoctrination camps

Why should liberals want to change the public educational system when it is turning out the product they have been striving for years to produce?

Check out these real news headlines from the past several weeks and months about the state of U.S. public education across the country:

"U.S. teachers tell U.N. sex is a 'spectrum' – advocate mandatory classes to free students from 'religion'"
"Principal orders Ten Commandments yanked from school lockers"
"Teens ask for more sex ed, greater condom availability"
"State university defines Christians as 'oppressors'"
"Why Catholic schools score better than public schools"
"Teachers take charge to save ailing public schools"
"Schools' mandatory Arabic classes create firestorm"
"District taking money, but censoring Christians?"
"No opting out of pro-gay school propaganda"
"District pays up for slamming student's rosary"
"Judge cites homeschoolers for violating U.N. mandate – Police interrogate parents, confiscate their curriculum"
"Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment"
On Dec. 27, 1820, Thomas Jefferson wrote about his vision for the University of Virginia (chartered in 1819), "This institution will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error as long as reason is left free to combat it."

But what should happen 200 years later when our public schools and universities avoid the testing of truths? Or suppress alternate opinions because they are unpopular or politically incorrect? Or no longer tolerate opinions now considered errors or obsolete by the elite? What happens when sociopolitical agendas or scientific paradigms dominate academic views to the exclusion of a minority even being mentioned?

What happens when the political and public educational pendulum swings from concern for the tyranny of sectarianism in Jefferson's day to secularism in ours? What happens when U.S. public schools become progressive indoctrination camps?

Dr. Jim Nelson Black, founder and senior policy analyst of the Sentinel Research Associates in Washington, D.C., wrote an excellent book, "Freefall of the American University." In it, he documents the clear biases pervading our public academic settings. Among that lopsidedness is the intentional training of students to disdain America, freely experiment sexually, forcefully defend issues like abortion and homosexuality, as well as become cultural advocates for political correctness, relativism, globalization, green agendas and tolerance for all.

One of the primary ways these educative platforms are spread is by recruiting and retaining faculty members who reflect and teach them. For example, citing from the polling firm of Luntz Research, Dr. Black notes that the 57 percent of faculty members represented in our most esteemed universities are Democrats (only 3 percent Republican) and 64 percent identify themselves as liberal (only 6 percent conservative). Moreover, 71 percent of them disagree that "news coverage of political and social issues reflects a liberal bias in the news media." And the No. 1 answer they gave to the question, "Who has been the best president in the past 40 years?" was Bill Clinton (only 4 percent said Ronald Reagan).

This is why it is no surprise that the two largest teachers unions, the NEA and AFT, are the largest campaign contributors in the nation (giving more than the Teamsters, NRA or any other organization), and that 90 percent of their contributions fund Democratic candidates. In doing so, do we think such funding is going to balance traditional and conservative values in public schools?

The impact of progressivism is being experienced by students across this land, hundreds of thousands of whom have already cried out with complaints of academic inequity. A sampling of the hundreds of student grievances from across the academic spectrum can even be found on websites like the Students for Academic Freedom and NoIndoctrination.org.

It is also no surprise that an average of 6,000 students every year is leaving the approximately 94,000 public schools in America. If the power-to-be over our public schools, like government and unions, continue to oppose conservative curricula and impose overarching liberal educational revisions and laws, public schools will continue to experience an exodus.

I fully realize there are some great conservative people on the staffs of many public schools and universities, but I know virtually all of them would concur that a liberal bias in our academic curricula and system is overwhelmingly dominant and ubiquitous.

Is this present, restrictive and one-sided educational environment that which Thomas Jefferson and other founders intended for the future generations of America? Absolutely not! Rather than encourage free thinking, the U.S. academic system has turned Jefferson's plans for open education into our culture's system of indoctrination.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Privatize Education
http://www.americanthinker....atize_education.html

The obnoxious and disruptive conduct of public employee unions shows how bad labor unions in general have been for America. Republicans, if they are wise governors of states and brave political warriors, will defang organized labor by passing right-to-work laws in all six of the states in which Republicans now have the muscle to do so -- Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Maine.

Unions are a huge drag on our economy and a major cause for the flight of good jobs out of our nation. More repulsive is the fact that the teacher-goons in Wisconsin who spew hate in Madison have been entrusted with the education of our children. Is there harm in these creepy folks striking? Actually, there may be more harm in them returning to work.

Is there any alternative to this totalitarian, soul-destroying apparatus of leftist-controlled public education? Sure: privatize education. Create systems of competing and overlapping education by letting out contracts to private vendors to teach our children. Allow these vendors to be as creative and informal as they wish. Education should evolve as technology and society evolves. Create performance criteria for these contracts which focus on how well students do on standardized tests and, just as importantly, how these students improve their test scores. The bugaboo among the anti-vouchers crowd has been the use of vouchers for religious schools. Fine: require that these vendors be as secular as public schools are now.

We have created a gargantuan image of school which includes vast buildings, huge bureaucracies, endless rules, political correctness, genuflections to professional associations -- and all for what? Schools were intended to give our children the core skills necessary to continue learning. That involves little, really: reading comprehension, writing skills, and a general grasp of the basics of science, math, and history. The instillation of moral and social values should be the province of families, faith, and neighborhoods. The sports, social, and recreational activities which schools now provide could come more easily through private organizations.

Is there anything we require of the empire of public schools which could not be done more easily, more cheaply, more quickly, and more cleanly by private vendors in a community? What would happen if we privatized education? Any plan should include several competing vendors in a particular area. Have more than one educational system in a town or community. Let people, by their vouchers, choose which one works best. This may well mean "which one works best for me." This approach would take away the "one size fits all" approach to public education and let students learn where they learn best.

Public schools could remain, but the tax dollars these schools get would have to be dependent upon the schools' actual popularity among students and parents. How would teachers "organize"? They wouldn't! In fact, many of the private vendors might involve a partnership of several experienced educators who together run the school and share the profits of their enterprise. The whole vast, corpulent mass of public school administrators would be thrown into competition for scarce public school resources with the teachers who, right now, have every interest in supporting "more money for education" as a reflexive battle cry.

The entire education system would be compelled to become market-oriented, results-oriented, and focused on an economy of effort. Schools would cease to be the center of social life, to be replaced by churches, synagogues, scout troops, sports clubs, and all of these other natural outlets for young minds and bodies which now must compete with the huge treasury and compulsory attendance of public schools.

The left cannot utter the talismanic word "diversity" often enough to satisfy themselves. Well, this would create a wonderful, true, and balanced flourishing of diversity in the lives of those inmates of schools. Look again at the ugliness, the meanness, the narrowness of those anointed to teach young America. Will there be hope for us when this savaged generation of reeducated drones takes over?

Forget for a just a moment the bankrupting cost of public education. The greatest cost of the public education system is the public education system itself.

I've had both private and public education during my school years. I even went to Catholic school for a few years when I first started school. I can truly say that my best education years were in Catholic and private schools. Public schools seemed more concerned with grinding out the students than making sure everyone was actually learning. I remember the story of one senior the year I graduated High School. He wasn't from my school trankfully, but he was suing his Public High School because he couldn't read and write after he was graduated.

Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I remember the story of one senior the year I graduated High School. He wasn't from my school trankfully, but he was suing his Public High School because he couldn't read and write after he was graduated.

He should have sued his parents, not the school. My Mom taught me basic reading and writing skills before i even started kindergarden. Plus if his family didn't know by the time he was 18 years old that he couldn't read or write, then there are serious problems at home, and his education is probably the least of his problems.

You cant tell me that after going to school for 13 years, in all that time, not knowing how to read and write, not one single teacher he had noticed that he couldn't read or write? After all the homework, quizzes, tests, exams, papers, book reports, state competency tests, ect ect. over all those years, nobody noticed he couldn't read or write? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Don't get me wrong, i know people can live till old age and cant read or write, and manage to get by. I live in the deep south, and i work in a hardware store. I have met plenty of elderly men who cant read or write (asking me to write their checks out for them cause they don't know how.) Or even younger guys who don't know how. The reason they cant read is because they didn't even go to school. Or dropped out as soon as possible. They probably worked on farms growing up, and education was not important to them.

But what your saying is this kid went to school for 13 years and somehow never picked up on how to read and write, and not a single teacher in all that time noticed, or gave a crap enough to help him.. And if nobody noticed, he had 13 years of opportunity to ask for help. Not saying its not true, but it sounds more like a propaganda line to prove a point to me. Unless he had severe learning disability's, in which case i would still find it hard to believe, because public schools just love kids with learning disability's.. That way they can start a "Special Education" program, and get state funding for it.. That doesn't mean the school will use the state funds for the Special Ed, program. My school didn't. I was in special ed when i was a kid (i have aspergers, so reading and writing where a little tough for me at the start).. Any kid at my school who got low reading and writing scores would get dropped into special ed. The more kids in special ed, the more state funding they got.. It wasn't honest, but the schools need to get money somehow. Schools are broke, understaffed, and over populated. And i have found that there are alot more teachers who care than those who don't. Think of what they have to work with. Hell i remember my 6th grade science teacher actually "updated" our science books because they where so old, alot of the information was no longer correct.. So he went through each book and with a pen wrote the updated information in, crossed out bad info, ect.. Thats a dedicated teacher! Don't get me wrong, the majority of public schools totally suck. But i feel also that the majority of teachers do the best they can with what they have.

If that kid really got all the way through high school and never learned to read or write, the only person he has to blame is himself.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 03-12-2011).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It seems this has happened recently too. This isn't an isolated incident and I am sure I would find more if I were to look a bit deeper.
http://www.sott.net/article...letting-him-graduate

Student Sues School Board for letting him graduate
Kanawha County, W.Va. -- Most students are excited to get their high school diploma, but a former student at Sissonville High is suing the Kanawha County School Board for letting him graduate.

Now the state Supreme Court has decided to hear the case. Thomas Sturm's attorney says Sturm shouldn't have graduated because he still reads on a third grade level.

The school board's attorneys say Sturm had an individualized education plan, and neither he nor his parents filed any complaints while he was in school.

"IEPs are developed and formulated and put in place anytime the parent would have cause to believe there's a problem, there's a grievance procedure," Attorney for Kanawha County Board Chuck Bailey said.

The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case this summer.

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
US Public Schools: Progressive Indoctrination Camps (Part 2)
http://patriotupdate.com/ar...ination-camps-part-2

Last week, my main point was that liberals couldn’t care less about changing anything in public schools because they are producing exactly what liberals want. And that biased programming will deepen in the minds and hearts of America’s young people unless we patriots stand up in every community, resist those progressive tides and demand alternatives.

There are ways to improve national academic imbalances. In Part 2 here, I give seven ways to counter that torrent of progressivism. Among the list of correctives that have been proved to work are the following:

1) Vocalize your opinions to local, state and federal representatives that government and unions need to have less of a role in running our children’s education and more of a role in supporting parents’ educational decisions for their children. Children belong to their parents, not to the government or unions. And parents must retain the right to personalize their children’s education as they so wish.

2) Don’t blindly accept a public school’s or university’s education plan based solely upon its name, past reputation or slick marketing. Confront the administration. Ask the hard questions of teachers and professors.

3) If you experience teachers or courses that create an intimidating atmosphere for expressing varied opinions, disparage alternative views, or advance one-sided political or social ideologies, report them to the administration or the school board. And if your concerns aren’t heard, go to the district office. If the district doesn’t listen, then take your complaints to other parents and the online community by posting blogs or sending mass e-mails. If our government isn’t going to hold our academic institutions accountable, then its citizens must.

4) Encourage local schools and colleges to accept Students For Academic Freedom’s “Academic Bill of Rights” and “The Student Bill of Rights,” which are located online.

5) Consider starting a countercultural mission by teaching or assisting in a public school, college or university or even in the U.S. Department of Education. Whether or not you have a child in a public school, you still can be an active and vocal part of your school’s board, PTA or equivalent. Volunteer to assist in any way that could balance the academic current.

6) And what if public schools don’t improve or match the values and beliefs in our homes? Then we must remove our children from public schools and seek private alternatives, chartered schools, Christian schools or home schooling co-ops. Encourage older children to attend a private, conservative or Christian college or university, such as Liberty University or Patrick Henry College on the East Coast and Biola University, Azusa Pacific University, Pepperdine University, Westmont College or Bethany University on the West Coast. As I said last week, if you want to improve U.S. public education, support the competition.

7) Lastly, work to install a Bible curriculum into your public school district. Yes, it’s legal, constitutional and being placed right now in thousands of schools across the country. A brand-new electronic version of the curriculum is available this week. The National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools’ curriculum has been voted into 572 school districts (2,086 high schools) in 38 states, from Alaska and California to Pennsylvania and Florida. Ninety-three percent of school boards that have been approached to date with the curriculum have voted to implement it because the course helps students understand the Bible’s influence and impact on history, literature, our legal and educational systems, art, archaeology and other parts of civilization. In this elective class, students are required to read through their textbook — the Bible.

For a contribution of any size, you will receive a starter package with a step-by-step guide, all legal data necessary to satisfy the questions of school board members, letters from school districts that have implemented it, the table of contents of the Bible curriculum, and other NCBCPS information.

Send to: National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools, 2816-A. Battleground Ave., Box 313, Greensboro, NC 27408. Phone: 1-877-On-Bible or 336-272-3799. Fax: 336-272-7199. Website: http://www.BibleInSchools.net.

Thomas Jefferson was an enthusiastic advocate for public education and believed it was the key to preserving a republican government and society. Yet he was equally an ardent opponent against “any tyranny over the mind of man.” Whether that dominance were sectarianism or secularism, conservatism or liberalism, Jefferson (and, I believe, our other Founders) would oppose and seek to correct today’s disproportions in our nation’s public schools.

If Jefferson supported reform in public education as a prerequisite for a lasting republican nation, would he not expect the same of us today?

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
How would one go about proving that they can't read or write?

I'm curious on that.

Brad
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

How would one go about proving that they can't read or write?

I'm curious on that.

Brad

Standardized testing. It is a science unto itself. But we are talking in this instance of a Special Ed student. Some kids will get left behind.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock