Started on: 03-11-2011 01:38 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: datacop on 03-11-2011 11:02 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
My homeowners insurance has given me 40 days to get a new roof or they are dropping me from their policy. I knew the roof needed to be fixed, I just wasn't planning on a whole re-roof this soon. I have 3 quotes,

Small Co 1 - $8100
Small Co 2 - $7100
Home Depot - $12500

All architectural shingle, about 32 squares, and one skylight replacement. Now, I like that Home Depot has financing available and they're going to be around to guarantee the 10 year warranty. But I'm not sure that justifies the additional $5k. Unfortunately, the home price tapped me out as far as loans are concerned. I could potentially refinance with something like an energy efficient mortgage (EEM) or 203k renovation loan, but this might get tricky....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
If you are just doing tear off of shingles and replacing them, I recommend doing it yourself. It is not hard at all. It just takes some sweat, some knowledge and some of your time. And a roofing nailgun. If you have some rotten spots and need more structural stuff done, maybe call a 'pro'... but I have a roofing job coming next year, and me and a friend are doing it. We even have to tear off the plywood and dopuble-up the joists and studs.. when they built this place, they did not use the best materials and I am getting solar panels on the southern slope, and i want it as sturdy as possible. Probably save 5-6k doing it on my own. And then I owe my friend the favor in return when he does his.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Ignoring the roof for a second.

If it needs fixed, fix it, but... If it can last a few more months so you can shop around a bit more, wouldn't it be less expensive to just get another companies insurance?

Brad
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by tbone42:

If you are just doing tear off of shingles and replacing them, I recommend doing it yourself. It is not hard at all. It just takes some sweat, some knowledge and some of your time. And a roofing nailgun. If you have some rotten spots and need more structural stuff done, maybe call a 'pro'... but I have a roofing job coming next year, and me and a friend are doing it. We even have to tear off the plywood and dopuble-up the joists and studs.. when they built this place, they did not use the best materials and I am getting solar panels on the southern slope, and i want it as sturdy as possible. Probably save 5-6k doing it on my own. And then I owe my friend the favor in return when he does his.

That's another great option.

I helped do Gordon's roof (the other fat guy), and I had never done it before. It wasn't terrible, only took us a few days, and still looks great.

I am 100% confident I could do ours, (and I will) on my own if I had to, it would be harder, but it's pretty simple to line up the shingles, and nail em down. Watch your patterns, and it'll lay itself.

If you need help I'm sure there are people that you know that would volunteer for a week in Florida or something.

Brad
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I had to go find a photo of your house...

Redo it yourself. Your pitch is shallow. Do the strip down and tear off yourself (a flat nose shovel works fantastic for this, for the record)...

You could easily have your roof done with a friend in three days. One for tear down, one for reshingling, and one for cap/finish work.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I paid someone about $4K for similar shingles over an existing layer (except for one area where they took off a layer). Shop around... prices varied when I looked. I figured it was about $2-3K for materials, so another $2K for labor, well worth it since I didn't have the time and I have a very tricky area were two roof lines came together and it leaked in the past. The roofers were in and out in 2 days and no mess to clean up (or dumpster to rent). Plus they warranty the work. Sure, you can do it yourself, but determine how much you are really saving when comparing just labor, it may not be worth the the time.

Shingles, nails, felt and ice dam material, safety equipment (or knee cushions), dumpster, pot or ridge vents, drip edge. You may find that you are only saving $1K or so.

Can your old shingles be left on? Mine were good, but the gravel coating was wearing off.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

wouldn't it be less expensive to just get another companies insurance?

Short term, yes. I knew the roof needed to be replaced however. It'll add equity and resale value which is always good. I think shopping for insurance given that the roof leaks puts me in the "high risk" category though, which probably means double my current $100/mo policy.

I considered doing it myself, but I just replaced the skylight myself, and because it has 2 layers of existing shingles, I can guarantee it's going to be a PITA. The 2 days that I was up there, I charred and was all kinds of achy afterwards. And that was just replacing a skylight and one pack of shingles. I honestly can't imagine doing the whole roof myself.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 03-11-2011).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
if i could do mine over again i would do ridge vents
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

if i could do mine over again i would do ridge vents

I am not sure about your roof, but you can add ridge vents after and for the pot vents, leave them in place, just plug them or remove and reshingle.

All they have to do is remove the ridge cap, cut the decking away and install ridge vent and cap. No need to touch the other shingles.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Me and the wife have done two, and another is not in the picture.
I bought seconds, cosmetic defect only, saved a ton.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Florida? I am more than willing to bet that there are some friends that are out of work that can be pulled together for a weekend to tackle a job such as this. I have done hundreds of roofs, and it really looks like you have an easy one. Pricing? Well, I cannot comment about your area, but Home Depot seems a little high. Just my honest opinion. For the price of several good meals, some drinks, the tools involved, and a few bucks for the crew, you can easily knock off several grand from the lowest price.

Home Depot uses contractors. They do not have their own dedicated installation team. You could very easily be getting a quote from one company to do the work, and Home Depot is contracting that company out to do the same work. For the several grand difference, try out another company if doing the work yourself is out of the question. (It is laborious.) As always when hiring contractors, seek out references. That is your best bet for quality work. It doesn't have to be the guy with the biggest, baddest equiptment. The Mom and Pop guy is often your most skilled. Definately stay away from drunks and high ons. Roofers are synonomous with issues such as those. Not all, but a pretty high percentage.

Good luck,

Tony.

(Too bad that I cannot get all of my equiptment on a plane. I can undercut that price. )
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
On that note, if anyone has any recommendations or referrals, I'm all ears.

I may end up doing the tear off myself, but I don't think I'm going to be saving much more than $800.....
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
The higher price is due to the double layer of shingles and the complexity of the roof. What ever you do don't wait till it starts raining, take it from someone that has had roof trouble in the past. I tore off my own roof and its a sobering thing to see not only your shingles gone but half of the plywood. It took me a lot longer than I expected to get the roof put back on.

Ask for help, 1 guy that knows what hes doing and 3 more that can follow directions could probably knock out your house in 2 days. There is an issue with pulling permits as well, because your insurance company is involved you need to make sure any work done will be ok with your policy.

If you do decide to do it yourself then you need to get some compressors and nail guns, with the right tools you can really cut down on the time it takes. I put my roof on with a hammer and pouch of nails, never again. Its not a job to jump into but it isn't one that you couldn't take on.

Have you been up in your attic? do you have any leaks or have you seen any rot? If its just shingles it wont be so bad, if you run into rot that has to be removed you can bet the price will go up.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Roofing isant all that hard to do. Its all about measuring and cutting of the shingles.. Its been years since I'v done it if you get it done/do it yourself make sure you get a good underlayment to it. They used to sell a type of Tar mat that does a Very good job.

And seeing the pics of your house that would be somthing me and my old crew could have done in 2 days. BUT... If you do it yourself just remember shingle and underlayment cleanup is a real ***** .

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-11-2011).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Call about a dumpster rental for shingle and any other materials you may have to remove. Remember to tell them that you are putting shingles in it, because that is considered hazardous waste. Figure out your square footage you will need and get estimates on how much a good 25 or 30 year shingle will cost. And tar paper, under layment.

I bet you can cut that lowest estimate in half if you and some friends who can follow directions do it. Just don’t forget to get a couple of tarps to cover the bare roof in case of a rainstorm.

Food and drinks, non alcoholic until the job is done. Then a keg for a job well done to celebrate getting it done.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-11-2011).]

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

On that note, if anyone has any recommendations or referrals, I'm all ears.

I may end up doing the tear off myself, but I don't think I'm going to be saving much more than $800.....

So do you have the 'Florida Fiero Club Kegger' at your house organized yet?
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
When I built my house in 1992, the roofer put down 80 bundles of shingles for $300 labor. I sure missed that guy last year when I had the metal roof installed.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your ins co wants a new roof up there----well in advance of hurricane season. (Those blue poly FEMA tarps look so tacky too)
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
I did my roof last year..

Actually, no.. I hired a local Mexican to do my roof... for the cost of materials.. over the weekend he brought his dad, brother and 2 boys.. in 2 days they did a complete tear down, re-shingle and cap. I'm *VERY* pleased with the job they did. Came in.. worked on time, worked hard.. worked till it was done.. and left.

$800 labor. Worth every friggin penny!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock