Started on: 03-11-2011 01:59 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Gall757 on 03-13-2011 07:58 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
8.9 Earthquake in Japan

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Oh man.

I don't have "normal" news here.

Keep us updated.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 03-11-2011).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
IRIS reporting the quake as a 7.9. What gives?
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Oh man, that ain't good. =[
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Many after shocks. Warnings issued for Hawaii , possible tsunami.

Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
For Hawaii, the tsunami Watch was upgraded to Warning about 30 mins ago. CD sirens have just gone off. Good thing I got gas on the way home, there must be 100 cars in line at the local 76. We're only about 250' from the shore, so we're going through the preps again...ugh. Mera and Vette safe in the garage, but dang, the 88GT needs to stay on the driveway. Later fellas!
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero-in-Paradise:

For Hawaii, the tsunami Watch was upgraded to Warning about 30 mins ago. CD sirens have just gone off. Good thing I got gas on the way home, there must be 100 cars in line at the local 76. We're only about 250' from the shore, so we're going through the preps again...ugh. Mera and Vette safe in the garage, but dang, the 88GT needs to stay on the driveway. Later fellas!

SAVE THE GT .
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
If you are going to have possible quakes wouldn't it be good to get everything outside away from stuff that could fall on it?
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Been watching it unfold on Sky News. terrible to see the damage being done, and that is lamentable to say the least.
Watching for oil price hike, Insurance premiums will undoubtedly reflect the disaster worldwide. It might be limited physically to the Pacific, but the tsunami in the Commercial World will probably be equally as destructive.
I wish all in the area safety and good luck. Hopefully this will be just the one earthquake to hit. Fingers crossed.
nick
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Oh man... they are predicting 6 foot waves to hit Hawaii in less than an hour!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Some things I heard on a radio report.

A nuke power plant in Japan lost its cooling system, and is on fire. Woa

The Tsunami that is still travelling is only approx 6 ft tall, but traveling at approx 500 mph.
PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Re: the nuke plant.. They are currently reporting no radiation leakage.
They had problem with their electrical systems, then reported smoke coming from the building housing reactor #1.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Some things I heard on a radio report.

A nuke power plant in Japan lost its cooling system, and is on fire. Woa

The Tsunami that is still travelling is only approx 6 ft tall, but traveling at approx 500 mph.

Haven't seen any news this morning, but tsunamis in deep water aren't very high, but as soon as the wave hits a shallow shelf off a continent or island, they grow in height quickly and immensly, as the volume of water is forced into an ever decreasing area. Some spreads out, but much of it will "rise up".
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
5th largest since records started in 1900.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "crazy moon"
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Some parts of the west coast of the US are closing beaches/coastal areas as a precaution.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

5th largest since records started in 1900.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "crazy moon"

8.9, and is the 7th largest.
What makes this one a bit strange compared to the 6 that were larger, it is the only one that didn't happen in an election year.
All quakes that are 9.0+ are reserved for election years when the most lies are being told.
Wonder if I could get a grant to study that theory?

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 03-11-2011).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Re: the nuke plant.. They are currently reporting no radiation leakage.
They had problem with their electrical systems, then reported smoke coming from the building housing reactor #1.

Looks like 2 separate plants had issues of some kind. They are reporting "no leaks or danger of a leak". I hope they gave the option of leaving home to the folks this says were warned to stay home.

"...The evacuation advisory was issued for people living within a 3-kilometer radius of the plant. Those living in the area with a radius of from 3km to 10km were warned to stay home, according to government spokesperson Yukio Edano said. Edano noted that the evacuation was simply precautionary. ""The emergency shutdown has been conducted but the process of cooling down the reaction is currently not going as planned."
One of the reactors at the power plant cannot be cooled, but no radiation has leaked from the reactor or currently is in danger of leaking. The incident poses no immediate danger. Despite this, Prime Minister Naoto Kan declared an emergency so that authorities can easily, if necessary, implement emergency relief measures. The Mainichi Daily News said 3,000 people were to be evacuated.
Fire also broke out at a different nuclear facility in the wake of the Japan earthquake. That one was the Onagawa plant, but crews were able to extinguish the fire. No further details on damage from the fire were made available."
http://www.huliq.com/3257/j...tor-cannot-be-cooled

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

How are things with our Hawaii residing PFFers? Just a little water, or a prob?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-11-2011).]

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
The death count is going to be high. There are as many people in Tokyo as all of California.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

The death count is going to be high. There are as many people in Tokyo as all of California.

Not really.12 million Tokyites vs 36 million Californians. I do hope that you are wrong about the death toll as well, but I fear you will be shown to be correct.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Not really.12 million Tokyites vs 36 million Californians. I do hope that you are wrong about the death toll as well, but I fear you will be shown to be correct.

The metropolitan area has 35-38 million people. The quake doesn't stop at the city limit.
PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Right now they are saying the death toll is expected to be in the hundreds, not thousands. This surprised the heck out of me considering the massive damage. CBC is also doing an imminent interview with my friend Erica in Vancouver. They have a tsunami about to hit them in 15 minutes, and despite sirens and people being ordered to evacuate the coastal area, she says more and more people are gathering on the beaches to watch for the wave.

Not the smartest folk out there, it would seem.

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 03-11-2011).]

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Best quote I have heard on the news so far, "these [tsunami] waves are coming in waves."
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
We dodged another bullet here in Hawaii! A lot of folks will call this another waste of time to prep, but it was a good, if not the best drill for our family to pull together and get ready. It was madness at first, everyone jamming the gas stations, markets, etc., and then...ghost town. Really wierd...

LOL...the 88GT lives on to drive another day!

Later!
Tom
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

President is currently offering help. I'll just type out things that caught my ear.

"Working to account for all Military personnel in Japan."

"FEMA is fully activated."

"If you are told to evacuate, do as you are told."

Ooooh, Price of Gas.

"Rising prices are not a new phenomenon."

"Prices increase as our economy gets better."

"We are monitoring for price gouging."

"Today we use 7% less oil than 2005."

"We need to boost production of domestic oil and gas."

"We have put in place common sense standards for offshore drilling."

"Encourage companies to develop leases they hold."

"Explore new frontiers in oil development"

"Something about working with foreign nations for oil." what was that? I missed it.

Now the Q and A session is talking about Libya.

Japan isn't a big deal yet I guess.

Brad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

We dodged another bullet here in Hawaii! A lot of folks will call this another waste of time to prep, but it was a good, if not the best drill for our family to pull together and get ready. It was madness at first, everyone jamming the gas stations, markets, etc., and then...ghost town. Really wierd...

LOL...the 88GT lives on to drive another day!

Later!
Tom

Good to hear!

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Almost 400 aftershocks. Incredible.

(Note : I didn't realize the photo's are being updated automatically by the web site,
this looks like it's a repost of an earlier photo I posted on the 11th.)

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-13-2011).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
I'm really lost for words as this story continues unfold before our eyes on TV, and I fear the worst is yet to come.

I spent quite a bit of time in Japan between Yokohama and Sendai during 1970-71, met some of the nicest people on the planet in the northern towns. Needless to say it broke my heart to see towns wiped completely out, surely the dead toll numbers will take many weeks before the full impact is realized. I can't imagine the despair going through the Survivors minds as they seek to find family members, relatives, and friends.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Lets see if I am smart enough to get this posted.....this is not normal US news pablum.

http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/c...a6cfa5eeaecd6dc12abf

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock