Started on: 03-10-2011 11:40 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: ryan.hess on 03-11-2011 07:43 PM
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Okay...so I've got a long trip to take tomorrow, so I changed the oil in the wife's '94 Grand Prix with the 3100 V6. Got it all changed, pulled out the dipstick and wiped the oil off...put it back, then pulled it again to check the level. Right on the full mark...great! Went to put the dipstick back in, and just as it gets to where it's fully inserted in the dipstick tube, the handle breaks off. FML. I can see the bottom portion of the handle down in the dipstick tube....but so far, haven't been able to pull it out. I don't think it will drop down any further, but if it does, does anyone know if it's going to contact anything other than the bottom of the oil pan? Any ideas on how to remove it? I thought about taking a self tapping screw and slowly trying to drive it into the plastic left on the end of the dipstick, then pull it out...but I don't want to get any shavings down the tube. It's too late for me to do anything more about it tonight, but I thought about trying to use vacuum to pull it out. I've got to leave in the morning...no way to take it to someone and have them pull it out. Any ideas, or comments on whether or not I've got anything to worry about until I finally DO figure out how to get it out are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:
Thanks!

Usually the tubes only have one bolt that attaches them. Remove the bolt. pull the tube out, then you will be able to remove the stick.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Short of pulling the tube, I'd suggest a pair of long nose hemostats The locking kind that you can clamp on tight. Use em to get down in the tube and pull the stick out that way, then replace with new stick

Good luck Mike
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I had a small pair of needlenose pliers, Brian, and they'd reach the remainder of the handle, but it broke off squarely, so there's nothing to grab ahold of.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
heat a small nail until red hot and then poke it into the end of the plastic. Let it cool and try pulling it out.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I had the exact same thing happen to me.

I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole and screwed a sheet metal screw in and pulled it out. Keep the drill speed fast and the pressure low.

BTW, the handle is known to get brittle with age. I think they changed the plastic on the new dipsticks.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 03-11-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock