Started on: 03-10-2011 09:57 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: wikid_one on 03-11-2011 06:58 AM
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3) two weeks ago. Everything was running fine until Tuesday morning when I woke up and couldn't get to my email. I noticed the icon in the taskbar saying it was disconnected from the network. First thing I tried was rebooting the router... no change. I decided to take a look at the system thinking maybe my IP reset or something strange (I use a static IP since I have SSH access and a web server). Everything was right, and even tried DHCP just to be sure... still nothing. I decided to restart the computer.

After restarting the computer I saw it (the icon in the taskbar) start to connect, then immediately disconnect, then connect, then immediately disconnect, and so on as shown below:

I thought I might have a bad cable, so I switched cables. Same problem. I was looking online and someone mentioned a bad router port, so I switched ports on the router. Same problem. I plugged the connection into both my laptops and it worked as expected.

I'm stumped. I have no idea what to try next. I have a feeling my ethernet is broken on the mobo... or am I missing something?

SYSTEM SPECS:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955
8GB DDR3-1333
MSI GeForce GTX 460 1GB

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
I have that same motherboard and the only thing that has worried me so far is I keep reading horror stories of the built in ethernet port dying quickly. I'm 3 weeks in with mine and so far no problems. The only solution is to just get a network card. Apparently the built in **** is faulty by nature I guess.
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
Well, I was screwing around with the device settings and was able to get it to connect. Unfortunately I have to set it to 10Mb Half Duplex in order for it to connect. 10Mb Full duplex cause the problem shown above as well as 100Mb Full/Half Duplex and Gigabit.

At least I have access back on the computer, albeit horribly slow access.
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Ewwww. Looks like you're gonna be shopping for a new NIC card anyway eh? lol
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

N3M3S1S

3865 posts
Member since Dec 2007
I do have to say though, so far a kickass board. Overclocks easy and unlocked my proc's 2 extra cores in a breeze. I like it. You can't beat the price either.
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I keep reading horror stories of the built in ethernet port dying quickly.

Overclocks easy and unlocked my proc's 2 extra cores ...

Do you think there might be a connection?

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-10-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wikid_one:

Well, I was screwing around with the device settings and was able to get it to connect. Unfortunately I have to set it to 10Mb Half Duplex in order for it to connect. 10Mb Full duplex cause the problem shown above as well as 100Mb Full/Half Duplex and Gigabit.

At least I have access back on the computer, albeit horribly slow access.

How fast is your internet connection? My cable modem only uses a 10Mb connection because the internet speed is less than that.
I can only get higher connection speeds between PCs on my LAN.

What happens when you set it to Auto/Auto?
Is Power management on the NIC enabled? If so, disable it.

Or, just pick up a Killer NIC and be done with it.

I keep reading horror stories of the built in ethernet port dying quickly.

Overclocks easy and unlocked my proc's 2 extra cores ...

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

This could be an issue. I'd set everything back to factory default settings while troubleshooting to rule out any anomalies you might have caused with overclocking. That's assuming the OC'ing didn't damage anything. Even though it's unlikely, it's always a possibility when you run the hardware outside it's design parameters.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 03-10-2011).]

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

This could be an issue. I'd set everything back to factory default settings while troubleshooting to rule out any anomalies you might have caused with overclocking. That's assuming the OC'ing didn't damage anything. Even though it's unlikely, it's always a possibility when you run the hardware outside it's design parameters.

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

It's the risk I take for cranking out a few extra "ponies" from my rig. I'm alright with the risk. My old setup (a 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo e6300) is overclocked at 3.2ghz and stayed that way for 3 years(and is now pulling Ubuntu box duty) without so much as a hiccup or failed overclock on startup. I'm alright with it.

Besides, I didn't say my ethernet port was blown. Not yet at least, knock on wood.
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
I don't have anything overclocked. Everything on my system is factory default.

Auto is \what it was originally set at when the issue started, so that doesn't work either.

Dunno about power management. I'll have to look when I get back home from work.

Our internet is 50Mb, so although not necessary, it is definitely nice to use it to full potential.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock