Started on: 03-09-2011 10:56 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 03-10-2011 08:12 AM
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
For 75 bucks(shipped), can't be THAT terrible, right?

There are tons of these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4-4...&hash=item519833b605

I'm interested in perhaps learning how to play, and this seems like a nice way to try...

I don't expect it to be fantastic, and I don't expect myself to become very good, but I enjoy playin' the Bass, and piano, and other instruments...

Your opinion on this instrument?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

For 75 bucks(shipped), can't be THAT terrible, right?

There are tons of these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4-4...&hash=item519833b605

I'm interested in perhaps learning how to play, and this seems like a nice way to try...

I don't expect it to be fantastic, and I don't expect myself to become very good, but I enjoy playin' the Bass, and piano, and other instruments...

Your opinion on this instrument?

I've been playing violin since I was about 6-7 years old, and still play today at Christmas time, and whenever I feel like it really.

As far as the electric violins go, I have one, and I think it's cool. Understand of course that it IS different than a normal violin. Most of the violin's sound and intonation comes from the reverberation inside the violin's hollow shell. Normal electric violins make use of pickups, and lack any of the real "warmth" that you get from a quality violin.

That said, if you're just learning, it's hardly something you'll either care about, or really even think about.

The electric violin in that auction is actually the same exact one that I have. There are only TWO problems with it:

1 - The bow is very, VERY cheap. Even as a beginner, you'll really, really want a quality bow. I'd recommend that if you did really want to learn, you consider spending perhaps at least $30 dollars on a bow seperately (which is about the least you'd expect to pay for an average quality bow). People who play in orchestras spend around $200 a bow... but you'll do fine with a $30 something bow. The difference in the bow has to do with how it holds the tension, how it was assembled, and whether or not it has crappy nylon hairs / horse hair / expensive synthetic. It all hinges on how well the bow can retain it's tension, and how well it picks up the rosin (which you'll also need to buy). Without good rosin retention, you'll never be able to get any sound out of the violin and it will sound just horrible.

2 - The pegs are extremely cheap, and the violin will not stay in tune. This is also a big problem with this violin. You can upgrade the pegs to ones which are made of ebony, and have screws on the end. When the pegs do not retain their tension, they will immediately go out of tune as you play the violin. As a comparison, I have a pretty decent violin that was made in Czechoslovakia about ~80 years ago. The difference is that I can tune that violin, put it away, and take it out 6 months later and it's still in tune. The electric violin that I have only stays in tune for 5 minutes, and just handling it will make it go out of tune. So if you want to get it, you'll also want to get a peg kit like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Violin-...&hash=item4cf27183ba which is about $20 bucks.

When you have a good bow, and decent pegs, then you'll actually ENJOY playing the violin. Without either of those two items, you're going to be unhappy because the violin is going to feel very cheap, and it will constantly be out of tune and you'll end up spending more time focusing on that, rather than learning to play.

I also recommend these other items that will improve your experience on the violin:

Chin Rest - I'm not finding what I like. I have one that slips over the chin rest and tucks underneath. Very minimal, and makes it softer on your shoulder. When you're first learning to play, you'll get sores under your left side of your jaw, and on top of your left collar bone (everyone plays it on their left, regardless of whether or not you're a lefty or righty) Here's what MOST people get:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mach-On...&hash=item2c5af331a3 but I don't see what I have... which I totally prefer. This is the closest thing I can find to what I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE...&hash=item5adf6dec6b

Strings - Universally accepated as the best strings in the world for all violinists, the "Dominant" brand are hands-down... the best. You'd be amazed at the difference in sound. Here's a quality set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dominan...&hash=item2c5ae2bc52

As you can see, it all adds up. But even as a BEGINNER... you'll want to make sure you have a good set of pegs, and a good bow... otherwise you'll not enjoy it at all.

I'd also recommend getting the "Suzuki Method" books as those should help. They are universally known as the books that every kid learns to play violin with.

As a general rule too... a newer violin is not always better. If you look on eBay, you'll find quite a few really cheap, older violins that will be vastly superior to most of the new ones you find today that are made in China.

The violins made in West Germany (from the mid-50s to the mid 80s) are considered to be exceptional as well, and they can usually be purchased for around $100 bucks on eBay.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I've been playing violin since I was about 6-7 years old, and still play today at Christmas time, and whenever I feel like it really.

I'm going to spend quite a few minutes of my time and share information with you

Wow, thanks for that information - I REALLY REALLY appreciate it!!!!!

I have watched some YouTube stuff related to this, and I see what you are saying about the quality of the bow, and the rosin.

The reason why I'd like to get an electric one---> It's QUIET. I'd like to learn during my lunch time, and I can close my office door and NOT disturb anyone.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply as you did.

-Rumor

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Wow, thanks for that information - I REALLY REALLY appreciate it!!!!!

I have watched some YouTube stuff related to this, and I see what you are saying about the quality of the bow, and the rosin.

The reason why I'd like to get an electric one---> It's QUIET. I'd like to learn during my lunch time, and I can close my office door and NOT disturb anyone.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply as you did.

-Rumor

No problem, but as I said, you'll want to get new pegs... because the ones that come with that electric violin are horrible, and you'll never be able to keep it in tune which will make you miserable. It's very easy to replace.

------------------
Todd,

Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Jean-Luc Ponty

You beat me to it!
Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post
A good friend showing her talent with an electric violin.

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
As with anything, its especialy true with insturments..you get what you pay for.

Many of these chinese violins and chellos only have a headphone size jack and NOT a 1/4" or balanced output.

That being said, I have heard some through a guitar effects processor that sound fuggin bad ass.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

As far as the electric violins go...

First post of yours in a long long time that I haven't wanted to throw in the compost heap. Great info.

Why don't you refrain from your tiresome political comments and just concentrate on being helpful like this instead.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36251 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

I have heard some through a guitar effects processor that sound fuggin bad ass.

Although my girlfriend was classically trained on violin years ago, and also enjoys playing "fiddle" music, I bought her an electric violin just for the purpose of being able to "process" the sound. It's quite magical.

Here's a band and a song that most of you will have never heard of. Sit down, crank up the speakers, close your eyes, and go for a ride...

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

That being said, I have heard some through a guitar effects processor that sound fuggin bad ass.

I saw a group at the Madrid Jazz Festival a couple years ago that had a girl playing electric violin through GuitarRig effects software (I asked the sound tech what she was using) and a Marshall stack. I've never heard anything like that before!

I'll look though my archives and see if I can track down the name of the group.
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Although my girlfriend was classically trained on violin years ago, and also enjoys playing "fiddle" music, I bought her an electric violin just for the purpose of being able to "process" the sound. It's quite magical.

Here's a band and a song that most of you will have never heard of. Sit down, crank up the speakers, close your eyes, and go for a ride...

Nice, good tune. I'm reminded of Rush when listening to it. Good stuff.

I think its the sweet bass line in each song, I'm a fan!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Buy a Viper! http://www.markwoodmusic.com/index2.html

For a beginner, and for the price, you can't go wrong. (I'm talking about the violin you are looking at, not the Viper) If you don't like it, then you're not out much cash. Just remember, if you want to get good, and want to progress, you will not do it with a $75 violin. Electric or otherwise.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-09-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
WOW, you know about FM? That's a GREAT album. Surveillance is pretty good, too. The direct-to-disc is also good. The rest of their later albums, unfortunately, are crap, but those other 3 are good stuff.

I saw them play (with a newcomer on violin) at NEARfest a few years ago.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27075 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Rumor, do you ever use yousendit? I'd like to send you a couple of albums in mp3 format.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Nice, good tune. I'm reminded of Rush when listening to it. Good stuff.

I think its the sweet bass line in each song, I'm a fan!

You know, that's pretty interesting that you've stated that!

Were you aware that Rush and FM are both Canadian "progressive rock" bands and that each date back to the 70's?

Not only that, but FM was actually the opening act during one of Rush's tours years ago.

So yeah, there certainly could've been some musical cross-pollination going on between these two bands.

You've got good taste in music.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36251 posts
Member since Apr 99

WOW, you know about FM? That's a GREAT album.

I've known about them for more than 30 years! We've got some great bands up here in the frozen north.

Bear, glad to hear you like FM. If it wasn't for your wacky political views and cheering for the Sharks, I think we'd get along.

What the heck, let's totally derail this thread. This is probably the best known song by FM. A true classic.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-09-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

I've known about them for 30 years! We've got some great bands up here in the frozen north.

Bear, glad to hear you like FM.

I was an FM fan back when the albums came out. I love that band. I got to say hi to Martin Deller (drums) at NEARfest. I wanted to do an interview for a prog mag, but didn't get around to it. I wasn't that involved in the "scene" any more.

If it wasn't for your wacky political views and cheering for the Sharks, I think we'd get along.

Yeah, I doubt we'll ever bridge that gulf. What, you gonna tell me you're a liberal AND you follow the Vancouver Theysucks?

What the heck, let's totally derail this thread. This is probably the best know song by FM. A true classic.

Oh, HELL yeah.

I want to send Rumor a copy of that album.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Oh, HELL yeah.

I want to send Rumor a copy of that album.

Hey, that's the least that should be done to make up for taking over his thread.

Musical taste is rather subjective, but yeah, I've got a feeling that Rumor would dig it. Lots of layers to this music. Great arrangements.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-09-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
OK, you two hug now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

No way, Bear pulls for the wrong hockey team. There are some differences that just cannot be overcome.
PFF
System Bot
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by brandon87gt (edited 03-09-2011).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Rumor, do you ever use yousendit? I'd like to send you a couple of albums in mp3 format.

I'll set things up tomorrow. so tired. so very tired...
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

No way, Bear pulls for the wrong hockey team. There are some differences that just cannot be overcome.

Especially if one of us is Canadian and the subject is hockey.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
jean luc ponthy plays an electric violin called a zether, spelling my be off. it is a 5 string. i own his first 5 albums and use to play his songs by ear. i had a 5 string violin made for me from a company in germany. extra string on the bottom end. verry hard to play because the neck is not any wider and i have short and fat fingers.i love jaz fusion, jean luc is smoking hot.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
It's funny watching those girls "thrash" on the violin. Having only used mine to play stuff like the Brandenburg Concerto suite in D minor, or random Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, etc... it's just kind of awkward to see... hahah.

It is pretty hot, but it's just totally not what you expect. Although... in orchestra, all the hot girls were in that class. I guess their fathers felt it would make the cheerleaders more well-rounded by having them play the violin.

I know this is dorky, but I can play all the Ultima computer game songs on the violin too... yeah...

------------------
Todd,

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors