Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  It this wrong, or a legitimate way to save money? Arby's related.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

It this wrong, or a legitimate way to save money? Arby's related. by 1988holleyformula
Started on: 03-08-2011 11:18 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Isolde on 03-09-2011 06:28 PM
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
So last year in college, near the end of the semester I was running pretty low on funds. So I started looking for cheap food.

Not sure how many of you have been to Arby's lately, or how much you pay attention to the receipt, but I do.
They have a promotion where you take either a phone or online phone survey for a free sandwich. (Regular Roast Beef or Beef 'n Cheddar, you choose!)
The receipt says its only good once per month, and the website will remember your IP for a month as well and not let you take the survey again.

Now the part that makes me uneasy, the code they give is only four digits long, and the cashiers never even bother to check them (if they even ask for them!)
So my roommate and I would go to Arby's buy a soda, get a receipt, right down a code, and then get a free sandwich.

So I know its not exactly legitimate, but would you condemn me for getting a free sandwich every once in awhile?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Yes. You're a bad person, and indicative of all that's wrong with America today, and your behavior will singlehandedly bring down Western civilization.

Now go sit in a corner for five minutes and think about what you've done, young man.

Other than that, good thinking. I like sandwiches!
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Really? Another "Trend Thread"? I guess if they don't catch on then rock out with it. The economy sucks, so everyone's looking for ways to maximize their dollar.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
At first I said, NO, THAT'S STEALING!! and I'm right (I always am).

But then I re-read your post, they said they go by ip.

I am not sure I would feel comfortable doing it, but what if a person used a proxy server to fill out the survey?

I see people doing it all the time to win free stuff, and get bonus's on websites.

How is it different for a sandwich.

So I have to say that it is wrong, but it depends on the wording on the receipt.

And your conscience.

Brad

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Really? Another "Trend Thread"? I guess if they don't catch on then rock out with it. The economy sucks, so everyone's looking for ways to maximize their dollar.

I'd been meaning to share my little Arby's secret with the forum for awhile now, when I saw Brad's thread title, I was jealous and wanted it for my own!
As for my conscience, it isn't as strong as my hunger at times The worst part is how easy it is to do, I mean one day, we went to the same Arby's, same cashier, 3 times in one day! Though I did feel a little bad about it, but I am always super polite and grateful to the folks that work there, and I try to brighten up their day as much as they are for me

btw, someone once told me that Arby's stands for 'America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir!' and they used to have an ad that would sing along to that.
You know the tune "do-do, do-do-do, DO-DO!"
"A-merica's Roast Beef, Yes sir!"

Anybody know what tune I'm trying to say? Or if there's any truth in that?
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
First - Arby's is no way to find cheap food. I eat there two to three times a week and use that coupon on the back of receipt at least once a week and see no problem getting a free sandwich with my 9.00 combo with jalapeno poppers.

HOWEVER if you buy a dollar drink just to get a free sandwich, then use the receipt for that to do the same thing, then it's wrong. (If it's more than once a month).
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, technically it's stealing...

But... just remember it when you're older and then make up for it by helping some other poor SOB out so they don't have to.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
You are stealing. You know you are otherwise you wouldn't ask.

I'm disappointed to see so-called conservatives make excuses for you.

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 03-09-2011).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
It is not about conservative or liberal thinking... as this is a private company offering a promotion, without putting it standard checks. Now if they use tax payer money, I would be upset.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I'm disappointed to see so-called conservatives make excuses for you.

Dude, you're going to make JazzMan angry...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Dude, you're going to make JazzMan angry...

Heh, y'all made me happy!

Why?

Because y'all were civil! By being civil, y'all helped contribute in a small way toward maintaining our civilization.

This reminds me, I haven't eaten at Arby's in a while so I need to dig up a coupon and go get a sandwich...
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
stickin' it to the man! GJ!

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

So I know its not exactly legitimate,

I was just thinkin' most folks know right from wrong and I thought you would be one of those folks. I'd bet Bernie Madoff did too.

Watch it folks. We have another Bernie in the making

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I'm not going to lie Arby's is like crack. there food is so good its addicting.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
I will go another route. You are building up a Karma debt by your theft. It is something you may feel you have to do but, the grocery store has deals on loafs of bread, and the cheap peanut butter and jellies will make a lot of sandwiches. If you could even do it less, I think it would be better.

I had 2 car radios and a well stocked tool box stolen(3 separate incidents), it was inconvenient. Everyone was surprised at how well I took it, I was glad to get it over, a couple years before I figured out it was coming. I think I am very close to being in balance now. Take no more than you are willing to give.

Please do not take this as "if you get ripped off, it is your fault". You just might get paid back on the other side of the equation.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I liked all the answers.
Espeically the pay it forward & the karma ones.

For the answer, most here have said there IS no grey area.
It's stealing.

W.W.J.D. (I'm pretty sure he would double-up with a side of curly fries!)
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Don't ever look at one of their "roasts" before it's cooked. It will ruin it for you for life.
It looks like a big loaf of Spam with Alpo chunks in it.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I liked all the answers.
Espeically the pay it forward & the karma ones.

For the answer, most here have said there IS no grey area.
It's stealing.

W.W.J.D. (I'm pretty sure he would double-up with a side of curly fries!)

"Pay it forward" means that in return for a good deed someone did for you, you do a good deed for someone else rather than the person who extended the kindness to you.
I'm pretty sure theft doesn't count as a good deed.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I think its the Horsey Sauce.

I also think it is up to the company offering the promotion to build a secure system. To take care of your guilt, just tell the cashier what you are doing and recommend that Arbys fix the loophole......and eat your sandwich.

there.....done.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-09-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

"Pay it forward" means that in return for a good deed someone did for you, you do a good deed for someone else rather than the person who extended the kindness to you.
I'm pretty sure theft doesn't count as a good deed.

Which is why I said I liked it.
Paying it forward backward.

Just pointing out the way people look at one thing one way, but another.................another.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Point taken.

That's why I like walking into stores backwards. It makes them think I'm leaving.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
You're losing.

In every sandwich, there is just a little bit of mind-controlling fungi that can be tapped into by the owner of Arby's.

They know suckers will think they are getting away with theft, but what you are really doing is succumbing to mind control. Soon you won't be yourself anymore, and the world will be taken over by all of you thieving heathens.

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Not sure I appreciate the political spin on it, but whatever, its just someone's opinion.

For the record, I haven't bought only a drink there since last spring, now I usually get their overpriced mozzarella sticks, and some chicken too.

I somewhat believe in karma, and that's why I always try to brighten up the cashier's day when I'm there. I figure that they rarely ever get personally complimented by customers, so maybe that helps my karma a little?

For what its worth, I wasn't really looking to be absolved for my "crimes" but more of a lighthearted thread, that could inform some folks of how to save money at Arby's, because its my favorite fast food, though more expensive than some crappy McDonald's or Taco Bell.

Looks like I won't be eating there though anymore, dang mind control ingredients.

Ps, nothing about the"America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir! jingle? Maybe I had my leg pulled...
------------------
-Aaron

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

(Im so PC)

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 03-09-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

1988holleyformula

4109 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Butter:

I was just thinkin' most folks know right from wrong and I thought you would be one of those folks. I'd bet Bernie Madoff did too.

Watch it folks. We have another Bernie in the making

Did I mention I have a GUARANTEED great investment opportunity? Just send me $1000, and I promise to double your principal
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
WoW I'm gonna be Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Damn Arbys, like all the rest ( except White Castle ), have shrunk the "burger" while still jacking prices. Either / or, NOT BOTH!
If they're not gonna play fair, then neither should we. Fire the CEO, then you'll save enough money to make the "burgers" big again.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock