Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Small engine gurus. Need some help. 10 HP Tecumseh.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Small engine gurus. Need some help. 10 HP Tecumseh. by Raydar
Started on: 03-08-2011 03:46 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: 86GT3.4DOHC on 03-09-2011 12:04 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I have a borrowed Troy Bilt chipper. Has a 10 HP Tecumseh engine.
They guy I borrowed it from said that it hasn't been run in two years.
Of course, it won't start.
I took the carb apart and cleaned all the grunge out of it. Really wasn't as bad as I expected. (Replaced a bunch of "shot" hoses, too.)
I was able to blow through the jet, and most every other little passage, so I think it's okay.
I did notice that there is one "mixture" screw that was, strangely enough, turned all the way in. It had a plastic cap on it, so I can only surmise that it's supposed to be that way. (The owner is not mechanically inclined at all, so I don't think he's messed with it.)

I'm not sure about spark. I took the plug out, connected the wire, and let it lay on top of the head. Couldn't really see a spark, but it's pretty bright outside.
Is it possible to check the coil on these things? Where do you measure?
It's got the lug on top of the coil to kill the ignition. I made sure the switch wasn't shorted.
The plug doesn't measure shorted with a meter, although there is a good deal of carbon on it.

What else?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
More info...
I'm guessing that the kill switch just grounds out the primary side of the coil.
With the switch in the run position, I measure about 300 ohms to ground.

Tried another spark plug. Nothing.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-08-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysClick Here to Email twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Did you try priming it by pouring a capful of gasoline into the carb?

Brad
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopClick Here to Email jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
With no ignition that won't help.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Try this. It might be a "fun" read at any rate. I just saved it to my hard drive as well.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

Doni, That's perfect! Thanks for the link.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Be sure to check the air filter.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Okay...
I do have spark. Couldn't see it outside in the daylight.
The plug is not getting wet, so I'm now forced to revisit the carb again.

The air filter isn't new, but it doesn't look bad. I hit it with a compressed air gun and nothing came out.
I think that it it were clogged, I'd still see the plug getting wet.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageClick Here to Email UaanaSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Try the carb set screw just for giggles.. Back it out half way..

Mine had "vibrated" in to the point where it would only run on full choke.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I'm with the guy who asked if you primed it? Also, you might want to check compression as one of your valves might be stuck open due to carbon/etc.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'll try the mixture screw. It's supposed to be the idle mixture from the diagrams I've seen. The high speed mixture is not adjustable.
I can try to prime it, but the carb is horizontal. No way to just pour anything in. Will have to come up with a spray of some sort.

Compression seems fine. When I yank the cord there's plenty of resistance. I can feel it when I pull through the compression stroke. It certainly doesn't freewheel.
A good yank sounds like it provides three "strokes".

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageClick Here to Email mike-ohioSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
Re-check the float, usually when they sit like that one did they stick closed and don't let any gas in.

If you unscrew the bottom of the carb does gas flow out (do this outside!).
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Mike,

I've taken the carb apart. The float moves freely. I can put a rubber tube up against various things and blow, and air comes out pretty much where I'd expect.
If I loosen the fitting on the bottom of the bowl, gas leaks out.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I had a tecumseh sno blower that needed coaxing. I put 4 or 5 drops into the cylinder and screwed the spark plug back in and got it to run for a few cycles....after about 3 tries at that it would stay lit.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I too would recommend throwing a capful of gas down the carb and trying it.

This will not only confirm it is a fuel issue if it starts or tries, but it also might run enough to pull the vacuum you need to prime the carb and solve the issue.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock