Started on: 03-07-2011 02:36 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: JazzMan on 03-09-2011 05:03 PM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Any questions?

Anyone want this attached to the back of your electric vehicle?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
An electric rabbit with an original rabbit diesel pusher was posted recently(by you?)... I REALLY wish the dude who makes these would explain the benefit. Lets take the original design, then, to make it greener, we will add weight, reduce aerodynamics, destroy a second efficient vehicle, and pull more power off the grid while still burning diesel in the original engine...

I don't get it. Plus... a trailer pushing the car? sounds like a good idea...
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Does it actually push or is it a power generation plant on wheels? If it pushes how is it controlled? I only see what appear to be heavy duty electrical cables between the vehicles.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I remember reading about this like ten years ago on the Fiero mailing list. I didn't see the benefit then and hope that folks don't take this particular design as a reason to invalidate all EV concepts and ideas.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Its a pusher.

http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm
Seriously, when these people convert their cars into homebrew EVs and realize they did a **** job and it doesn't work... They take the original mode of propulsion and add it back on. And this is supposed to be green? Its stupid!

Jeez... I'm gonna have an aneurysm... There is so much stupid in the world and it hurts my head. If you want a hybrid or an EV, find one that works. If you need to use your car as a traditional car and travel long distances, get a car that works. EVs are toys and city crawlers at this point in their evolution.

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 03-07-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tommy

Yes it was me that posted the Rabbit pushed by the rabbit. Both of these are just pushers - not chargers. Well unless they use the regenerative braking to recharge the batteries with the power. That makes no sense to do but yeah whatever. Green math doesn't work like regular math ya know.

I did mean to post the link but forgot. - Thanks

What really struck me is the gas tank. Mounted so it projects outside the frame. Held on by just two band clamps. Yes regular tanks are held on by straps. But not by multiple screw worm band clamps. If one of those band clamps were to let go, it surely looks like the tank would slip out from the other. If there were a crash it would be easy to see the tank get punctured. Just a bomb waiting to go off the way I see it.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but its diesel, so its harder to ignite... Super safe fuel...

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Engine: 1800 cc Volkswagon Rabbit stock, water-cooled, fuel-injected, gasoline engine (1981)
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
.......... Just a bomb waiting to go off the way I see it.

Why do people always say this? Lets say the tank was leaking and had a ignition source, your still missing a fuel air mixture inside the tank to get anything more than a fireball outside the tank.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So then we have this fire under this leaking gas tank. That will pressurize the tank. If the leak is small enough the pressure will build till something gives. When that releases you will have the effect of a bomb.

So inital fire bomb, or later exploding bomb.

proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
never will get allowed here.
The reasons , fuel tank accessible by anyone, its can be seen and not enough protection when in a accident
Too easy to jack knife on the roads here.
if hit in the back at speed, it would be a danger of fire.
We would need lights on the rear and plates , as its got.
its a fire risk

Oh just to add, i like it
Electric car with a diesel pusher, doesn't that defeats the purpose

[This message has been edited by proff (edited 03-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

So then we have this fire under this leaking gas tank. That will pressurize the tank. If the leak is small enough the pressure will build till something gives. When that releases you will have the effect of a bomb.

So inital fire bomb, or later exploding bomb.

That doesn't really work. Tanks are fairly well vented anyway through the evaporative emissions system and through the filler cap. The fuel boiling off inside the tank absorbs heat and slows the expansion rate. When (or if) the tank actually ruptures the result is just more fire since only the fuel that has available adjacent oxygen can actually burn. You can heat fuel without oxygen to a thousand degrees and it won't burn. It can't, not without an oxidizer.

In movies all car explosions are rigged with dynamite or other explosives, mainly because slow burns are boring on the big screen and it takes too long to destroy a car that way.

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

EVs are toys and city crawlers at this point in their evolution.

BTW, the GM Impact (the prototype for the EV-1) did 0-60 in under eight seconds, making it one of the faster cars in the nation in the early 1990's. The EV-1 did it in just over 8 seconds, mainly because GM slowed it down to increase battery range.

Real facts on the EV-1 http://www1.eere.energy.gov...v1_panpba_report.pdf
It's interesting to note that these tests were done before the new NiMH pack was put into production, greatly increasing range.

Here's an EV (homebuilt, even!) that goes over 100 mph and does the quarter in under 11 seconds, faster that most cars on the road now:
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

0-60 time is 1.8 seconds. Crawler? Maybe compared to a top fuel car perhaps...
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Ive seen the white zombie at a PIR alternative vehicle drag night! Very impressive car. Unfortunately they had just switched to a new battery technology and on the first run of the night blew up the motors. Threw sparks all the way down the track. Good night.

It was weird seeing it do a burnout cause there was no noise, just smoke. Eerily quiet.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

Ive seen the white zombie at a PIR alternative vehicle drag night! Very impressive car. Unfortunately they had just switched to a new battery technology and on the first run of the night blew up the motors. Threw sparks all the way down the track. Good night.

It was weird seeing it do a burnout cause there was no noise, just smoke. Eerily quiet.

I've seen videos but haven't had the honor of seeing it in person. The EV-1 and White Zombie were the EVs that finally dispelled the myth of the glorified electric golf cart that I'd had in my head up to that point. That was well over 10 years ago. I even got to sit in the Impact when the Sunrayce came through my town back then. Technology is changing fast, at least technology that has funded research. Heck, LiFePO4 battery chemistry hadn't even been developed when the EV-1 was being developed. With that technology alone the EV-1 could have nearly double the range without losing it's high-performance.

Yeah, blowing up new technology on the track is a time-honored tradition going back almost a hundred years.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

BTW, the GM Impact (the prototype for the EV-1) did 0-60 in under eight seconds, making it one of the faster cars in the nation in the early 1990's. The EV-1 did it in just over 8 seconds, mainly because GM slowed it down to increase battery range.

Real facts on the EV-1 http://www1.eere.energy.gov...v1_panpba_report.pdf
It's interesting to note that these tests were done before the new NiMH pack was put into production, greatly increasing range.

Here's an EV (homebuilt, even!) that goes over 100 mph and does the quarter in under 11 seconds, faster that most cars on the road now:
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

0-60 time is 1.8 seconds. Crawler? Maybe compared to a top fuel car perhaps...

Come on, man... If you are gonna argue, use sense. Yeah, you can crank good power out of an electric motor and release all the juice in the batteries quickly and propel a go cart down a 1/4 mile track quickly... then you are out of juice. Real life cars, the one you could actually buy and use on the street, are city crawlers. The ones purpose built to show how fast EV can be have a range so small that they aren't usable in the real world. So yes, even though someone built one with the sole purpose being acceleration, EVs are city crawlers at this point..
And about the diesel... oops, I thought the guy would have at least gone TDI...

Also, that Datsun... If that had to be built to modern crash standards, it would weigh 1000 pounds more and NOT be that fast. When talking about producing EVs, you have to remember the rules and regulations they would have to follow. I could put a big ass motor and battery pack on 3 wheels and strap a lawn chair to it and get an 8 second 1/4 mile, but that has no use in the real world because it can't be sold and used in the real world.

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 03-08-2011).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Dammit, I knew I forgot something... should of put a SBC in the trailer too... for a dual SBC package.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Come on, man... If you are gonna argue, use sense. Yeah, you can crank good power out of an electric motor and release all the juice in the batteries quickly and propel a go cart down a 1/4 mile track quickly... then you are out of juice. Real life cars, the one you could actually buy and use on the street, are city crawlers. The ones purpose built to show how fast EV can be have a range so small that they aren't usable in the real world. So yes, even though someone built one with the sole purpose being acceleration, EVs are city crawlers at this point..
And about the diesel... oops, I thought the guy would have at least gone TDI...

Also, that Datsun... If that had to be built to modern crash standards, it would weigh 1000 pounds more and NOT be that fast. When talking about producing EVs, you have to remember the rules and regulations they would have to follow. I could put a big ass motor and battery pack on 3 wheels and strap a lawn chair to it and get an 8 second 1/4 mile, but that has no use in the real world because it can't be sold and used in the real world.

I showed you links to back up what I said, but your uncivil response only demonstrates you have no interest in changing your paradigms to more closely reflect current facts. At this point I see no reason to expend any further effort trying to dispel the misinformation and erroneous facts you so strongly believe in, and would agree that no EV of any kind will ever be a good choice for you.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

I showed you links to back up what I said, but your uncivil response only demonstrates you have no interest in changing your paradigms to more closely reflect current facts. At this point I see no reason to expend any further effort trying to dispel the misinformation and erroneous facts you so strongly believe in, and would agree that no EV of any kind will ever be a good choice for you.

Why do you let all of these threads / posts get to you so much? We're all just on here bull-shitting. Seriously, it's not healthy to let yourself get so worked up over this stuff. Most of the guys on here, even though these responses all sound aggressive and negative, they really aren't. You take way too much of this stuff personally.

I'm sure every guy here would probably say the same thing. I would have told you this in PM, but you blocked me.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Why do you let all of these threads / posts get to you so much? We're all just on here bull-shitting. Seriously, it's not healthy to let yourself get so worked up over this stuff. Most of the guys on here, even though these responses all sound aggressive and negative, they really aren't. You take way too much of this stuff personally.

I'm sure every guy here would probably say the same thing. I would have told you this in PM, but you blocked me.

In your mind you perceive that these threads are "getting to me", but in reality they aren't. Any thoughts and feelings you have about what I think about anything are strictly constructs in your own mind that, based on my experience here so far with you, have no bearing whatsoever on what I actually feel or think about anything. In fact, they seem to be solely rooted in your ideological perceptions of those "not like you". I block anyone who's been uncivil to me, and recommend that everyone else do the same regardless of ideology or mindset. If all the good folks here were to draw the line on uncivil behavior and not just simply tolerate it then the general tone of this forum would be much more civilized. I've had my eyes opened by hanging on other forums and have seen just how pleasant and civilized forums can be.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock