Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Server 2008 gurus... Domain Controller and write permissions? Access denied on Shares

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Server 2008 gurus... Domain Controller and write permissions? Access denied on Shares by Synthesis
Started on: 03-05-2011 08:01 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: FieroRumor on 03-05-2011 08:44 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
New domain controller...

Multiple shares...

Permissions on the shares are set to modify access.
Clients are in the group with Modify access, the group is added to the folder for permissions.

Clients get Access Denied when trying to write anything to the shares.

I have removed all groups except Administrators and the group with modify, and get the same thing.

This also occurs on their personal network drive share, when they are listed as the owner, and the Administrators is the only other group.
They have Full control on their own folders.

Ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Do you have anything set to Deny?

Also, since it in a new domain controller, did you rehoin the workstations to the domain, by removing them and putting them back in?

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 03-05-2011).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Do you have anything set to Deny?

Also, since it in a new domain controller, did you rehoin the workstations to the domain, by removing them and putting them back in?

I think I found it in the "Sharing" tab under Advanced Sharing for the root folders.. "Everyone" was set to read only.. Even though the Security tab has the correct groups with the correct permissions..

All PCs have been rejoined.

The original Domain controller had about 15 people that changed things over the last 4 years, and it was beyond repair... Response time on the server was horrible, and permissions were beyond messed up.

Applying permissions now, so waiting to see what happens.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Check and make sure the rights are set on the folders, share rights and folder rights are not the same.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Check and make sure the rights are set on the folders, share rights and folder rights are not the same.

Correct. The Share rights will supercede the folder rights when setting via the Security tab...

Another 18 minutes til permissions are done.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
What about the rest of the tree?
(The folders their folders are living in?)
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

What about the rest of the tree?
(The folders their folders are living in?)

Folders inherit from the top level for most of the shared folders, unless a sub folder down the tree needs access restricted. Then I uncheck inherit at the folder level down the tree and apply permissions directly.

I am able to write now, now that I eliminated "Everyone" and it's read only access and instead applied the group that contains all of the users.

This opened the share up.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Folders inherit from the top level for most of the shared folders, unless a sub folder down the tree needs access restricted. Then I uncheck inherit at the folder level down the tree and apply permissions directly.

I am able to write now, now that I eliminated "Everyone" and it's read only access and instead applied the group that contains all of the users.

This opened the share up.

Glad you got it to work.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock