Started on: 03-05-2011 04:21 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: blackrams on 03-06-2011 10:27 AM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Amanda was watching a movie today and I was sitting there she complained about having to watch an advertisement. And I being the quintessential old fart farther said.

“ Not everything is a commercial free channel,
why when I was a kid,
Everything had commercials and you had to get up off your fat ass and go over to the TV to change the channel. Hell you had look in a paperback TV guide to see what was on. And everything was in BLACK and WHITE.”

I am my farther, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

He used to say things like,

“You got it good hell when I went to school I had to walk to school,
10 miles,
each way,
up hill,
in the snow with no shoes.”

Or

“I killed a bear in the woods with the toothpick from my Swiss army knife.”

What have you said that screams your dad, and what do you remember your dad saying.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Any sentence that starts with "When I was YOUR age, we didn't/couldn't/wouldn't".....take your pick.

Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoDirect Link to This Post
TV Guide ?

Didn't need a TV Guide, when I was a kid.

Only had one channel.

Black and White TV, Black and White programming.

No arguing over what to watch either.

It was either on or off.

Now I have 500 channels of satellite,
even take it in the travel trailer when we go camping.

Life certainly tough for kids these days.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014

Most students entering college for the first time this fall—the Class of 2014—were born in 1992.

For these students, Benny Hill, Sam Kinison, Sam Walton, Bert Parks and Tony Perkins have always been dead.

1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.

2. Email is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.

3. “Go West, Young College Grad” has always implied “and don’t stop until you get to Asia…and learn Chinese along the way.”

4. Al Gore has always been animated.

5. Los Angelenos have always been trying to get along.

6. Buffy has always been meeting her obligations to hunt down Lothos and the other blood-suckers at Hemery High.

7. “Caramel macchiato” and “venti half-caf vanilla latte” have always been street corner lingo.

8. With increasing numbers of ramps, Braille signs, and handicapped parking spaces, the world has always been trying harder to accommodate people with disabilities.

9. Had it remained operational, the villainous computer HAL could be their college classmate this fall, but they have a better chance of running into Miley Cyrus’s folks on Parents’ Weekend.

10. Entering college this fall in a country where a quarter of young people under 18 have at least one immigrant parent, they aren't afraid of immigration...unless it involves "real" aliens from another planet.

11. John McEnroe has never played professional tennis.

12. Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry.

13. Parents and teachers feared that Beavis and Butt-head might be the voice of a lost generation.

14. Doctor Kevorkian has never been licensed to practice medicine.

15. Colorful lapel ribbons have always been worn to indicate support for a cause.

16. Korean cars have always been a staple on American highways.

17. Trading Chocolate the Moose for Patti the Platypus helped build their Beanie Baby collection.

18. Fergie is a pop singer, not a princess.

19. They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone.

20. DNA fingerprinting and maps of the human genome have always existed.

21. Woody Allen, whose heart has wanted what it wanted, has always been with Soon-Yi Previn.

22. Cross-burning has always been deemed protected speech.

23. Leasing has always allowed the folks to upgrade their tastes in cars.

24. “Cop Killer” by rapper Ice-T has never been available on a recording.

25. Leno and Letterman have always been trading insults on opposing networks.

26. Unless they found one in their grandparents’ closet, they have never seen a carousel of Kodachrome slides.

27. Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.

28. They’ve never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.

29. Reggie Jackson has always been enshrined in Cooperstown.

30. “Viewer Discretion” has always been an available warning on TV shows.

31. The first home computer they probably touched was an Apple II or Mac II; they are now in a museum.

32. Czechoslovakia has never existed.

33. Second-hand smoke has always been an official carcinogen.

34. “Assisted Living” has always been replacing nursing homes, while Hospice has always offered an alternative to the hospital.

35. Once they got through security, going to the airport has always resembled going to the mall.

36. Adhesive strips have always been available in varying skin tones.

37. Whatever their parents may have thought about the year they were born, Queen Elizabeth declared it an “Annus Horribilis.”

38. Bud Selig has always been the Commissioner of Major League Baseball.

39. Pizza jockeys from Domino’s have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.

40. There have always been HIV positive athletes in the Olympics.

41. American companies have always done business in Vietnam.

42. Potato has always ended in an “e” in New Jersey per vice presidential edict.

43. Russians and Americans have always been living together in space.

44. The dominance of television news by the three networks passed while they were still in their cribs.

45. They have always had a chance to do community service with local and federal programs to earn money for college.

46. Nirvana is on the classic oldies station.

47. Children have always been trying to divorce their parents.

48. Someone has always gotten married in space.

49. While they were babbling in strollers, there was already a female Poet Laureate of the United States.

50. Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.

51. Food has always been irradiated.

52. There have always been women priests in the Anglican Church.

53. J.R. Ewing has always been dead and gone. Hasn’t he?

54. The historic bridge at Mostar in Bosnia has always been a copy.

55. Rock bands have always played at presidential inaugural parties.

56. They may have assumed that parents’ complaints about Black Monday had to do with punk rockers from L.A., not Wall Street.

57. A purple dinosaur has always supplanted Barney Google and Barney Fife.

58. Beethoven has always been a good name for a dog.

59. By the time their folks might have noticed Coca Cola’s new Tab Clear, it was gone.

60. Walmart has never sold handguns over the counter in the lower 48.

61. Presidential appointees have always been required to be more precise about paying their nannies’ withholding tax, or else.

62. Having hundreds of cable channels but nothing to watch has always been routine.

63. Their parents’ favorite TV sitcoms have always been showing up as movies.

64. The U.S, Canada, and Mexico have always agreed to trade freely.

65. They first met Michelangelo when he was just a computer virus.

66. Galileo is forgiven and welcome back into the Roman Catholic Church.

67. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has always sat on the Supreme Court.

68. They have never worried about a Russian missile strike on the U.S.

69. It seems the Post Office has always been going broke.

70. The artist formerly known as Snoop Doggy Dogg has always been rapping.

71. The nation has never approved of the job Congress is doing.

72. One way or another, “It’s the economy, stupid” and always has been.

73. Silicone-gel breast implants have always been regulated.

74. They've always been able to blast off with the Sci-Fi (SYFY) Channel.

75. Honda has always been a major competitor on Memorial Day at Indianapolis.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

4. Al Gore has always been animated.

Really? I've never seen that, and I'm 58.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Really? I've never seen that, and I'm 58.

Because you're too old to watch the animated shows that Gore has been on.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marko:

Didn't need a TV Guide, when I was a kid.

Only had one channel.

Black and White TV, Black and White programming.

No arguing over what to watch either.

It was either on or off.

I'm so old I can remember when we would watch the Indian Head test pattern and listen to the 400 Hz test tone, accompanied by nervous parental and grandparental fiddling with the antenna, for half an hour before regular programming began ... at about 3:00 in the afternoon. Vacuum-tube TV sets drifted quite a bit as they warmed up, so you had to constantly adjust the horizontal and vertical hold controls, as well as the fine-tuning control, to maintain a stable and snow-free picture.

I remember it was a big deal in 1952 when the "Coaxial Cable" brought live network programming to places beyond New York City. We were fascinated to watch the 1952 national political conventions live. ("I Like Ike" was the Republican slogan, while the Democrats limped along with "Gladly for Adlai.")

Later I actually worked in broadcast television, back in the 1960s when most TV stations still signed off at midnight and signed back on at 6 a.m. with the farm reports, through the transition from 100% live performance and grainy kinescopes to widespread use of video tape, and during the transition from black & white to color. Producing live programs back-to-back for hours at a time was challenging enough, but live commercials were even worse; Murphy's Law often reared its ugly head, with the advertiser sitting right there in the studio. Then again, I got to direct live shows with singers Conway Twitty, Wanda Jackson, and many others, as well as actor Tim Holt, and I got to meet a lot of celebrities and semi-beautiful people.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-05-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
This thread makes me miss my days as a kid in the early 90's Ah to be young and carefree again, what with all the day glo clothing and everything else that was a hold over for my generation from the late 80's...
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for making me feel old It was the early 70's for me (born in 66).

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Thanks for making me feel old It was the early 70's for me (born in 66).

Lol, sorry bout that

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I remember when I was in the Air Force, Oklahoma gasoline was .09 @ gallon. You could go for a walk late in the evening without getting robbed or killed. You could leave your convertible top down and car unlocked in any parking lot, even overnite. You could go away for the day leaving all your house windows and doors, even garage door, wide open. We didnt worry about getting aids or herpies.... Most of all, you could buy real American Muscle Cars brand new for $3000. My parents first new house had a 2 1/2 car garage, full finished basement and 4 bedrooms for $12,000 brand new.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-06-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
Then again, I got to direct live shows with singers Conway Twitty, Wanda Jackson, and many others, as well as actor Tim Holt, and I got to meet a lot of celebrities and semi-beautiful people.

Hmm, I don't remember meeting you Marvin but, there is still time.

------------------
Ron

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock