Started on: 03-03-2011 08:54 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: DeLorean00 on 03-04-2011 09:24 PM
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I was approached today by one of my largest clients and offered a very nice position. It would be in the automotive wholesale field. But in a unique area. I can't discuss to many details right now as its all hush hush until things are finalized. But I would be working with a huge nationwide corporation and spend most of my time flying around the US working in different cities everyday.

As for pay, I was told it would start out making more then I make right now, and have room to move up quickly. However my client really doesn't know how much I make, but he probably has a good idea. But it would have to be a really solid compensation for me to consider this, as it would be pulling me away from my home most the week.

I was told I could stay in the cities I fly to, or opt to fly home after work. In the cases where I was on the west coast I would try and fly home most nights.

Now the next thing, is I don't want to close my current company I own. So if I get this job it will happen fast, and I will need to make my current company run completely on its own without me around. So that will be a big task. But if I can do it, I then could make money off my current company, and make money at my new job. But the main reason I want to keep my company going, is if I start this new job and don't like it or get fired I want something to fall back on.

So things might be changing for me. I am excited, stressed, and kinda confused. I will find out in the next few days if I will get this job. Change is scary, I am comfortable where I am, but I also long for a change. Its easy to get set in one rut and stay there forever.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

(mumble, grumble something about winning life's lottery, not fair, and you should give me money)

BTW, looking to hire or expand on the East Coast?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Just have to find the right person/people to run the current business. if you've been paying yourself, you could possibly be making double then? Still waiting to hear about a couple jobs I interviewed for last week, hopefully I won't be an under-employed engineer much longer

Good luck!
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Just make sure your relationship can support this new endevour.
If I remember right, the future health of your relationship is very importent to you.
Good luck with your desision, I hope for only the best for you & yours..
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I have been really lucky in life. But also worked since I was 14 doing every crappy job I could to make money. Its taken years to start really paying off. But I have found that my reputation in business is so solid its opened a lot of door for me. Being a man of your word goes a long way out there.

As for my current company, I should still be able to make money off of it. I just don't know how much. I will promote one of my current employees, but I am not sure if he is ready for it. It will be kinda a throwing someone in a pool to learn to swim. But I think he will be able to do it. And no one minds a pay increase.

Also if I do end up with this job, I will have to hang out with some of you guys if I end up staying overnight is cities where you live.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Just make sure your relationship can support this new endevour.
If I remember right, the future health of your relationship is very importent to you.
Good luck with your desision, I hope for only the best for you & yours..

This is true! And its one thing that does bother me. However she is in school right now on top of working full time. So the evenings when I am not at home she will be busy with other things. But my goal is to end up with all the west coast accounts, so I am not stuck on the other side of the country all week.

But it will be a test. And I know for sure I will miss her when I am on the road. But in the past few months we have really grown as a couple so I think we will be up to this.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 03-03-2011).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
<== Available to run old business for you. Good bye Uncle Sam!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
You got it Hulki!! Move the whole family out here for a $15 dollar an hour job.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a great business opportunity!! Good luck with it, and wishing prosperity your way!!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Sounds like a great business opportunity!! Good luck with it, and wishing prosperity your way!!

Thank you!!

I am a bit nervous. But I am going to go for it, if things work out. It too easy to not take risks. I don't have any children, so if I must travel with work now is the time.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I was approached today by one of my largest clients and offered a very nice position.

Sorry!! But just reading the first line there had me in stitches I had this image flash into my imagi...ok forget it
Cool!!
(Now I´ll go back and read the rest ....the tears have stopped flowing and I can see again
SORRY Delorean00!
Nick
Edit...read it all...make sure wifey is 100% behind this...a divorce could cost you all that earn in the future, and probably most of what you have NOW
having said the nasty bit, I truly wish you an abundance of success....and a box of travel pills
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 03-03-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
Sorry!! But just reading the first line there had me in stitches I had this image flash into my imagi...ok forget it
Cool!!
(Now I´ll go back and read the rest ....the tears have stopped flowing and I cn see again
SORRY Delorean00!
Nick

LoL Nick

If only my client was a hot chick and not a burly dude.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Up to this point in your life you have worked to be your own man.

I'm not saying that this new position would take anything away from that, but do you need it?

Could you take the next year or so and work on getting your business self sufficient, and then go to work for this?

Would you like the daily hassle of having a business, and this new job?

It would be a stressful decision if I was in your shoes.

I think the decision needs to be based on what will make you the happiest in the end, and though it's nice to not worry about it, money doesn't really get you there.

Brad
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Up to this point in your life you have worked to be your own man.

I'm not saying that this new position would take anything away from that, but do you need it?

Could you take the next year or so and work on getting your business self sufficient, and then go to work for this?

Would you like the daily hassle of having a business, and this new job?

It would be a stressful decision if I was in your shoes.

I think the decision needs to be based on what will make you the happiest in the end, and though it's nice to not worry about it, money doesn't really get you there.

Brad

Brad you bring up good points. And its something I am struggling with. I have been my own boss for so long its hard to imagine working for a company again.

But on the other side. I have been longing for a change. I have been doing the same thing, day in and day out for over 10 years. I feel like I am wasting my talents, I want to try new things.

We will see. Its still a very strong chance things could fall apart before they ever come together.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Maaaannnnnnn!

Hope it works out like you want it to.
Best of luck!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

I was approached today by one of my largest clients and offered a very nice position. It would be in the automotive wholesale field. But in a unique area. I can't discuss to many details right now as its all hush hush until things are finalized. But I would be working with a huge nationwide corporation and spend most of my time flying around the US working in different cities everyday.

As for pay, I was told it would start out making more then I make right now, and have room to move up quickly. However my client really doesn't know how much I make, but he probably has a good idea. But it would have to be a really solid compensation for me to consider this, as it would be pulling me away from my home most the week.

I was told I could stay in the cities I fly to, or opt to fly home after work. In the cases where I was on the west coast I would try and fly home most nights.

Now the next thing, is I don't want to close my current company I own. So if I get this job it will happen fast, and I will need to make my current company run completely on its own without me around. So that will be a big task. But if I can do it, I then could make money off my current company, and make money at my new job. But the main reason I want to keep my company going, is if I start this new job and don't like it or get fired I want something to fall back on.

So things might be changing for me. I am excited, stressed, and kinda confused. I will find out in the next few days if I will get this job. Change is scary, I am comfortable where I am, but I also long for a change. Its easy to get set in one rut and stay there forever.

Maybe take on a partner for your current business?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

LoL Nick

If only my client was a hot chick and not a burly dude.

Well you did say LARGEST client...

As boonie said above, make sure you will still be able to keep the relationship going strong. If she will be at school, this might be the BEST time for you to try out a job such as this. I did some travelling in the past, and I didn't mind it, because it was before my little guy came along...

It sounds like you can make the best of this opportunity, you already have reached a level a lot of other people "hope to end up someday", so keep on truckin'!

Just keep what's important in mind. And keep the relationship a TOP (or THE top ) priority!

Best of luck
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

You got it Hulki!! Move the whole family out here for a $15 dollar an hour job.

I've moved further for less ...sometimes its about the experience and adventure, and not the money.

And congratts !!!!

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
I read a management book that said to train people to replace yourself. Treat your company like a franchisee who is forced to comply with a company plan, goal, method of training, appearance and the like. You're selling an image, a product, yourself, If you have time, train a good person to replace you who internalizes your business philosophy and if you have to return to your business, it will be the same as when you left it. Good luck to you! I wish you well.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

I read a management book that said to train people to replace yourself. Treat your company like a franchisee who is forced to comply with a company plan, goal, method of training, appearance and the like. You're selling an image, a product, yourself, If you have time, train a good person to replace you who internalizes your business philosophy and if you have to return to your business, it will be the same as when you left it. Good luck to you! I wish you well.

That is really good advice!! I have a person that works for me that seems to share my vision. I am hoping he can replace me. He is a little 'green' but maybe throwing him out there will make him a great boss.

Now the other news is I got a call today, and it looks like this job is a go. We are hammering out the final details but I was told to expect to start in 4-6 weeks time.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock