Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  SCOTUS upholds Phelps Church right to protest funerals! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
SCOTUS upholds Phelps Church right to protest funerals! by Doni Hagan
Started on: 03-02-2011 01:14 PM
Replies: 53
Last post by: twofatguys on 03-12-2011 06:35 PM
Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
The Supreme Court has given the Phelps gang carte blanche to keep their crap up.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...itics-more_politics/

Do the families have the right to "respond with extreme prejudice?"

BTW...I posted this under "religion" but it could go either way....religion or politics.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 03-02-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
sickening. I hope each and everyone of them burns in "their" hell. This **** is ridiculous, yes it is their constitutional right to speak out against the soldiers but i mean cmon, there are some things that you just don't do.

edit: the immature side of me hopes that someone will do a driveby at one of their protests and the perp gets away or is given an official pardon by the governor of whatever state it happens at and then a bunch of the familys of the peoples funerals that have been protested at can get together and go protest at the funerals. I would gladly send in 10 towards a plane ticket for someone.

[This message has been edited by Ramsespride (edited 03-02-2011).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I still don't know what they think they are accomplishing, these protesters.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
I guess it is the right decision as they should have the freedom to state their minds but those are some vile people that have the gall to protest a patriots funeral.

Please tell me the military are working on non lethal ways to take care of them
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
I just have to hold my nose and agree that the Court's decision is constitutionally correct.

On the other hand, I heard last night that professional ethics complaints have recently been filed in Kansas against all of the attorneys in the Phelps cult. Fred Phelps himself was disbarred in 1979 by the Kansas Supreme Court for unprofessional conduct, although he continued to practice in the Federal courts for ten more years. Disbarment of other attorneys among them would certainly make it more expensive for them to use the courts to bully and intimidate opponents.

The bizzare behavior of the Phelps cult is outside the understanding of most sane people. How displaying large cartoon banners depicting anal intercourse, across the street from an elementary school yet, is "doing God's work" is beyond my comprehension.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-02-2011).]

doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post
Even though I'm pretty conservative, I'm glad the SCOTUS ruled the way they did. I abhor what these clowns are doing and I don't think they should, but if the courts start taking away free speech, where would it stop? I was just talking to a close friend about this on facebook and she doesn't understand how I could be for this. She ended up 'de-friending' me.

Doug
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I believe that, by the letter of the law, the Supreme Court ruled correctly.

I also believe that it's the perfect illustration of the fact that just because something is legal, it doesn't necessarily mean it's right.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
not sure why it was even in question
of course they can

sucks that religous people are so hateful, but - wtf ya gonna do.....

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

of course they can

Its hard to even laugh at your posts sometimes. Are you trying to point out the obvious generalization people are supposed to draw from this story being reported over and over and over, and how rediculous it is?
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

sucks that religous people are so hateful.....

Do you lump EVERYONE together into categories "religious people are hateful" , or just the ones you yourself openly hate?

Wait, you were just baiting people to say something. You got me.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, they have the right to do it... the judgement was constitutionally valid... and that is exactly why the Supreme Court exists.

That said, I can't stand that church. I mean, it's really only like 11 people or something from what I understand. Anyway, as much as I hate them, they have the right to do it. We can't start censoring people just because we don't like what they have to say.

We just have to make sure that we get enough volunteers to create a wall between them.

Ever heard that lady interviewed? She's really out there...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

PFF
System Bot
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I still don't know what they think they are accomplishing, these protesters.

Lets see what I can remember when they visited our town in protest--
They disrupted the community peace and incited a mental riot in enough folks that extra law enforcement to be called in. They disrupted traffic in the area. They did not have enough respect to honor the passed veteran enabling them to protest. They personally caused me to go see the spectical and be ready to literally kick butt should violence break out.

The only thing I could concider they caused positive to happen is when the funeral goers raised their voices in song and in honor of the fallen soildier loud enough to drown out any noise coming from the protesters.

While I feel they have the right to protest and public debate I feel they do not have the right to cause disruption in any community to the degree they have while exercising their rights.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:
Do you lump EVERYONE together into categories "religious people are hateful" , or just the ones you yourself openly hate?

Wait, you were just baiting people to say something. You got me.

just like Muslims are terrorists.....
but, everyone will let that one slide, wont they?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doug.s:

Even though I'm pretty conservative, I'm glad the SCOTUS ruled the way they did. I abhor what these clowns are doing and I don't think they should, but if the courts start taking away free speech, where would it stop? I was just talking to a close friend about this on facebook and she doesn't understand how I could be for this. She ended up 'de-friending' me.

Doug

The vote was 8-1 for the protesters. The only contrary voice was Samuel Alito......the last guy I expected...what is goin on.
Butter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

...what is goin on.

The wrong argument was presented to the court. Its not about their right to protest or publically debate. Its about how much disruption is allowed before they are charged with inciting a riot.

I hope the next time they attempt to disrupt a funeral they are rode out of town on a rail then tared and feathered and charged with inciting a riot!! Let them try and fight that. The court did aknowledge their protest was hurtful. Well people do respond to pain in many ways. Riot that Pain!!

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

of course they can

Lock and load. lol
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Lock and load. lol

Texas Humor
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Michigan’s law barring protesters from funerals might be vulnerable after today’s ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The nation’s highest court ruled in favor of an anti-gay group that pickets at military funerals.

Michigan, like dozens of other states, passed a law in 2006 to prevent the protests from disrupting funerals here.

At the time, the states were trying to prevent a fundamentalist Christian Church from Kansas from picketing military funerals.

The pickets were not opposing the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, but against gay rights.

The ACLU challenged Michigan’s law after a couple attending a family friend’s funeral was arrested for having anti-George W. Bush signs on their car.

Dan Korobkin, with the ACLU, says the new court ruling may be enough to tip the balance in their challenge to Michigan’s law:

“Laws that are created to stifle unpopular speech, which is what the law in Michigan was created to do, always end up backfiring and punishing innocent people.”

Korobkin says they hope to hear soon from the federal judge considering their challenge to the state law, "the federal judge who is overseeing that case has already indicated that it is probably unconstitutional, but he hasn’t taken the final step of striking it down," said Korobkin.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
This as difficult one for me........Gut reaction is Phelps is a piece of crap....but yes, I think the court was right to defend free speach....

Dont mean Phelps cant be dealt with in other ways.....I dunno about him, but if I pizzed off and disrespected the entire US army, marine corps, airforce AND all of its serving allies...well, I wouldnt sleep very well and would be looking over my shoulder
Wudman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
Pissed me off something special when I was hearing the report, then I remembered, Free speech protects idiots as well as Patriots. I vented by putting up a YouTube that I presume is also protected by the 8-1 ruling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VYaqccZTk8

Any a-hole that says a 9 year old is "better off dead" will surely have his words and lifestyle come full circle.

Sometimes it is tougher to be a Citizen than others. Free Speech Won, but Phelps is still a loser. At some point there should be a rational debate of when a Church isn't a church, but a political organization. Those so deemed to spend an inordinate amount of their time and money to focus on political speech should lose their tax-exempt status.

In the mean time, support your local fallen Hero and support their families and sacrifice by showing up and using your voice to drown out Phelps and his "hurtful" political rhetoric.

------------------
FieroDriver -- WordPress For Pros - Wud's Photo Blogs

[This message has been edited by Wudman (edited 03-02-2011).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Get a list of the "church's" members. When one of their family members passes, give it right back to them. Have a massive crowd protest the "church" and their beliefs. Betcha the Phelps cult, erm, I mean "church" members will stop their foolishness in short order.

If one of my family members passed and their funeral fell victim to a protest, I hate to think what I would do I'm not one to sit quietly, I can only be pushed so far. TO ME freedom of speech has it's place, dishonoring the memory of a loved one is not where it needs to be exercised, please take it to D.C or the media.

I had more but deleted it, got way too far off topic

Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won; here's to America's colors, the colors that never run. May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 03-02-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

just like Muslims are terrorists.....
but, everyone will let that one slide, wont they?

I don't know. You tell me, since you seem to know how everyone is.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:

...At some point there should be a rational debate of when a Church isn't a church, but a political organization. Those so deemed to spend an inordinate amount of their time and money to focus on political speech should lose their tax-exempt status.

Thank you.
I have long held this belief. And not just in the case of Phelps and his phonies.
There are any number of "churches" whose sole purpose is to influence the political tides, or just to stir up the masses.

Good video.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

sickening. I hope each and everyone of them burns in "their" hell. This **** is ridiculous, yes it is their constitutional right to speak out against the soldiers but i mean cmon, there are some things that you just don't do.

edit: the immature side of me hopes that someone will do a driveby at one of their protests and the perp gets away or is given an official pardon by the governor of whatever state it happens at and then a bunch of the familys of the peoples funerals that have been protested at can get together and go protest at the funerals. I would gladly send in 10 towards a plane ticket for someone.

Are you sure about this answer?

And the best part of being and American citizen is the fact that im allowed to call you names and belittle you

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
The fact is, Phelps is going to have a demonstration the likes no one has ever seen when he dies. And then his family and friends who love and miss him can read all the true signs about what a hateful jerk he was.

And I hope I will be there.
Butter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:

Sometimes it is tougher to be a Citizen than others.

Fred increases the difficulty factor.

Originally posted by Raydar:

There are any number of "churches" whose sole purpose is to influence the political tides, or just to stir up the masses.

Good video.

I agree this should be addressed in many a church.

Wud I think you have a very valid angle to his retoric. I like your video.

Just a passing thought but if someone yelled FIRE at one of fred's protest and the whole crowd run over him and his idiots to get away from the fire and trampled them wonder what the out come of that would be should fred be able to take it to court?
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
The "ass end" of free speech, but unfortunately necessary.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Bear, you're 1000% right.

It doesn't make it any easier to swallow, though. Like Tbone said, one of these days, Phelps will go to meet his maker and I pray his funeral receives the same degree of reverence he gave to others.

When that day comes, I for one think it warrants a "road trip."
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
No surprise, SCOTUS uphold KKK rights to parade in black neighborhood... look it up yourself or watch History channel.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
.....and allowed the National Socialist Party (Nazi) to march through Skokie, Illinois...an overwhelmingly Jewish community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...v._Village_of_Skokie

It STILL doesn't make it right though....or FEEL right at any rate.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

.....and allowed the National Socialist Party (Nazi) to march through Skokie, Illinois...an overwhelmingly Jewish community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...v._Village_of_Skokie

It STILL doesn't make it right though....or FEEL right at any rate.

YUP!

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula (on 08-16-2010):

On a somewhat related note, I did a report in school on the case of Skokie vs. The National Socialist Party of America.

From Wikipedia:
1977 - The National Socialist Party of America (a Neo-Nazi group) planned a march in the town of Skokie, Illinois, a largely Jewish community. Many Skokie residents were Holocaust survivors. The neo-Nazi leader, Frank Collin, originally had proposed a march in Marquette Park on Chicago's Southwest side where their headquarters was located. The Park District asked for a huge insurance bond to indemnify them against any damage caused by the anticipated violence hoping that this requirement would dissuade them from marching. The neo-Nazis then threatened to march in Skokie.

I understand the hatred that the Jewish population felt, but in the end you have to realize that we live in America that has freedom for everybody (as long as they respect the freedoms of others) and you have to give that right to every minority group, until they abuse it and cause violence against our great country, then you show them the full force of the United States Armed Forces.

The First Amendment can be a b!tch, but I will stick with it til the end.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I don't think there was ever really much of a question of whether they had the right to assemble and protest, but I do think, that eventually, this type of hatred will end badly for Phelps, and I'm not talking about an afterlife..
Wudman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Butter:

Originally posted by Raydar:

Thanks for the comments on the video. One of the few I didn't have to redo a dozen times.

If anything is frustrating about how this decision is being reported it is that they call it a "victory" for his group. In reality, he didn't win anything, but by spinning it that way, the media gets a little more mileage out of the decision.
Fred and his family of goons have been around St. Louis and South Central, IL a few times. I have been to two funerals, but will redouble my efforts to attend more. Not much else to do but express ourselves louder.

[This message has been edited by Wudman (edited 03-03-2011).]

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of showing up and protesting at his church services. How about a concert on the sidewalk out in front of his building. I wonder if the Village People would do a reunion show
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

I like the idea of showing up and protesting at his church services. How about a concert on the sidewalk out in front of his building. I wonder if the Village People would do a reunion show

I like the way you think.

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
They have been at two military visitations I have attended. No funerals though.

One for my friend, which most of you know about, and another for a marine I saw on the news and felt compelled to go see the visitation.

Both times, a group called The Freedom Riders was there, and basically made it to where nobody even knew Phelps was there. They guard the perimeter and Phelps doesn't get anywhere near them. It's really cool.

I don't know what I would have done if I had seen them at Phil's actual funeral. I imagine I would have given them the exact response they wanted... but then I guess I'd just be in jail.

I pity them.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is the best way that I have seen to deal with the Phelps gang:

http://www.godvine.com/Chri...len-Soldier-278.html
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Here is the best way that I have seen to deal with the Phelps gang:

http://www.godvine.com/Chri...len-Soldier-278.html

Patriot Guard = Freedom Riders! Yes! That's what I was talking about! It is very effective.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
interview today on Fox Sunday

http://www.foxnews.com/on-a...ws-sunday/index.html

The Supreme Court rules in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church, whose members picket military funerals with anti-gay protests. The court’s controversial 8-1 ruling cited that the protests were within the church’s First Amendment rights. “Fox News Sunday,” anchor Chris Wallace interviews the daughter of Westboro’s founder, who’s also the attorney who successfully argued the case.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Yep, it is their right to act like jerks and i don't wish that they get gunned down as that makes you sound no better then they are. What if you were at a protest that someone else didn't agree with ( by definition .. a protest ) does that make it ok for you to get killed by sympathizers of the other side?

Rights are a double edged sword, as they should be. Must honor theirs or we have none either. And i refuse to go down the path of 'you have rights express yourself, but you cant do xyz beacuse we disagree with that expression'

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 03-06-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock