Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  laptop will not connect to wirless (help)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

laptop will not connect to wirless (help) by $Rich$
Started on: 02-28-2011 09:00 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 03-01-2011 09:37 PM
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
it was all good, then drops signal and i dont know how to get it to re connect
it is a netgear router,
what do i need to enter in the areas?
I had a buddy set up the wireless and i dont know crap about it

------------------
AIM:Onefast2M8
00 VW GTi VR6 -- Not stock
06 VW GTi 2.0t
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

You need the password, remember him telling you a password? Did he write it on the router, or is it on the bottom of the router?

Sometimes it's on the box that the router came in.

Brad
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You need the key to connect. Better get your buddy to tell you what he set it to.
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Ask your friend if he set it up with a password. If so,

There is a button on top of the router. press it, then your laptop will get the password and should hook up. (If you have a newer lynksis router)

barring that, unplug your router, then plug it back in. it should work then.

Or it could be a driver/software issue.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 02-28-2011).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
What Brad said. My router has a series of numbers on the bottom which is the password. I just typed that in for the password.. When my cousin's family comes down, I gave them this # and they enetered it into their computer to log on to my secure wi-fi networ.
85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
On my system the network key is the string of numbers on the bottom/back of the actual router in between the [ ] brackets....'Hope this helps.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I think I remember reading something on the Internet about router default passwords.One little problem,is,if you find this default password information on the Internet,you would need to know the brand of router.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Enter the password "Armageddon"

It will ask you if you want to play a game.

Answer is.

"Global Thermonuclear Warfare"

It should take it from there
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I think I remember reading something on the Internet about router default passwords.One little problem,is,if you find this default password information on the Internet,you would need to know the brand of router.

That's for something different. That's once you log into the router, and is for administrator stuff.

$Rich$, are you plugged into the router right now?

Brad
SkinsFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkinsFanSend a Private Message to SkinsFanDirect Link to This Post
plug laptop into router
type in 192.168.1.1
default login on netgear should be admin and pw - password
click wireless settings on the left
should give you the network name and the kind of encryption (ie wep wpa etc) as well as the password
unplug laptop
use password

hope this helps
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
thanks ill give it a whirl tonight
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
This might help.
http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html
http://www.routerpasswords.com/

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 03-01-2011).]

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
the default is on the bottom of the router

when i put it in i get this message
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Those numbers on the bottom are not the WEP key, afaics. One is the serial number of the actual router, the other is the MAC key. There should be another number, with 13 digits, which is the correct one.
This is the bottom of my router, showing everything including SSID, MAC address,

Nick
PS. by the way...once it has been connected to the router, it should remember the WEP key, and you shouldn't need to retype it in. Have you checked your 'wireless network' settings? If you click on the icon for the internet on the lower toolbar, it should list the networks avaiable, if there are more than one. It is possible the correct one you need is there still, but is not the first one the router/laptop will try to use. If that is the case, just rearrange the list so the one you need is at the top.

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 03-01-2011).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Just downloaded and read the manual for your router. The default SSID is NETGEAR and encryption is disabled, so your friend changed the SSID to RichandElisa and set up WPA encryption, which uses a password (the network key) that apparently he didn't tell you. Easiest way to fix this is to call him and ask him what he set the password is. Otherwise Try this:

get an ethernet cable and plug one end into your computer, and the other end into one of the four ports on the back (not the one the modem is plugged into). Open Internet Explorer and type this:

and press enter. If your friend didn't change the login info here, the default user name is 'admin' and the default password is 'password' (without the ' symbols, and all in lowercase). This should let you into the settings to change the wireless password.

Here's the manual:

static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/netgear-WPN824-manual.pdf

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock