Started on: 02-28-2011 12:58 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: DeLorean00 on 02-28-2011 05:18 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I had to do it to my hard drive from a nasty virus infection that just ruined everything. I spent all weekend trying to clean it out and fixing it without having to go through the trouble. Good thing I have another hard drive with all the program that I had and a portable back-up hard drive to get all the files and everything back to normal.

The nasty virus came from something called a Coupon Tool Bar. The spouse downloaded it thinking it was (as advertised) a tool bar for your browser that can search for online coupons. Turns out to be something of a Conflicker virus.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
That sucks man. I just spent the eve removing the System Tools virus from a buddies machine, a similar bit of malware that came bundled with some search bar program. Too bad you have already formatted the machine, as I found a site with instructions as to how to go about removing the infection from your machine.

http://www.exterminate-it.c...dia/remove-couponbar

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Just had one myself that took over my system. Made itself look like a spyware/malware removal tool and antivirus program/registry fixer. Took over my desktop background saying that my system was infected and to run this program to fix it. Anytime I tried to run another program (like AVG, spybot, hell, even freecell) it would say the file was corrupt, and to run the program to fix it. Rebooted to try and get it out of the memory, and nothing. Tried opening task manager to end process on anything that I didn't recognize, and I couldn't even open task manager

Ended up having to reboot into safe mode and run system restore back to a restore point from the week prior. Then ran spybot, adaware, and avg professional full system scan.

What a pain in the balls
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Just had one myself that took over my system. Made itself look like a spyware/malware removal tool and antivirus program/registry fixer. Took over my desktop background saying that my system was infected and to run this program to fix it. Anytime I tried to run another program (like AVG, spybot, hell, even freecell) it would say the file was corrupt, and to run the program to fix it. Rebooted to try and get it out of the memory, and nothing. Tried opening task manager to end process on anything that I didn't recognize, and I couldn't even open task manager

Ended up having to reboot into safe mode and run system restore back to a restore point from the week prior. Then ran spybot, adaware, and avg professional full system scan.

What a pain in the balls

This is the same System Tools 2011 that I just removed from my friends machine. It is indeed a pain in the ass!
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Forgive me I am Mac user, but I have two probably silly questions,

First off, why do people make these viruses? Is it just simply to make other peoples life hell?

And second, I have been told that Macs are nearly immune to viruses, why is that? And if a Mac can be, why can't windows?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
This is why I'll never let my future wife download anything.

Ask me first!!!
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

First off, why do people make these viruses? Is it just simply to make other peoples life hell?

And second, I have been told that Macs are nearly immune to viruses, why is that? And if a Mac can be, why can't windows?

Short answer? People hate Microsuck (the evil corporate giant that releases OS's before they are near even ready for public)

At least that's my opinion on it. Preferably I'd like to run *Nix, but most of my software is incompatible with it, and I don't feel like going through the headache of setting up VMWare, etc.

Originally posted by theBDub:

This is why I'll never let my future wife download anything.

Ask me first!!!

No, that's why she gets her own PC. That way if she d*cks it up, its her own damn fault and she can pay to fix it (even though I can do it for free, but its the principle of the matter)

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 02-28-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

If anyone more knowledgeable can say differently, please do, but as far as my knowledge extends, companies will hire some people to create these programs because they can steal information, or other programs simply overload your computer with tons of ads. In either case, revenue can be generated for the guy on the other end.

Macs aren't impervious to viruses, but a much smaller population of the world uses Macs, so it's smarter to create the virus for a larger "customer" base.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

No, that's why she gets her own PC. That way if she d*cks it up, its her own damn fault and she can pay to fix it (even though I can do it for free, but its the principle of the matter)

I remember Dell trying to charge me something around $200 to clean my computer (I had insurance, so I called... little did I know I only had hardware insurance). I just said screw that and took care of it myself. It honestly was the hardest piece of crap I've ever had to get off of my computer, but nothing is permanent.

And the way I look at it, is just always make sure you have your work related files on another source, so if anything goes completely wrong, you can just reinstall the OS. It only takes a couple hours and you get a completely fresh start. Sometimes I do it just for the hell of it.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

That sucks man. I just spent the eve removing the System Tools virus from a buddies machine, a similar bit of malware that came bundled with some search bar program. Too bad you have already formatted the machine, as I found a site with instructions as to how to go about removing the infection from your machine.

http://www.exterminate-it.c...dia/remove-couponbar

Oh Believe me! I tried! But it hid itself as the svhost file.

It's alright though. Because I was still on XP. But after cleaning things up, backing everything up, formatting, I installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

Dang! Is it sweet and extremely fast. LOVE IT!

Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I spent several hours this weekend cleaning up a family members (in-law) computer. What started it all was Antivira AV and it snowballed from there. Odd thing I suppose, but I've never had a virus or malware that I'm aware of.
PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Actually, the reasons for MOST viruses are monetary. They can make a LOT of money from viruses in several different ways. The virus that was encountered in this thread, Is known in the industry as Trojan.Fake.AV. This particular virus is run by the Russian Mafia. Has been for nearly 8 years in one form or another. It is also one of their most profitable ventures. They even have an affiliate network set up, so that you can put one of their infected ads on your web page. You can get kick backs for every computer you infect. It is all done under the guise of ad sharing.

How do they make money with this? Several way.

Method #1 is very simple... Ransom. Eventually Trojan.Fake.AV sends you to a page, telling you that you are infected.. and for the low low price of $49.95, this software will remove it for you.
Lots of people fall for this and pay, with a credit card. At that point, they have your CC info AND a purchase Authorization number. They then use that number to max out your card. But the virus remains.

Method #2 is Ad revenue. Say they make 1 penny for every ad they make you view. Not a lot. But when you consider they have at the least 300,000 infected computers... more likely around 3,000,000 of them... It all adds up.

Method #3 is key logging. The virus logs all of your key strokes to a text file. a couple times a day, that text file is sent back to them. If you type in a password, they have it. If you type in bank info, they have that too!!!

Method #4 is history and cache theft. The same devices that capture your keystrokes, also combs your computer for information it has saved. Most of the time, you don't ever think about it, but your computer likely has ALL of your important passwords, account numbers, social security numbers and everything else SAVED. When you tell your computer to remember passwords, they are saved and retrievable. Same goes for all that Auto Fill info we use in our browsers... You know.. how it remembers your address, account names etc etc etc... Well trained professionals like myself and hackers them them, can recover that data... VERY easily! With all of that data, it is then easy to steal your identity and drain your bank accounts.

These 4 methods are ALL deployed by this one virus.

As for why Macs are "currently" mostly immune to viruses.... They do not hold a large enough market share to be useful to hackers. However, that is rapidly changing. Macs are no longer the oddball cousin to the PC that is spoken of in whispers, by anyone but the artistic of the family... Mac has become a serious contender in the home computer market.. And with that.. a renewed interest in them from the hackers and E-Thugs has taken place. There are currently about 36 known Mac Viruses running in the wild. However, the majority of them are still pretty rare in the wild. But they are growing in numbers. I predict within a couple years, Macs will have just as much troubles as the PC are having now.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
iPads and iPods will be the next target, along with smart phones.

Some of these are hard to avoid, as all you have to do is download a file to your machine and POOF, infected. This could happen to a Mac or any other machine, if the software was designed to run on it. Macs are just so few in number, that it isn't worth the effort to create a virus for it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Probably a repeate here of what everyone else says...

In the entire world, less than 10% of the computing population uses Macintosh computers. The rest use IBM / PC clones (to use an old term). And the vast majority of those use Microsoft.

Must be frustrating for people like in Iran who hate America, and yet are forced to use the Arabic install of Microsoft Windows.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

iPads and iPods will be the next target, along with smart phones.

Droids already have a virus following...

iPads and iPhones will not and can not get a virus in their stock non jail broken form, due to that tight security and lock down that everyone always complains about The lack of ability to "root" the iPhone, unless jail broken, is exactly what stops it from being able to get a virus. Now I am not saying it is COMPLETELY impossible, but it is highly unlikely. Droids on the other hand can be rooted, so a malicious app can be designed to gain administrative access to your phones system files and has been.

Now Jail broken iPhones and iPads... are possibly a different story. However, the couple of malicious hacks that have happened so far, were still easily avoidable by changing the default root password of the iDevices from alpine, to anything else. Once you do that, you have essentially locked down your "root" or administrative access again. It is theoretically possible to "brute force" hack the password, by using dictionary lists of words and symbols... But this isn't the movies. It does not take minutes to do.. it takes hours, days and weeks to crack passwords in this manner.

So essentially, even a jail broken iDevice is virtually, currently, hack proof. If you just change your password!
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the best way to rid yourself of a virus is:
physicaly remove the hard drive
connect with a USB adapter to another computer
do NOT allow it to autorun
scan/clean virus's
repeat until scan finishes clean
re-install drive to computer
done

this works so nicely because none of the drives file get loaded/opened, so all can be fully scanned & cleaned
a generic USB adapter is $20

and, Windows is easier to make virus's for because it has a HUGE hardware base, so the software must be more modular. And, Windows has many many levels of security, and most people only use the bottom end, which is vulnerable. I have 3 Macs in this office, and all 3 run one program: Parallels. Maybe Macs dont get vrisus's because Macs cant do squat. Well, browse webpages & do email - WOW. just razzin - I know they can do more - it just seems the ones I see dont....
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

It is theoretically possible to "brute force" hack the password, by using dictionary lists of words and symbols... But this isn't the movies. It does not take minutes to do.. it takes hours, days and weeks to crack passwords in this manner.

This is generally true, but the balance of power is changing constantly. Using "rainbow tables" on a fast computer, a computer forensics investigator can crack most simple passwords in a matter of hours.

Hint: On a Windows machine, if your password is less than eight characters long it is much easier to crack. In some ways it's more like two short passwords rather than a single long password. This is because Micro$oft treats passwords as two independent 7-character fields concatenated. The first thing that a computer forensics investigator or hacker will check is to see if the second field is all blanks.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-28-2011).]

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:
As for why Macs are "currently" mostly immune to viruses.... They do not hold a large enough market share to be useful to hackers. However, that is rapidly changing. Macs are no longer the oddball cousin to the PC that is spoken of in whispers, by anyone but the artistic of the family... Mac has become a serious contender in the home computer market.. And with that.. a renewed interest in them from the hackers and E-Thugs has taken place. There are currently about 36 known Mac Viruses running in the wild. However, the majority of them are still pretty rare in the wild. But they are growing in numbers. I predict within a couple years, Macs will have just as much troubles as the PC are having now.

I was just reading about this today on slashdot

http://apple.slashdot.org/s...ed-To-Mac-OS?from=fb
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
THANKS EVERYONE!

I read everyone's post I feel much more informed now. I felt kinda silly asking the question in the first place.

And sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

"+" To everyone!!

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 02-28-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock