Started on: 02-24-2011 09:41 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 02-24-2011 03:03 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I'm sad, I'm bummed... but the realization hit for me that I've got 5 cars already, and there's no way I'm going to have the time and / or money to pick up a 6th car that will actually end up using the motor.

It's a 1969 Oldsmobile 455 big block that's been punched out to a 468. It's never been broken in since I got it back from the machine shop.

- 10.25:1 compression
- .030 overbore TRW Forged pistons
- Forged rods
- nodular crank
- "C" Heads, same ones used on the 68 Hurst / Olds
- I have larger intake valves installed on mine, 2.07:1 and 1.72:1 exhaust.
- Crane GOLD roller rockers (1.6:1)
- Joe Mondello 2022 cam (power-band is midrange like the Fiero's V6)
- 1970 850cfm Rochester QuadraJet (remanufactured and tuned for this configuration)
- MSD HEI Distributor
- Cloyes roller timing chain
- new fuel pump
- new oil pump
- ARP fasteners all throughout the block.
- crank scraper
- rotating assembly balanced to within half a gram.

Oh yeah, most important part... the hp for this combination is rated around 400-430hp and about 550-575ft-lbs of torque. Mine hasn't been dynoed (hasn't even been broken in) so I don't know, but based on the configuration (it's a typical high-output rebuild using stock block and heads) that's what others are getting.

Here it is:

I'm not sure what to ask for it... but I'm willing to make a trade. I'd be interested in a fully functional 3.4 V6/60, with clutch, and a 5-Speed getrag engine / transmission combination, with under 75,000 miles. I'll be putting it in my 87 Fiero.

Thanks guys...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 02-24-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm going to sell my body.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!
After 45 minutes on being on hold, that's the funniest thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Nice engine.

Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Does that have anything to do with this? Or is that something totally off topic you just wanted to point out?
Besides, that engine is worth a lot more than you'd get...
(Or any of the rest of us for that matter)
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

I'll give ya 3 bucks for the liver and 1.99 for the lungs............sooner or later I am gonna need those swapped out.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Does that have anything to do with this? Or is that something totally off topic you just wanted to point out?
Besides, that engine is worth a lot more than you'd get...
(Or any of the rest of us for that matter)

I know... that's what sucks. I probably spent more than I should. I only paid $250 for the original engine. It was pulled from a full size Delta-98 Royale. It was literally covered in about 3"s of caked on grease. I blew about $1,500 on new parts, and spent another $5,200 on machine shop costs... hahah... I know, WTF, right?

The guy used all the latest technology... the motor is supposed to be able to spin up to 6,500 rpms safely... although stops making power past 5,800 according to the cam card spec sheet.

It's a real sick motor...

For anyone who knows a little bit about Olds Motors... the most sought after "stock" heads are the "C" heads, specifically the 68 Hurst / Olds heads. The early 69 full size vehicles and the 442 (in 69) got the same heads, the only difference on the early 69 full sized vehicles is that the valves were smaller, but the heads were the same casting and therefore had the same sized intake and exhaust ports. I had my valves bored out to 68 H/O spec, but then went slightly oversized on the intake port (largest I could go before it would interfere with the exhaust ports. I used stainless steel swirl-port valves from Mahle or whatever it was (german company).

Realistically, I think I'd be lucky to get $2,500 bucks... which kind of sucks.

Not to mention that I also spent another $500 creating those custom valve covers with the wire loom adaptors that are remeniscent from the mid-50s Olds small-block (did it all myself).

So yeah... it's one of those things... maybe just cut my losses? Or do I keep it in storage for the next decade?

Oh yeah, I also had the machine shop do a full port and polish of the intake and exhaust ports (as however they would do if it was their own motor. Some places they left rough for better fuel atomization, and other places they made mirror-finish. The exhuast ports they cleaned up, but left the top the same, but lowered the bottom of the exhaust port for some reason.

------------------
Todd,

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
Were it me...unless I needed the money, or the space, I'd keep it. Some day you'll find something to stuff it into and it'll suck if it's not there anymore when you do!
If something is worth more to me than it is to somewone else (aka "I paid more for it than I'd get"), I'd rather keep it.
Eitehr that, or the buyer would have to be someone I knew and liked, knowing it would go to a good home.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Dam I wish I had seen this when PHD was here with her kids this morning. She is the one with the husband who is restoring a 69 H/O. Not sure what he has in it for a motor but I would sure love to put that in my Burban. And my body ain’t worth as much as the rest on here. So that is out, I will send this to her in an email and have her ask her husband.

Oh never mind Melanie said he already has a motor. But you never can have to much power. So I will mention it to him, you know us guys can never have enough power. He is shipping out to Las Vegas sometime soon, I still say he is going to area 51. Commander of some sort.

Dam I bet that would spin all 4 wheels in Melanie’s Burb. I wonder if it would fit? 94 GMC Burban 4x4.

Ah just dreaming. Good luck selling that, I have to wonder about shipping something like that, I know UPS and most of the others will not ship something that heavy so it would probably have to be one of the freight companies and they get expensive.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I know... that's what sucks. I probably spent more than I should. I only paid $250 for the original engine. It was pulled from a full size Delta-98 Royale. It was literally covered in about 3"s of caked on grease. I blew about $1,500 on new parts, and spent another $5,200 on machine shop costs... hahah... I know, WTF, right?

WTF were you smoking when you did that? I want some of that stuff.
Does the wife know you put almost 7 grand in that?
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-24-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Dam I wish I had seen this when PHD was here with her kids this morning. She is the one with the husband who is restoring a 69 H/O. Not sure what he has in it for a motor but I would sure love to put that in my Burban. And my body ain’t worth as much as the rest on here. So that is out, I will send this to her in an email and have her ask her husband.

Oh never mind Melanie said he already has a motor. But you never can have to much power. So I will mention it to him, you know us guys can never have enough power. He is shipping out to Las Vegas sometime soon, I still say he is going to area 51. Commander of some sort.

Dam I bet that would spin all 4 wheels in Melanie’s Burb. I wonder if it would fit? 94 GMC Burban 4x4.

Ah just dreaming. Good luck selling that, I have to wonder about shipping something like that, I know UPS and most of the others will not ship something that heavy so it would probably have to be one of the freight companies and they get expensive.

Steve

Well, I also have a Th-400 that it can come with. it's got the BOP pattern and also has that removable tail-shaft piece you were telling me about that's kind of rare. So I'm guessing you could probably fit it RIGHT into your Suburban. All you'd need would be Oldsmobile 403 motor mounts from a 1978-1981 Pontiac TransAm, and you'd be able to drop it right in there with the Th-400 that I have. The Th-400 also came from the Delta-98, and had the towing package. I don't remember what gear ratio it has, but the final drive of the car was something like 3.98:1 or something like that... but the first and second gear were supposed to be taller (or whatever means more aggressive).

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

WTF were you smoking when you did that? I want some of that stuff.
Does the wife know you put almost 7 grand in that?
Steve

Yeah, she knows... but that's part of the reason I married her. I also didn't have a daughter back then either. As long as the bills are getting paid, and there's no debt, we do whatever we want. That said, I'm now several years older, and at that age when a young adult starts to put two and two together and things much more long-term than he or she did when they were 25. I've always been saving for a retirement, but now priorities have set in and I kind of wonder why I would keep this.

Still not sure...

------------------
Todd,

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
I have a left nut and/or a right kidney you can have on trade.

If those aren't good enough, I'm just gonna have to wish you good luck on the sale. I would love to convert my 'bu to RWD and drop this sucker in there. Would make a hell of a sleeper. LMAO.
PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Huh, and I was thinking how now is a good time to buy a slave. Good strong back?

I have been renting my body and knowledge for over 26 years. I got a lot more for it than a straight sale would of ever got. Think about proper marketing.

If there is a decent place to store it, it might be worth waiting, cars come and go. Will that bolt into a Trans AM?

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Huh, and I was thinking how now is a good time to buy a slave. Good strong back?

I have been renting my body and knowledge for over 26 years. I got a lot more for it than a straight sale would of ever got. Think about proper marketing.

If there is a decent place to store it, it might be worth waiting, cars come and go. Will that bolt into a Trans AM?

That was actually my original plan. It is a "DIRECT" replacement for a 2nd gen TransAm with an Olds 403 in it. The 403 and big blocks had the same design, so everything bolts up, the only thing different about the big blocks are the deck height. Even the accessory bolt locations are the same, and all the accessory brackets from the 403 motor in a TransAm will bolt directly up to the big block. It's like a Fiero 3.4 swap... in so many words.

The only thing you need to do, to clear the hood... is to use a Toronado intake (lower profile). And... that's what this Olds 455 has on it now. It's got a 1971 Oldsmobile HO Toronado "K" intake.

I had an 81 TransAm that I was restoring, and this was going to go into it. Although it will bolt up to the Th-350 that's already in the 2nd gen... you really want it on a Th-400 because quite honestly... anything less than a built Th-400 and you're just on borrowed time. These new LS motors out there today put out a lot of horsepower... but this motor basically dumps 600 ft-lbs of torque right off idle... anything but the strongest transmission would just simply get destroyed.

EDIT: to say that some of the brackets lap-over the fancy valve covers I made, so either you'd want to get rid of my fancy valve-covers... or modify the brackets.

------------------
Todd,

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I'll give ya 3 bucks for the liver and 1.99 for the lungs............sooner or later I am gonna need those swapped out.

They're probably good breaded and deep fried too.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Put it in your Fiero.... Who cares if it pretzels? Plus, if you are fast enough in the straights, you don't need handling... hahaha..

Seriously though,

put it in this

http://chicago.craigslist.o.../cto/2225618455.html

or

http://tampa.craigslist.org.../cto/2161283917.html
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I had an 81 TransAm that I was restoring, and this was going to go into it.

hmmm I would have guessed that you were restoring an 82...

Beautiful engine though, and the only reason I would sell it would be to see it in a car and in use.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

hmmm I would have guessed that you were restoring an 82...

Beautiful engine though, and the only reason I would sell it would be to see it in a car and in use.

Hah, I also used to have an 82 T/A... and then ended up junking it. Long story short... I didn't know jack about cars, and somehow ended up with an old recaro edition 82 T/A with the CFI LU5 engine. I junked it because I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I was moving into an apartment... it was pretty rare, and it even ran... oh well.

Later on, I was looking for an 82 TransAm, and someone had advertised an 81 as an 82 because 82 was the cut-off year for the online auto trader (at that time). I never thought of getting a 2nd gen because they were so expensive, but I drove up there to check it out and I had to have it.

So then I restored the whole body, rebuilt the entire suspension, and then sold it when my daughter was born.

------------------
Todd,

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors