Started on: 02-17-2011 10:31 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Xerces_Blackthorne on 02-19-2011 01:51 PM
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
So, do we have any MMA fighters/students here? Looking for some tips etc. Just finished my first class tonight and I'm friggin' beat lol. 2 hours and I'm ready to pass out cold

Didn't realize how out of shape I really am
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ICCAMDFIERO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIERODirect Link to This Post
Did it for a while not so much any more.. you def. need to be in great shape!

What are you looking to learn? its kinda hard to explain things not in person

[This message has been edited by ICCAMDFIERO (edited 02-17-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Heh, found out tonight that I need to get into shape better

The guy that is teaching the class is Tim Stratton. From what I understand he is a n IFC pro black belt in MMA with a lot of background in Brazilian Jujitsu and Tae Kwon Do.

Basically looking to learn anything and everything I can. I want to find what suits my body type best, and what works best since I have flat feet. I don't intend on getting into cage fighting, but I still want to learn as much as possible for the practical application should I ever need to use the training in self defense (I.E., when I can't/don't CCW, or when I run out of ammo )
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Heh, found out tonight that I need to get into shape better

The guy that is teaching the class is Tim Stratton. From what I understand he is a n IFC pro black belt in MMA with a lot of background in Brazilian Jujitsu and Tae Kwon Do.

Basically looking to learn anything and everything I can. I want to find what suits my body type best, and what works best since I have flat feet. I don't intend on getting into cage fighting, but I still want to learn as much as possible for the practical application should I ever need to use the training in self defense (I.E., when I can't/don't CCW, or when I run out of ammo )

I didn't know MMA had gotten so organized they gave belts out. Usually the belts come from the different disciplines within MMA.

I agree with your practical application theory. It helps to learn how to handle yourself in a fight. I found that the more I sparred and kickboxed, the less getting punched in the face came as a shock or surprise. I was able to shrug off pain and swelling and keep on my opponent. It didn't hurt that I could kick a guy so hard his liver thought he was drinking.

I'm not an MMA fighter or student but I enjoy martial arts and like watching MMA for the most part.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I've been taking traditional martial arts for almost 2 years. I enjoy it because my son and I take classes together and we get to spend some quality time together kicking each other in the ribs.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

I didn't know MMA had gotten so organized they gave belts out. Usually the belts come from the different disciplines within MMA.

I agree with your practical application theory. It helps to learn how to handle yourself in a fight. I found that the more I sparred and kickboxed, the less getting punched in the face came as a shock or surprise. I was able to shrug off pain and swelling and keep on my opponent. It didn't hurt that I could kick a guy so hard his liver thought he was drinking.

I'm not an MMA fighter or student but I enjoy martial arts and like watching MMA for the most part.

I watched 2 classes prior to going in to train tonight for my first class. It seems to come somewhat natural I noticed tonight. We did ground fighting stuff (something called a hip bump?) and I had all the stuff down pretty well by my third try. And I noticed that I was tending to think ahead about 3-4 steps looking for other ways to execute moves. Which from what I was told is a very good thing later on but for right now I need to focus on one step at a time.

Good way to get back into shape though And I did notice that after I left I didn't have the desire to smoke at all (although I still did).
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
MMA is just that, mixed martial arts. You might benefit from watching classes of Tae Kwon-do, Ju Jitsu, BJJ, Kempo, Karate, things like that. If you watch all of the styles you will find out what you want to learn and which styles suit you better. A total MMA class is great but you wont get the experience you can get from a dedicated martial arts class of any kind. I hold a first degree black belt in Tae Kwon-do, that was my first martial arts experience and I dont regret it one bit. I have also taken various classes in other martial arts as well and would love to become a true MMA practitioner.

When I was in Tae Kwon-do we used to have a few guys come in for a month or two at a time who were travelling the world learning martial arts of all kinds. I believe the guys who kept coming back that I got to know pretty well were from Norway, I always wondered what happened to them as they seemed very dedicated to MMA and devoted their whole lives to it.

Each type of martial art is going to have its own emphasis on certain things, some are better for self defense, some are better for aerobic workout (I dont mean aerobics like in spandex, some are very fast paced and give you a good workout) some are better for street fighting, some for grappling etc. My Tae Kwon-do was heavy on self defense and discipline. There are also different kinds of certain martial arts, for instance I was in the USTF (United States Tae Kwon-do federation) also associated with the ITF (International ........) and we were very different from the WTF (World ..........). Each one is going to give you a unique experience which is why I suggested sitting in or participation in a few classes of each kind you can find in your area.

-Joe
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I really WANTED to, but my back would never forgive me. Or my wife.

I have a friend who does MMA.. Terry "The Executioner" Tipton.. I designed his logo and tshirt for him, thats as close as I'll get. Terry is not necessarily a good fighter, but he is scrappy.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 02-18-2011).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
For like a week. Dude put me in a arm bar and I tapped and he did not let up. I ended up head butting him and walking off.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Joe I've already been looking into other disciplines. We have a place right across the street from where I am training now that teaches To Shin Do (called Inner Power Dojo) that I plan to look into. But I'm thinking I am pretty well set on MMA (for the moment at least) since it covers multiple techniques and allows me to find the tactics that work best for me easier (and there is no cookie cutter belt bs to deal with either, although I can test for belts if I really want to)...I'd love to do some Krav Maga and SAMBO training as well (Krav for weapon disarms and whatnot, SAMBO for ground fighting techniques). Maybe even try my hand at Savate. Who knows?

tbone, I hear ya on the back issues. I have flat feet and knee problems, as well as planar fascitis stemming from the flat feet. Last night was a nice wake up call, and needless to say I'll be training around my weaknesses.

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 02-18-2011).]

FriendGregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
Used to fight well before I heard of MMA. A single discipline martial art is weak to someone that can change tactics on the fly. I really like watching MMA because I can see just how unskilled many that I fought were.

"I tapped and he did not let up." That kind of crap is a big no-no, any sign of compliance and it is supposed to be done. Be a gentleman! Imagine being in a group of 30 to 60 guys that half could pick up the rear of a pickup by himself to get it out of the way. Come to think of it, I do not think that anyone that fought was over 30( at least did not look to be). Testosterone is a crazy drug, I even asked a doctor if he had something that could reduce mine. That was after I punched threw a guys window, pulled him as far out of the car as the seat belt allowed and demanded he "learn to ****in drive you mother*****r".
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2011 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

, or when I run out of ammo )

The cure for THAT isnt MMA....it is to carry more ammo !!!!!

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

HA!
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIERODirect Link to This Post
Great to hear your enjoying it. Thinking multiple steps ahead is a great instinct for MMA. In my opinion the key thing I would focus on is your ground game, thats were most of your fights are going to take you anyways. Look at almost all your profesional fighters the great ones all are amazing a jujitsu. The best example of that is kimbo. He has heavy hands and can knock you out but as soon as he got in the ring with a trained jujitsu fighter he gat his ass beast. I'd say one good thing to work on for ground game is the "death mount". It is when you are in your aponents gaurd. What you want to do is keep your hips low to the ground, and you will be keeping your body tight to him. Then your going to have one of your hands facing down to the ground wraped behind his head. With your shoulder of the arm behind his head you are going to push his chin down to the ground towards your other arm, that arm will be sprawled out far and your forhead will be on the mat. This is a great safe position when you are in someones gaurd. The only way they can role you is towards your sprawled out arm and head which is there to suport you like a kickstand to keep you from being taken. As long as you have your apoinents chin pushed down facing your sprawled out hand he will not be able to role you towards your arm behind his head because he would brake his own neck. TRY IT! It is def. a great and key move I was training. But mat time is key. The more your in those situations the easier it is to know what to do. Sometimes take your time and dont rush things, think and try new things. There are certain moves that i myself can say that I was known for with people I trained with, and even though they knew it was coming I would still almost always get them to work there way into the trap. -- Greg
bristowb

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
19+ years of Kick Boxing, Combat Ju Jitsu, and Karate, Kung Fu. Pick a style that you like. Stick with it. no one style is better than the other. It's all about mastering your style and being the best at it. MMA is to purist like myself is a glorified wrestling match like you see on TV. Befor anyone says anything. My 8 years of training Combat Ju Jitsu is very similar to the Gracie system. I can and have done it. Its tough, it's hard. I Just prefer my Kung Fu training better. I can utilize my sourounding in a combat situation better. I am also trained in staff, swords and knives.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Agreed, but guns can jam, knives/bats/clubs, etc can be dropped. What then?

I plan to do some Muay Thai as well (which is a big part of my MMA stuff I'm doing now). Essentially what I am doing is following Col. Akula's Fang and Claw series and starting with MMA since it covers a broad scope of disciplines.

As for the comment about the fights ending up on the ground, I have to disagree to a point. The only time a fight will end up on the ground with grappling involved is against a single attacker. Under NO circumstances should you EVER take a fight to the ground against multiple attackers. I did notice though last night that I am better with my ground techniques than my striking techniques. I have an odd COG, and finding a stance that lets me throw all my weight is proving tough. Problem is I have flat feet, which really screws my balance up. I can't stay on the balls of my feet at all times, so I've found that leaving my rear foot flat for balance and my lead foot on the balls seems to work best. In a somewhat more open stand than a boxer, but not quite as open as a Muay Thai fighter. Again, I don't intend on cage fighting, so its not a big deal really.

Got another class tomorrow morning, if I can get out of bed before 8 am My body done doesn't like me right now my ankles and the bottom of my calves are sore as hell Good thing though, right? Hehe

I've dealt with some of the Gracie system stuff before, just didn't suit me. I have a friend back home who ran/runs a dojo and is a Grand Master in Tae Kwon Do (AFAIK anyway, he has the title of Sifu) and was hooked up with one of the younger Gracie's for a short period of time before a falling out occurred (the Gracies wanted to try and tell him how he should and shouldn't teach his Tae Kwon Do students and how he should run his business from what I was told).
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIERODirect Link to This Post
I do agree that if you have multiple attackers you would never want to go to the ground. Though I was speeking in more of an match stand point.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2011 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

For like a week. Dude put me in a arm bar and I tapped and he did not let up. I ended up head butting him and walking off.

Riveting tale, old chap!
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICCAMDFIERO:

I do agree that if you have multiple attackers you would never want to go to the ground. Though I was speeking in more of an match stand point.

Ah, ok. Wasn't sure on that. I don't intend on going into cage matches. Most I'll ever do is club sparring, and that won't be for quite a long time.

Second class down today, picked up more stand up. Did some basic combo punches Thursday and worked on them more today, got em down. Started kicks today by request to my coach, and had them down in 10 minutes Coach says I am a natural and one of the easiest people he's ever trained I asked him to show me a lead leg thai kick and he did. He explained that you have to do a quick 2 step and no one ever gets in on the first try. I did I love this sheisse! I think I will probably be signing up for classes after my free classes are up

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock