Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Quite a difference in Performance! (PC Nerd stuff)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Quite a difference in Performance! (PC Nerd stuff) by N3M3S1S
Started on: 02-17-2011 01:27 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: faaaaq on 02-28-2011 07:39 PM
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Old system specs:
Win XP w/ SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8ghz(OC'd to 3ghz stable)
4 gigs of Gskill DDR2-1066 ram
Asus P5K-Pro Motherboard
XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX Edition
2x 320gb Seagate Barracudas
Antec NeoPower 550w PSU
Antec Nine Hundred ATX case

Now don't get me wrong, that PC was no slouch and served me well for yeaaarrssss(much longer than I've let any other PC stay in one piece for!). But the difference in power in this rebuild is amazing. It's really hard to describe.. It just.. Kicks ass!

New specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition (3.2ghz stock, 2 cores. Was able to unlock to a quad core.)
8gig Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-12800(Can you tell I like Gskill?)
Gigabyte 870A-UD3 AM3 MB
Asus GeForce GTX 460 OC'd Edition
3x 320gb Seagate Barracudas
Corsair 750w PSU
Same Antec Case

My old PC did well with graphic intensive games like GTA4, Crysis, Bad Company 2, etc, but this computer obliterates them even at 1980 x 1024 resolution. Old PC averaged about 30fps on those games with the same resolution and lower gfx settings. This one everything gets maxed out with 80+ fps all over the place. I am very very happy. My gf has been dealing with me nerding out all night.

Anyone else update an aging rig lately?

[This message has been edited by N3M3S1S (edited 02-17-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
...bought a new case...? lol. need more ram tho. only running 3 gigs. thinking about getting 6gigs from newegg for $50 but i need a car first. need a new mobo to overclock my q6600. i hear i can hit at least 3ghz with the stock fan. wishing i could get an Origin PC with either the 4.6ghz SIX core or the 5+ghz quad core
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Psshhh, don't ya know Scott? Its not the specs of the PC that matter, its how ya use it I thought you had first hand experience on that matter with BoH

On topic though: I'm due for a new system. Unfortunately I've come to like laptops better than desktops these days, and since no one makes a desktop replacement laptop that is fully (I.E., completely) customizable, I'm stuck with a new desktop build. And if I do that, I'm doing it properly (going big server tower anyone?) Plans are to run the fastest available 6 core Phenom proc on an Asus board, 16 gb OCZ platinum DDR3 ram, dual GForce cards in SLI setup (shooting for 1gb each cards), 4x 1.5tb sata drives in raid array, all stuffed inside my old K7N8X Athlon 3000XP tower (after I gut the hell outta it of course) with blu ray combo drive. All powered by a 1000w PSU. Liquid cooling, etc. All the bells and whistles. Looking to build something that will last me the next 10 years at least. I figure with specs like this, 10 years down the line it'll be in line with the current widely available desktops (mass market crap). But for the next 3-4 years it would make one helluva server

Ironic though that while you guys are running stuff with all this hardware, my 7 year old HP laptop is still more than enough to handle most of the stuff you guys are running And its only a 1.7 ghz Athlon Turion with 2 gb ram and crap onboard ATI video (dedicated 16mb, can share out another 128mb). I threw WoW at it and it played great...need to upgrade the hdd's though. 160gb between 2 drives isn't quite cutting it. Need a couple 320's (on the list, couple weeks yet). Unfortunately once that is done the laptop is maxed. Looking at a new Turion II based (desktop replacement) laptop from Sony, and an HP business class I7 core desktop replacement laptop.

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 02-17-2011).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I'm not home enough to update my old rig... I never get to use it.

Thinking about buying an Asus G73 laptop, though. Got to play with one and I really liked it.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Psshhh, don't ya know Scott? Its not the specs of the PC that matter, its how ya use it I thought you had first hand experience on that matter with BoH

On topic though: I'm due for a new system. Unfortunately I've come to like laptops better than desktops these days, and since no one makes a desktop replacement laptop that is fully (I.E., completely) customizable, I'm stuck with a new desktop build. And if I do that, I'm doing it properly (going big server tower anyone?) Plans are to run the fastest available 6 core Phenom proc on an Asus board, 16 gb OCZ platinum DDR3 ram, dual GForce cards in SLI setup (shooting for 1gb each cards), 4x 1.5tb sata drives in raid array, all stuffed inside my old K7N8X Athlon 3000XP tower (after I gut the hell outta it of course) with blu ray combo drive. All powered by a 1000w PSU. Liquid cooling, etc. All the bells and whistles. Looking to build something that will last me the next 10 years at least. I figure with specs like this, 10 years down the line it'll be in line with the current widely available desktops (mass market crap). But for the next 3-4 years it would make one helluva server

Ironic though that while you guys are running stuff with all this hardware, my 7 year old HP laptop is still more than enough to handle most of the stuff you guys are running And its only a 1.7 ghz Athlon Turion with 2 gb ram and crap onboard ATI video (dedicated 16mb, can share out another 128mb). I threw WoW at it and it played great...need to upgrade the hdd's though. 160gb between 2 drives isn't quite cutting it. Need a couple 320's (on the list, couple weeks yet). Unfortunately once that is done the laptop is maxed. Looking at a new Turion II based (desktop replacement) laptop from Sony, and an HP business class I7 core desktop replacement laptop.

Goin big, eh?

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX HD-597X-ENFN Radeon HD 5970 BLACK 4GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card x2

Thermaltake Toughpower TP-1350M 1350W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor*

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V10 Hybrid TEC RR-B2P-UV10-GP 120mm CPU Cooler

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1CCA 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

AeroCool FP-01 55-in-1 Card Reader w/Flip-up LCD Screen

All of that crammed into a AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 Black SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Go big or stay home. (No, I don't actually have this system, as the price tag is somewhere in the realm of HOLY HELL WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.[$7,500])

*Yes, I know it's only a quad core, but AFAIK, there's nothing software wise that's designed to properly utilize 6 cores. When that happens, I'll upgrade to a 6 core, but until then, I'm gonna run a quad.

On topic though: That's a nice upgrade N3M3S1S, I'm going to be doing something similar to my dads computer here in the next month or so. His is going to be a quasi budget build. Except he's only getting 2 HD's, and upping it to 16GB memory and a Phenom II x4 970 BE.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
something I am meaning to do
my main home PC isnt even a dual core....its just a P4 w/hyperthreading....YAY
and FX6200 (AGP) graphics WOW

but - its does what it needs to do: stream Hulu & Netflix, which it does just barely
ANY little item running in the background will make Hulu (flash video) jumpy (1300x768 display)
also - dual display - the 2nd is a FX5200 (PCI) running at 1024x768, which is so I can keep a browser open on the side while watching TV

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I just recently made some upgrades to my desktop system... nothing really drastic, but the computer does seem to run games and apps better. Here's what I started with:

Motherboard: Asus M2N-E
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 5400+
RAM: 4GB PC2-6400
Video: Geforce 9600GT
Hard Drive: WD 160GB SATA
Optical Drive: Samsung IDE DVD-RW
Monitor: Generic 19" LCD
PSU: Coolmax 500W
Case: Lian Li PC-A16B

I upgraded the following components:

Video: Geforce GTS250
Hard Drive: WD 750GB SATA
Optical Drive: Asus SATA DVD-RW
Monitors: Acer 23" LCD plus Dell 17" LCD

After replacing the DVD-RW drive, my computer no longer has any ribbon cables in it. I haven't had a floppy drive in years. And the existing drives use SATA cables.

According to the Windows Experience Index, my weakest component is currently the hard drive. I'm thinking of getting a SSD to use as the boot drive, while keeping the 750GB drive for data storage. The next weakest component is the CPU. I'll probably replace that with a quad-core chip.

Oddly enough, my old DDR2 RAM gets a high score in the Windows Experience Index (7.1), which is kinda funny since it's only running at 800MHz. It's also the highest scoring component in the computer. The video comes in at 6.9, with the CPU at 6.3 and the hard drive at 5.9.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I'm not home enough to update my old rig... I never get to use it.

Thinking about buying an Asus G73 laptop, though. Got to play with one and I really liked it.

I LOVE mine. I went with the version with the 460M. The ATI apparently had heating issues. I spent I think $1500 on it. I kind of wish I would have bought this instead though. $500 is a lot of clams.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
My 6 year old nForce 680i with Q6600 is still running strong. I have upgraded the OS hard drives and graphics cards but it is still the same MB, memory and CPU as I originally bought back then. It can still run the latest FPS at the highest settings. Most games are much more graphics intensive than processor intensive. As long as you have fast drives and graphics, then even and old Q6600 is more than enough power to run them.

I may be upgrading it soon. Intel finally came out with their next generation processor. I am still on the fence since it does not look like that much of a increase in power.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I have four systems at home, one of which is being decommissioned.

My primary system has:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU with the fourth core unlocked.
8 Gigs of DDR3
64GB Sandforce based SSD boot/OS drive
1TB Western Digital Black Edition storage drive
320 GB WD Black Edition 7200 RPM 2.5" game drive
nVidia GTS250 1GB graphics card
7900GT secondary graphics card for the third display
650 watt modular PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

More than ample for my uses.

My HTPC has:
AMD Phenom II X2 555 with the two additional cores unlocked (Quad core)
6GB (2x1024 and 2x2048 sticks) DDR3
40 Gig Intel SSD boot/OS drive
500MB WD Black Edition storage/recording drive
Hauppauge PVR150-MCE tuner card (not really used)
ATi Radeon HD 5750 video card
BluRay drive
650 watt PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
The system bitstreams over a single HDMI cable to my home theater receiver... LOVE LOVE LOVE it...

My new file server, which just replaced the old on has:
AMD Phenom II X2 560, with the two additional cores unlocked (Quad Core)
16GB DDR3
Storage currently consists of:
4x 1TB WD Blue hard drives
1x 2TB Seagate hard drive
I have several other 1TB+ drives I will eventually connect to this system.
The mainboard is a USB 3.0 board.
2 Intel GigE PCI NIC cards
1 HP dual Gig PCI-Express 4x NIC card
750 Watt modular PSU
VMWare ESXi 4.1 Update 1 as the baremetal hypervisor.

File server OS is Windows Home Server with all updates and powerpacks with the vmxnet 3 network card (10GBps speeds)

My Linux Router also runs on this system as a Virtual Machine.

The file server that was replaced had 4TB of space, an AMD Athlon 64 4400+ X2, ad 4GB of RAM running ESXi.

Worked fine, just underrated for my needs.

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
Most games are much more graphics intensive than processor intensive. As long as you have fast drives and graphics, then even and old Q6600 is more than enough power to run them.

ive got the q6600 as well. when i got it it was nearly top of the line aside from the Black edition processors. games run great. i think i have like 2gigs of memory just for graphics at all times so that helps too. anyone looking to do a cheap graphics upgrade, get a Sapphire Radeon HD4850 (or similar if price isnt too bad). very few games i cant max, and its great with AA (frame syncing, not so much, but its whatever). get the sapphire one because it keeps cooler than other brands, and the 4850s are known to run VERY hot
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock