Started on: 02-16-2011 09:31 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Scottzilla79 on 02-19-2011 12:19 AM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
http://www.foxnews.com/scit...ter/?test=latestnews

Does IBM feel the need for speed?

China currently holds the title of world's fastest supercomputer, a boast-worthy title that swelled Chinese chests back in October. But China had better get ready: IBM is gunning for them.

Big Blue recently announced plans to build a new Blue Gene/Q supercomputer named "Mira," which will operate four times as fast as China's speediest bullet PC. Tianhe-1, China's current record holder, is capable of powering through 2.507 "petaflops" per second -- that's 2,507 trillion calculations per second. IBM claims its computer will hit 10 petaflops, or 10 quadrillion calculations per second.

To put that number in perspective, if every man, woman and child in the United States performed one calculation each second, it would take them almost a year to do as many calculations as Mira will do in a single second.

All that power won't be wasted on solitaire and video games, of course. IBM said it would offer the stunningly speedy system to the U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory, where it will be used to design ultra-efficient electric car batteries, understand global climate change and explore the evolution of our universe.

"Computation and supercomputing are critical to solving some of our greatest scientific challenges, like advancing clean energy and understanding the Earth's climate," said Rick Stevens, associate laboratory director for computing, environment and life sciences at Argonne National Laboratory. "Argonne's new IBM supercomputer will help address the critical demand for complex modeling and simulation capabilities, which are essential to improving our economic prosperity and global competitiveness."

President Barack Obama's recent state of the union address highlighted the need to provide cutting edge scientists and inventors with the support they need. He cited international competition in the technology arena, arguing that faster supercomputers here in the U.S. may help us compete.

"At Oak Ridge National Laboratory, they’re using supercomputers to get a lot more power out of our nuclear facilities," the president said. "With more research and incentives, we can break our dependence on oil with biofuels, and become the first country to have one million electric vehicles on the road by 2015."

IBM has two computers on the latest list the world's fastest computers, the Department of Energy's Roadrunner system in 7th place and Germany-research group FZJ's JUGENE, in 9th. The company plans to have Mira operational in 2012 and made available to scientists from industry, academia and government research facilities around the world. Let's hope this new system can turn those Argone's computing dreams into reality.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I used to work where the fastest computer IBM offers is mostly built. When i left there almost 4 years ago is when they were making their recent claimed "fastest" computer. They build ahead to fill orders before any info is released. When i left there they were already in the process of building something much much faster. With testing already complete but no details released they were on to stage 3 of said super computer... i think china is going to have a run for their money there. I've heard from old co-workers that they are 6 stages above the one that was recently released.... aught to be interesting to see what happens. As much as i hate their business practices and lack of proper management they do have some pretty cool computers.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I used to work in IBM, East Fishkill until 1989, when I went to work starting our first family owned business in Connecticut. I was actually a working as a subcontractor for Grumman technical services to IBM. We had the contract to do the maintenance and repairs to the Hontas electron beam lithography equipment. Back then they were making 386 chips. They shut the whole place down shortly after I was gone from there.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-18-2011).]

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Isn't IBM a Chinese company now? Lenovo?
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
They only sold the PC manufacturing business to the Chinese.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock