Started on: 02-15-2011 02:48 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: carnut122 on 02-15-2011 08:00 PM
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
This is tragic. BUT.. where do we get the troops from with two active conflicts in the works?

I dont see nukes as an option.. we kill tens of thousands who are not making this decision, how is that better than them killing the opposition? Its not.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Makes sense to me. Nuke everything in the Middle East except Israel and the terrorist problems would go away. We are coming to a show down with the fundamentalist Muslims someday, if the West plans to survive. Might as well get it over with.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Why not just airdrop a crapload of weapons, and ammo, and set back and watch?

Brad
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I knew Iran wasn't going to be as accommodating to any significant opposition as Egypt and Tunisia. It will get much worse before it gets any better.

Just wait til the pro-democracy wave hits the House of Saud......our "friends."

Iran will look like a picnic.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

I knew Iran wasn't going to be as accommodating to any significant opposition as Egypt and Tunisia. It will get much worse before it gets any better.

Just wait til the pro-democracy wave hits the House of Saud......our "friends."

Iran will look like a picnic.

If it hits Saudi Arabia, they will drag the prince/king/sheik out into the street and behead them on national TV. It will not be pretty.

Jim

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Makes sense to me. Nuke everything in the Middle East except Israel and the terrorist problems would go away. We are coming to a show down with the fundamentalist Muslims someday, if the West plans to survive. Might as well get it over with.

Respectfully, I don't agree.

Nothing would be a greater worldwide fundamentalist recruiting tool than the US taking a heavy-handed military approach in the region. If we can focus our efforts surreptitiously, fine....go for it. Support the pro-democracy movements but use a great deal of finesse in the process. A blatant "offensive" move by us would only serve the immediate interests and long-term ideological goals of the fundamentalists. Whether one wishes to believe it or not, they have been significantly weakened (by and large) by the non-violent and non-secular nature of the recent pro-democracy protests. Most citizens in the Middle East are not as "anti-western" as they are "anti-western involvement in internal affairs." Anything that smacks of "nation building" by the US will only cement the perception that we're once again trying to supplant their right to self-determination.

I say for once let's demonstrate some patience this time....We'll know when the time is right to get more actively involved in the process.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
{removed due to my sarcasm not showing through}

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 02-15-2011).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

why skip Isreal?
and, I think we can just say "religous fundamentalists" or even just plain old "fundamentalists"
heck - just look at this thread. calling for violence, mass murder & domination.

hard liners of all flavors are the problem

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

If it hits Saudi Arabia, they will drag the prince/king/sheik out into the street and behead them on national TV. It will not be pretty.

Jim

The people will never get that close. The Saudi military will mow down the entire population first....with the weapons WE gave them.

Remember Egypt?

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 02-15-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Why not just airdrop a crapload of weapons, and ammo, and set back and watch?

Brad

it's been done for years now, hasn't worked yet.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 02-15-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

newf

8704 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Yup, ignore the fact that the people of that region are showing such balls by rising up against the Autocrats and have shown to be predominantly peaceful in their actions.

Also do you see any parallel to your statement in something like "Death to America"?

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

Whether one wishes to believe it or not, [the militant Islamists] have been significantly weakened (by and large) by the non-violent and non-secular nature of the recent pro-democracy protests.

I agree wholeheartedly. For years, people here on PFF and elsewhere have been asking, "Where are all the moderate Muslims, and when are they going to stand up and assert themselves." This is exactly what we have been witnessing for the past three weeks in Egypt. The question now becomes, "Will it last?" I can only hope that it will.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-15-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 02-15-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Doni, pm.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Doni, pm.

Got it...
richfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richfieroSend a Private Message to richfieroDirect Link to This Post
We helped free Iran too.

Egypt will prob end up like Iran with the Muslim Brotherhood getting into power.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richfiero:

Egypt will prob end up like Iran with the Muslim Brotherhood getting into power.

I'd be surprised by that myself.

The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt isn't nearly as powerful nor as widely accepted by the Egyptian people as some in the West tend to believe.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Obama didn't do much during the election protests. I don't expect much now.
Hillary Clinton has come out in support of the protesters in Iran, but I haven't heard any statement from the Oval Office yet.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has expressed support for the tens of thousands of protesters in Iran's capital, saying they "deserve to have the same rights that they saw being played out in Egypt and are part of their own birthright", AP reported.

Speaking to reporters after meeting House Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur) on Capitol Hill, Clinton says she and others in Barack Obama administration "very clearly and directly support the aspirations of the people who are in the streets" of Tehran.

She spoke of the "hypocrisy" of the Iranian government that hailed the protests in Egypt but has tried to suppress opposition at home.

She said there "needs to be a commitment to open up the political system, to hear the voices of the opposition and civil society."
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

We must not sit by, we must send troops or nukes

Didn't read the thread yet, but--I'm in.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I haven't heard any statement from the Oval Office yet.

Did you look?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/.../us_egypt_iran_obama

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Did you look?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/.../us_egypt_iran_obama

No. I read the report of Hillary's statement on my local news. I didn't go hunting to see if maybe Obama said something too. I thought that would be news.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by richfiero:

We helped free Iran too.

Did I miss something? When did that happen? Are you referring to WWII?

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 02-15-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock