Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Anybody heard of Hi-Point firearms? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Anybody heard of Hi-Point firearms? by jimbolaya
Started on: 02-15-2011 12:21 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: Nurb432 on 02-17-2011 08:21 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
To (mis)quote Tommy Boy: "A warranty is great but it's only words on a box." I'll take a used Glock (or any other "name brand" gun) over a new Hi-Point any day. Would you rather have a used Cadillac or a brand spanking new (with warranty) Yugo?

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 02-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Would you rather have a corvette or a Fiero? Same thing. Glock is better than hi point, but not all Glock guns are better, there have been a few out of battery explosions with glock. If you can find a used glock for 169 or even 200 dollars, buy that. If you just want a toy or cant afford a glock, the Hi Point works.

As far as the warranty, do a search on it as of date its been a sure thing. Glock's warranty is nowhere near as sure, and a glock has a lot more potential to malfunction as it is a more complicated gun.

Given the choice I rather have a glock too, but saying just get a glock is exactly like saying just buy a vettte.
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-16-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

To (mis)quote Tommy Boy: "A warranty is great but it's only words on a box." I'll take a used Glock (or any other "name brand" gun) over a new Hi-Point any day. Would you rather have a used Cadillac or a brand spanking new (with warranty) Yugo?

Id rather have the Yugo then walk.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
You guys have me all wrong. I want them both. I'm thinking in addition to, not in place of. I am still looking for a qualty CCW. I want the HI-Point simply because it's cheap. The Corvette/Fiero comparison is a great analogy. The Corvette/Glock goes on the hip, and very rarely comes out of the holster/garage. The Fiero/Hi-Point gets driven/shot every week and rarely sees the garage/holster. Make sense now? If it doesn't, I don't care, I'm still buying one.

Jim
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

You guys have me all wrong. I want them both. I'm thinking in addition to, not in place of. I am still looking for a qualty CCW. I want the HI-Point simply because it's cheap. The Corvette/Fiero comparison is a great analogy. The Corvette/Glock goes on the hip, and very rarely comes out of the holster/garage. The Fiero/Hi-Point gets driven/shot every week and rarely sees the garage/holster. Make sense now? If it doesn't, I don't care, I'm still buying one.

Jim

I bought mine when i wasn't well off and wanted something to shoot and not wear out my daily carry ( also inexpensive.. a 380 bersa ). Tho later i switched to a used 22 and put the Hi-point away, as i couldn't really rationalize spending money on 9mm ammo on a regular basis due to my income at the time.. ( those were not fun times )

Later when i could afford better, i still kept it and it still sits ready as part of the 'emergency plan' in the house.
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Jim

I think I'd revise that analogy just a little bit. Whatever your final decision on a carry gun, it shouldn't come out of the holster/garage rarely. It should be the firearm that you shoot and practice with the most. You want to make sure not only that it's reliable but also that you are familar with it. Kinda like if you wanted to autocross or something. You wouldn't practice with the fiero and then when actual race time came jump in the corvette because it wouldn't be as familiar. You might do okay but not as well had you practiced with the car you would be racing with.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Georgia arms, ammunition to go, able ammo, lucky gunner and such sites make 9mm much much cheaper.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

My Hi-Pint 9mm Carbine. Finished sighting it in today at 30 yards with a cheap $30 red dot scope. 127 gr Winchester NATO FMJ. Went bang every time. Accurate I'd say, considering I haven't fired a long gun in the better part of 12 years... Only thing I've done to this gun since I bought it was clean it thoroughly and put on a slip on Pachmyr Decelerator shoulder pad.

I pulled a bit on the first shot (lower right). Other 4 shots I took my time with and did pretty well. These were the last 5 shots I put through for the day since the range was technically closed when I got there (they let me shoot anyway ). Put half a box through prior to this to get the red dot centered. Need to tweek it a click or 3 but its still pretty close. Close enough for kill shots anyway

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 02-16-2011).]

brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Would you rather have a corvette or a Fiero? Same thing. Glock is better than hi point, but not all Glock guns are better, there have been a few out of battery explosions with glock. If you can find a used glock for 169 or even 200 dollars, buy that. If you just want a toy or cant afford a glock, the Hi Point works.

As far as the warranty, do a search on it as of date its been a sure thing. Glock's warranty is nowhere near as sure, and a glock has a lot more potential to malfunction as it is a more complicated gun.

Given the choice I rather have a glock too, but saying just get a glock is exactly like saying just buy a vettte.

I'm neither a hi-point hater or a glock fanboy, just throwing that out there.

While the blowback design of the hi-point might be a little more simple the glock only has like a total of 32 parts or something. Of which maybe a handful have any real chance at causing the gun to fail. Its about as uncomplicated as you can get.

Glocks warranty also might not be as stellar but how often does it have to be used? Will Hi-point fix anything? Absolutely. However I'm willing to bet if you took 100 new glocks and 100 new hi-points and put 1000 rounds through each gun there would be signifigantly more issues with the hi-points than there would be the glocks. Sure you can get all the issues fixed for free but why should there be issues in the first place?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

I think I'd revise that analogy just a little bit. Whatever your final decision on a carry gun, it shouldn't come out of the holster/garage rarely. It should be the firearm that you shoot and practice with the most. You want to make sure not only that it's reliable but also that you are familar with it. Kinda like if you wanted to autocross or something. You wouldn't practice with the fiero and then when actual race time came jump in the corvette because it wouldn't be as familiar. You might do okay but not as well had you practiced with the car you would be racing with.

Boy, everyone loves to over analyze everything on this forum. My point is, I would drive the Hi-Point into the ground. For the price, it just wouldn't matter. Of course, the final CCW choice would receive attention and be practiced with, but it would also receive garage treatment. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to be combative, so don't take it that way. You've been very helpful in all your post.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

My Hi-Pint 9mm Carbine. Finished sighting it in today at 30 yards with a cheap $30 red dot scope. 127 gr Winchester NATO FMJ. Went bang every time. Accurate I'd say, considering I haven't fired a long gun in the better part of 12 years...

You shoot like a sissy. One of those bullet holes missed the center.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
While were at it, what are you guys oppinions of a Taurus 24/7 or a S&W Sigma series? The salesman at the shooting range was not high on these.

Jim
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
(Super Troopers reference )

Who, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy.

Not bad though considering.

While were at it, what are you guys oppinions of a Taurus 24/7 or a S&W Sigma series? The salesman at the shooting range was not high on these.

Jim

The newer Sigma's are nice and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one CCW. Can't really comment on the Taurus 24/7 line. I will say that Taurus makes a good gun (another lifetime warranty company), but my experience with Taurus is with a PT140 Pro, and I don't particularly like Taurus much. Not due to reliability, etc. I don't like the feel of it in my hand. But I have heard good things about the 24/7 line of theirs.

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 02-17-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Georgia arms, ammunition to go, able ammo, lucky gunner and such sites make 9mm much much cheaper.

Checking these out now. Thanks.

Jim

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Your most certainly welcome. Aim surplus sometimes has good deals too, especially if you consider a gun chambered in 7.62x25 or 5.45x39.
Final note on hi-points, they make great truck guns, I don't like the look or feel, but my guns always went bang and were reasonably accurate. I like them for the same reason I like the Fiero. Best bang for the buck, when you are on a budget. As far as the sigma, never had one. However, heard the only complaint was trigger creep.
I am not sure I would buy both a hi-point and a glock. The Glock can take a lot of abuse and if you shoot the barrel out its cheaply replaceable. Check out lone wolf distributing to get an idea. The hi point would make a nice cheap spare or a truck gun, or a gun for people on a tight budget. If you have a glock and don't need a spare around I wouldn't waste the money.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

That little guy? Nah, don't worry about that little guy...

Not bad though considering.

The newer Sigma's are nice and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one CCW. Can't really comment on the Taurus 24/7 line. I will say that Taurus makes a good gun (another lifetime warranty company), but my experience with Taurus is with a PT140 Pro, and I don't particularly like Taurus much. Not due to reliability, etc. I don't like the feel of it in my hand. But I have heard good things about the 24/7 line of theirs.

Yea, I had heard nothing but good things about Taurus in general, so I was set aback a little when the gunshop guy said he did not recommend them. Maybe it's just the 24/7's. I know there are several here that have Taurus 1911's, and love them. I hear ya about how the gun feels. This is the single most important, correct advise, I have received on this forum, about guns. Make sure it fits you. For example, I like the Glock standard, and compact models, but cannot stand their sub compact-carry models. It's because my pinky has nothing to press on with my hold hand. It annoys me to no end. If I get a Glock, it will be the mid-range, compact size. The grip is just big enough to support my pinky.

Jim

brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Boy, everyone loves to over analyze everything on this forum. My point is, I would drive the Hi-Point into the ground. For the price, it just wouldn't matter. Of course, the final CCW choice would receive attention and be practiced with, but it would also receive garage treatment. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to be combative, so don't take it that way. You've been very helpful in all your post.

Jim

Maybe what I said came across wrong or combative, wasn't meant that way at all. Rereading some of my posts, kind of sounds like I'm talking down to some in this thread, definately not the case. Just trying to give info and help you and anyone else reading make the best choice they can with the info they have got. I guess its pretty obvious that you would practice often with what you will carry and my post was probably unnecessary. Carry on.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Yea, I had heard nothing but good things about Taurus in general, so I was set aback a little when the gunshop guy said he did not recommend them. Maybe it's just the 24/7's. I know there are several here that have Taurus 1911's, and love them. I hear ya about how the gun feels. This is the single most important, correct advise, I have received on this forum, about guns. Make sure it fits you. For example, I like the Glock standard, and compact models, but cannot stand their sub compact-carry models. It's because my pinky has nothing to press on with my hold hand. It annoys me to no end. If I get a Glock, it will be the mid-range, compact size. The grip is just big enough to support my pinky.

Jim

I can't get the feel for a Glock either. The grip and trigger feel on the Glocks are weird to me. Hands down my favorite handguns are from Springfield (the XD line), S&W (Sigma's), and the FN Herstal FNP line (top of the list by far my all time favorite).

Taurus also owns/markets Rossi brand firearms (didn't know this til about 3 weeks ago when I found a Rossi Youth combo 22LR/410ga long gun at wal mart.)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus if they felt better in my hands. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a newer model Sigma (which is my next planned handgun). I definitely wouldn't hesitate to carry either of them CCW as well. I carried my PT140 Pro for a week or so daily before I took it back. Put a box of rounds through it and it went bang every time, no FTF/FTE or stovepipes
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
About to get shunned for this. I like the way the glock feels and the Hi point is not bad. I had a mac 11 but thats a different story. The most right feeling gun I have ever shot.....A FEG 9x35. That thing was garbage in construction but I loved it LOL
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i have a sw 40 sigma i like it alot . i shot about 500 round 2 ftf but was my bad mag loading .buddy showed me how to tap mag as loading mags never happened again . super easy to clean and easy to oil lighter weight good to carry i bet . no carry in il

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 02-17-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

i have a sw 40 sigma i like it alot . i shot about 500 round 2 ftf but was my bad mag loading .buddy showed me how to tap mag as loading mags never happened again . super easy to clean and easy to oil lighter weight good to carry i bet . no carry in il

They are great carry guns. Main reason its on the top of my list right now for handguns Although I think I may grab it in 9mm and upgrade to an FNX 45ACP to replace the FNP-9. The Sigma will make a great backup/offhand weapon, with the FNX as center stage

Odd that you have to tap the mags on the Sigma. Never heard of anyone having to do that on any gun (except Hi Point carbines that is, and its due to the design of the mag, they are stamped and bent to shape).

Jimbo, too bad you aren't closer I'd offer to take ya out with the carbine for a bbq and bullets lunch
PFF
System Bot
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
yea wierd both ftf(were not hit on back ) in next clip no problum .when loading wwb you can tap the mag at about6 and then you hear and feel slide back just a bit . was a used gun and mag maybe they are aftermarket

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 02-17-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-17-2011 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

I agree practice to be proficient, but i wouldn't take my carry to the range every weekend and send 1000 rounds thru it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock