Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Well, I thought I had the laptop sorted....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Well, I thought I had the laptop sorted.... by fierofetish
Started on: 02-14-2011 06:49 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: fierofetish on 02-15-2011 09:50 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2011 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
...but all of a sudden, I get the MS DOS page at start-up, and it appears the original OS is still there...hence I have only 30% free space on my HDD, and the speed has dropped to 'very slow'...so much so, that I can't use Skype
Have I set up a second partition? And if so, how can I get rid of the original OS, and leave the new one intact? Do I have to format the HDD to get rid of it?
I wish I was better at these things...
Nick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Hi Nick,no you shouldnt have to format the hard drive.What version of Windows are you running?Typicalley when you reinstall Windows all your programs are saved in a file called Backup and the date.But your programs will need to be reinstalled,The fuller your hard drive gets the slower it will run,the big question is what is being installed on your computer and where is it going.I once had some sort of network virus,some bussiness was transfering their Gigs of softwear to a new file on my computer.From what you are saying it sounds like some sort of combination of a mallwear virus.If you know the name of that peskey antivirus softwear,you can try and type that in a google search engine and include the word removal.....Ill be right back,I got a few other tips on my other computer......
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

James Bond 007

8868 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Try looking in the registry editor under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,then scroll down to Software, then to CLASSES, then to Microsoft,then to Windows (folder icon),scroll down to (near the bottom) "Run,Run-,RunOnce,RunOnceEx,RunServices,RunServices-,RunServicesOnce and Setup" These folders in quotes can contain spyware or viruses and boot up when your computer is turned on.

Try using the System File Checker to see if it detects that the system file is corrupted:Go to Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit OK (note: there is a space between sfc and /). Leave it on the first option and let it scan. If it finds any files missing/corrupted, it may ask for the Windows CD.

You can allso go to start,then run and type msconfig.exe and click on the right tab to see anything unusual,thats booting up.

On this computer that Im running Windows Vista, Im not exactley sure how to get to the start\ run feature,maybe someone can clear that up,on xp is alot easyer.

I allso recomend the program called win rescue,it will back up your registry and help prevent this from happening again.
some tool are found here.
http://www.greyknight17.com/download.php

Google this:Kill startup programs
http://technet.microsoft.co...ernals/bb963902.aspx
http://ask.metafilter.com/9...l-autostart-programs

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Wow You are soooo kind! I will have a run through those things after dinner...thanks!! I am running XP Home
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
NOW I DO!!!!! Ha!! I managed to format and reinstall, and all looks to be OK!!
Trial and error (mostly error ), and I guess I learned a lot on the way...eg...reinstalling does NOT format . Now I have to get the right keyboard selection so I dont have to look for them in strange places..hahahaha!!!!!
Thanks JB...great help there!!
Nick

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock