Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Insurance increased because of driving record?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Insurance increased because of driving record? by 84fiero123
Started on: 02-10-2011 05:10 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 02-11-2011 10:09 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
We just got our yearly car insurance and the insurance on the Fiero went UP. Because they say because of our driving record. Neither one of us has had an accident or a moving
violation in 15 years.

WTF is going on here?

Anyone else ever seen or heard of this crap?

One of the sites they used as their search of our records.

http://www.exploredata.com/...ation-Predictor.aspx

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else live with you, or use your mail during the past year?

Brad
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Steve, they are a Law unto themselves...they would bump up insurance premiums if the price of pineapples increased by .000000000000000000000000005%.
Change your insurers, and let them know why....even if it costs you a few bucks more. At LEAST you will have made your point...even if it rolls off them like water off a duck's backside (NO!!!!!! The ducks AREN'T coming, FieroRumor )
Nick
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, have you called them?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
... the insurance on the Fiero went UP. Because they say because of our driving record.

Don't be a roll over Steve. Ask questions, demand answers. Exactly what about the driving record caused a need for increased rates ? Why ?
Insurance is regulated by the State and there is a State board which will handle complaints.
fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post
No one uses our address or drives our cars. No Tickets in 15 years or accidents in over 25 years. I have requested the report. I will have to wait 10 days to get it back.
In the mean time I will be calling other companies. I have used this insurance company for 15 years. We have home, auto, and farm liability with them. I am really angry.

[This message has been edited by fierowitch (edited 02-10-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-10-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
The have been monitoring you via the sensors in your license plate.

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Had my rates raised under similar circumstances --- when I pointed out no tickets or accidents in 35 years of driving I was told --- your due to have one soon!!!!! I switched. Take your business elseware, it's a buyers market.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
We just got our yearly car insurance and the insurance on the Fiero went UP. Because they say because of our driving record. Neither one of us has had an accident or a moving violation in 15 years.

The cynical part of me thinks that the insurance company uses that site because it throws off low ratings (of course) as a way to justify higher premiums. Most people go along and pay the higher rate, (good for the profit factor) but I bet that the insurance company has a better rate for those who tactfully inquire or stategicaly threaten to take the business elsewhere. You know, much in the same fashion that cable companies all of a sudden have a special offer when you threaten to go elsewhere.

I would politely but firmly inquire about the rate increase.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

The cynical part of me thinks that the insurance company uses that site because it throws off low ratings (of course) as a way to justify higher premiums. Most people go along and pay the higher rate, (good for the profit factor) but I bet that the insurance company has a better rate for those who tactfully inquire or stategicaly threaten to take the business elsewhere. You know, much in the same fashion that cable companies all of a sudden have a special offer when you threaten to go elsewhere.

I would politely but firmly inquire about the rate increase.

I can’t wait to see what is on our driving record that they have on us. It has to be wrong like I said we haven’t had anything in 15 years. Have been with this same company for 15 years and have 3 cars insured by them and the house.

Funny thing is only the Fiero’s rates increased not the others. Non have collision just compulsory. We put I would bet less than 5,000 miles a year on all of them put together. Not working anymore and driving a lot less.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-10-2011).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I would call them. They should have sent a letter stating why your rates are going up, thats what happened to me when I had State Farm and got my speeding ticket. I would call and find out and tell them if they can't figure it out that you already have another insurance company with better rates that would like your business.
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Did any of you actually read the link Steve gave?

"Violation Predictor is an MVR order optimization tool that incorporates an extensive array of infrastructure, geo-demographic, and law enforcement data along with driver characteristics to identify drivers most likely to have had violations. In an increasingly competitive auto insurance landscape, carriers are looking for ways to operate smarter and more efficiently. Not surprisingly, insurers are reevaluating MVR ordering policies to reflect both rising MVR costs and the fact that many driving records come back clean."

Note the term Violation PREDICTOR. They are basically making up a likelyhood that you MAY have violations that ARE NOT listed on your driving record. Given your age, sex, location, etc., etc., they GUESS that you probably have tickets. Or are likely to get them in the future. Without the costly expense of actually asking your DMV for a copy of your record.

Talk about just making s*** up!

[This message has been edited by Zeb (edited 02-10-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

"Violation Predictor is an MVR order optimization tool that incorporates an extensive array of infrastructure, geo-demographic, and law enforcement data along with driver characteristics to identify drivers most likely to have had violations. In an increasingly competitive auto insurance landscape, carriers are looking for ways to operate smarter and more efficiently. Not surprisingly, insurers are reevaluating MVR ordering policies to reflect both rising MVR costs and the fact that many driving records come back clean."

Note the term Violation {i]PREDICTOR[/I]. They are basically making up a likelyhood that you MAY have violations that ARE NOT listed on your driving record. Given your age, sex, location, etc., etc., they GUESS that you probably have tickets. Or are likely to get them in the future. Without the costly expense of actually asking your DMV for a copy of your record.

Nice to see someone actually clicked on the link.

I thought that was funny right there. They are saying just because I haven’t gotten caught for any violations I am due one, by their investigative technique. If you want to call it that.

I will admit to being just as wild as any other teen male. And more but I am 56 next month and those days are far behind me, fun but behind me.

I will admit to periodic burst of speed with the Fiero but nothing to get a ticket for. And the last time I was stopped I got a warming for doing 70 in a 55 and I was going faster. And that was in the suburban, not the Fiero and that is the policy that went up. The vehicles are 2 different worlds, get out of the Fiero and drive the Burban and it is like floating on a cloud at 80. So I can forget what I am driving at times but nothing more.
Of course that may have something to do with it to.
Steve

------------------

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
As far as I can tell, they're also prdicting if you've gotten tickets that don't show up on your record. So you're screwed for your past as well as your future.

And as far as age goes, I'm 53, right in your ballpark. Insurance will screw you when you're young, and get more tickets than you deserve. Now, thanks to these propellerheads, you'll get screwed when you're older, and get fewer than you deserve!

[This message has been edited by Zeb (edited 02-10-2011).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Insurance Profiling!
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Dept. of Pre-Crime? Be sure to get the Minorty Report.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure this has nothing to do with your mailbox?

------------------
Ron

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Are you sure this has nothing to do with your mailbox?

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-11-2011).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Ive had tickets with no insurance impact. Seems you may want to change insurance companies.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
I'm 73 and my insurance actually went down for the Fiero. My insurance agent said only two traffic tickets in the last 42 years and the fact that I drive the car less than 200 miles a month are factors. We were able to lower the insurance for our other cars as well because of lack of tickets.

Steve, I suggest you compare rates or just change insurance companies.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I have Geico and they raised my rates by $50 for this next 6 month term that started a week ago. I probably should have called and threatened to switch companies or complained- but I've read that this is a typical Geico tactic.. They lure you in with a reasonable initial quote and slowly raise your rate.

I have the car registered in my brother's name since hes 27 and a squeaky clean record with no tickets or accidents- ever. I'm turning 20 in 2 months and not even listed as a driver under the policy. No other company was able to come close to Geico in my case, everything else is at least twice as much.. So I'm screwed cause there is no other company to switch to .

Lol at the insurance pre-crime... I can't believe they profile you and increase rates based on that... Actually I'm an idiot for not believing it, its 2011 and people including huge corporations will do anything to make a quick buck.

Sigh... Time to install flux capacitors on our Fieros and go back to the 80s/90s lol.
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I have the car registered in my brother's name since hes 27 ... I'm turning 20 in 2 months and not even listed as a driver under the policy.

In case of an accident, you may find that you have no insurance coverage at all. If you have a major claim, Geico will investigate every statement and representation made to obtain the policy, and if any one of them is found to be deceptive or materially false they can and will void your policy ... and the law will be on their side.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-11-2011).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

In case of an accident, you may find that you have no insurance coverage at all. If you have a major claim, Geico will investigate every statement and representation made to obtain the policy, and if any one of them is found to be deceptive or materially false they can and will void your policy ... and the law will be on their side.

Yeah I know. I already had an accident in the Fiero (no other motorists involved), and I didn't make a claim. I guess I'll just hope for the best until I'm 25 and pass that cut-off age where rates are crazy high lol. I can't afford to pay $3500 annually if the car was in my name, thats just insanity.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Lol at the insurance pre-crime... I can't believe they profile you and increase rates based on that... Actually I'm an idiot for not believing it, its 2011 and people including huge corporations will do anything to make a quick buck.

Don't laugh too hard, you are doing the same thing as them.

Brad
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If your not listed as a driver, your not covered at all in most cases. If you have an accident, your brother is the one thats going to get sued if the victim is not paid. Your brother helped you out but hes def screwing himself. You should get him to cosign for a new house for you
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I know. I already had an accident in the Fiero (no other motorists involved), and I didn't make a claim. I guess I'll just hope for the best until I'm 25 and pass that cut-off age where rates are crazy high lol. I can't afford to pay $3500 annually if the car was in my name, thats just insanity.

If you have an accident involving another vehicle, and there are even minor injuries, $3500 is going to look cheap.

Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
My insurance for two vehicles in my name and under my insurance is only 1200 a year. That is with 100,000 in meds for each person injured, 500,000 in Property damage, assumed liability, and court costs. Plus i get a rental for 3 weeks. I have been driving since i was 16, have changed insured vehicles multiple times per my obsessions, and have no accidents or close calls.

Note: my insurer also insures out of state persons
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Note the term Violation PREDICTOR. They are basically making up a likelyhood that you MAY have violations that ARE NOT listed on your driving record. Given your age, sex, location, etc., etc., they GUESS that you probably have tickets. Or are likely to get them in the future. Without the costly expense of actually asking your DMV for a copy of your record.

Thought crime detected....
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Don't laugh too hard, you are doing the same thing as them.

Brad

Someone must not love you. I assume this is going to become a regular thing? I can expect your little snide remarks in every thread I post in right? Cool.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock