Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Said good-night forever to an old friend tonight...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Said good-night forever to an old friend tonight... by Cooter
Started on: 02-03-2011 08:17 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: Flamberge on 03-03-2011 10:40 PM
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
"Sheep dogs are not good pets," a friend said. Turns out he was wrong. The best dog I ever had, Ally the Australian Shepherd, was put to rest today at 5:30. Old age had got to her and she was nearly completely blind, had diabetes and terrible arthritis in her hips. For two days, she was not able to get up on her own and I had told myself that when she was unable to move about on her own that it was time to let her go. I held her close as she went to sleep, peacefully, quietly. I whispered good-night to her as she drifted away and the last breath came. I know that I did the right thing, but now there is this empty collar hanging on my door, an empty spot on the rug by the front door, and a huge empty loneliness inside me right now. I will get her ashes back next Friday and a co-worker is going to let me spread them over her farm so she will finally get to be on the farm where she was supposed to be her whole life.

Rest in peace, Ally.

April 1, 1998~February 3, 2011
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SClick Here to visit N3M3S1S's HomePageClick Here to Email N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is always like losing a family member, it sucks. =[
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Damn, something in my eye.

My most sincere condolences.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I remember the pain. I've lost 2 cherished Saint Bernards so far. My sympathy to you.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Well... Sheep dogs are not usually supposed to make good pets.
You had a rare exception. (We're pretty much batting .500, at our place.)
But, invariably, they find a way to wiggle straight into your heart and your home.
Thanks for posting her pic. I don't think I've ever seen her.

Peace.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-03-2011).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinClick Here to Email kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Cooter

Terrible loss to lose a best friend

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 02-03-2011).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

njcwgrl

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlClick Here to Email njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
So Sorry for your loss. I will add her and you to my prayers tonight.

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I can see she had a very good home and lots of love.

You will see her again in the next life.
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a great dog.

Brian
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
Losing our pet friends is just the worst
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
Had to do that to my Aussie back in 04. He had me for 15 years and there could never be a better dog that he was. I held him as you did when he was put down. I still miss that him. He was epileptic his whole life, had to take a pill for that everyday, the last 3 years he had to take a daily pill for his arthritis. I had to help him up the steps to the back porch cause his hips couldn't make it. But everytime I stood up he was ready to go with me where ever I was going. They are a great dog.

My deepest sympathies are with you.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss and good vibes to all. But she will always be there as long as you remember her.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageClick Here to Email RACESend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Sorry that you lost your friend. I know how you feel. I lost mine in October. When they go they leave a hole in your life. Remember the good times.
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm very sorry, Cooter. I still tear up thinking about having to put my first dog, Sonny the Australian Cattle Dog, to sleep. That was something like 12 years ago, when he was 18 and I miss him to this day.

They are in a better place.

~ Derek
Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for all the kindness you have shared. When I left the house this morning, I had no idea my day would end like this. I figured on coming home, letting my dogs out for a bit, giving an insulin shot to Ally and eyedrops to the wife's mutt and everything would be normal. I guess normal will never be the same again.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
My sincere condolences. The only thing worse than losing a good dog is never having had one at all.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 337
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I bawled like a baby.
I feel your pain and I give my heartfelt goodbye to your very good friend.
Too short is the time we get with our canine half.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Its always sad having to put a dog down I'm very sorry for your loss. I remember growing up i had a big black Newfoundland. He was a big clumsy old guy but growing up in a small neighborhood where the only kids my age my parents dident get along with there parents so naturley we dident get along, That dog was my best friend , his name was Murphy everyone who would come over thought he was a big scary dog and tried to stay away from him but in reality he had the heart of a pug and all he wanted was to be loved. He was friendly and very well natured animal. My most funny memory was i taught him to steal shoes so me and my friends were walking up from the creek one time and i was walking with my dog.. i look at him and say "Murphy, get the shoes". next thing you know he tackels my friend pulls off one of his brand new rebocks and completely rips it to shreds. or the time we were out on our paddel boats and he swap up to the boat and jumped on it causing it to almost sink. He was a great dog and all he wanted out of life was to be loved. Unfortunately old age got to him as well. We had him groomed one day at Pet Co and they had him standing to long. we got him home and he litterley fell out of the car and couldn't get up. so we brought him out to the deck hoping he just needed some rest but the next morning he was still there, My mom called in the vet and the vet came and said there's nothing he can do for the dog and that he would have to be put down.... I was really young at the time (about 8 or 9) and my parents wouldent let me out to go see what was going on. I never got to say good by to my big buddy but to this day that dog has a special place in my heart. no one in my family really understood him or had a connection with him like I did. I miss my buddy.

Now years later he have an all black German Shepperd named Amy which we were told was not a dog that made a great household pet. Man were they wrong. This dog is treated as a member of the family and we all love her very much. Shes 7 now and they live to be about 12-14. i hope she goes to 14. this dog is an absolute blessing.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageClick Here to Email FieroRumorSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Sorry man...It's hard to lose a buddy.
PFF
System Bot
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momClick Here to Email fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
I remember that pain well, heck it's still with me and it's been years now. I had to put my Lab down the same way, held him the whole time while whispering in his ear how much I loved him. Bawling like a baby now.... It was so bad, I never wanted a dog again, then my daughter couldn't take care of her Boxer and he came into our lives. Two totally different personalities they were but I love him just as much. Now we grandsit my other daughters minature Australian Shepard, so my life with dogs is pretty full. Remember the good times and they aren't far away.

So sorry for your loss, it just isn't easy at all.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2011 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Oh no. I too am crying my eyes out. This is still to come for us with Zwerver and Chevy. Sometimes I almost hope I go first, or at least we all go together.
They will all be waiting at the Rainbow bridge for us.
I am so sad for you.
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 02-04-2011).]

Shananigans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShananigansSend a Private Message to ShananigansDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your dog, it's always tough losing our best friends.
Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Got up this morning, walked down to the fridge, grabbed the bottle of insulin, pulled up 14 units in the needle, walked downstairs and...damn.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

...damn.

I know.

When we had Cookie, she was usually free to roam the house, but when we went out in the evening we would occasionally put her in her crate in the dining room, right next to the stairs. When we returned and were coming up the stairs, we could always hear her tail thumping in the crate, as she was wagging it for our arrival.
After we lost her, the silence was just deafening. I still miss that thumping.
banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageClick Here to Email banditbalzSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry to hear you lost a friend today. Thank you for sharing a picture of her.

I had an Australian Blue Heeler once and she was likely the most loyal dog I ever had.

Rest in peace Ally...
fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post
You did the right thing. Sorry for the loss. I know hard hard it is to say goodby to a pet.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Cooter.. condolences. I love dogs, hoping for you to have some solace in your time of loss.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeClick Here to Email frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, bud.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
One of the hardest things in the world to do is watch a beloved pet die.

My heart goes out to you, guy.
PFF
System Bot
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageClick Here to Email AmethystSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
So very sorry for your loss... she was a beautiful dog!
Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
My son and I stopped by the vet today and brought Ally home in a small decorative urn. Its hard to believe that what was once a 70 pound dog fits into such a little vase. Hopefully, the weather will be good on her birthday (April 1) and we will take her ashes out to the farm.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
My condolences. Lost a few dear pets myself, it hurts. The good times live on in your memory.
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Click Here to Email pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Cooter you have my sympathy. Every one i lose a part of me goes too. Animals are not pets they are family loved ones. So much happines they bring in our lives. Just so happy to see us when we get home.I too have a tear at your lost. http://www.youtube.com/watc...re=player_detailpage
this video sums it up.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
My condolances....

I think there is a heaven--a special place....for dogs and horses........They are both--really--mens best friends.......Someday, with a little bit of luck...we might meet up with them again.
Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Its already been a month and the memories are fading. My room no longer smells like an old wet dog and I have a pretty urn on my desk. But the nightmares are rough. I keep waking up from the same dream where I am holding her and her hazy eyes are looking up at me as they slowly close while the vet does the deed. Part of me died that day. I just did not realize how big that part was.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Click Here to Email DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Cooter.

There is nothing the can be said that will make it any easier. You loved your buddy and now they are gone. But remember they are in a better place. And your dog was so lucky to have you. You clearly cared for it so much. So many great dogs never get a forever home like yours.

I lost a dog almost 5 years ago. My life has never been the same. I don't morn his passing anymore, but I miss his company. The love a dog gives is so pure and they expect nothing in return.

I feel for you my friend.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 03-03-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
My dad's wife had a dog almost exactly like that. She also said it was the best dog she'd ever had.

I am sorry for your loss.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock