Started on: 01-31-2011 06:46 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Mike Gonzalez on 02-03-2011 08:48 PM
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
My wife needs to build a scoring system spreadsheet for our horse/saddle club.

What she needs to know is if there is a way to make individual spreadsheets for different events effect another overall score.

Basically say there are 20 events with 10 contestants that all need the daily score, the daily score needs to be transferred and added to an overall year end score for the year end awards.

If there is other free software that might work better let me know !

Thanks for any help or advice !
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Soooo.... you're running numbers then?

'horse/saddle club' sounds like a fancy name for the horse track...
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
You can do this easily. Y can add numbers between tabs just as you can inside a single tab. Just have a tab for each event and a final tab for the season. Or if you must have different spreadsheets instead of different tabs it will work the same way. I assume you know how to put in a simple addition formula if not let me know and I can describe it.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
LOL, no not horse racing. Its horse shows, cow events, barrels, halter, more like a dog agility show. Some events score the handler, some score the animal.

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Mike Gonzalez

5093 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by FieroReinke:

You can do this easily. Y can add numbers between tabs just as you can inside a single tab. Just have a tab for each event and a final tab for the season. Or if you must have different spreadsheets instead of different tabs it will work the same way. I assume you know how to put in a simple addition formula if not let me know and I can describe it.

My wife can do the simple formulas, she is having trouble figuring out how to tally a total on a seperate page. I will see if I can get her to post better what she needs in a few, she just got home.

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Mike Gonzalez

5093 posts
Member since Jul 2001
She said if you can explain to us how to get the values to transfer to another tab or spreadsheet that she should be able to figure out how to do the rest of it. Its just the transfering over for the yearly totals thats got her stumped.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
In the cell you'd like the value to show up in, type in =SheetName!CellName

For example, to get the value from Sheet 2 cell A1 into this cell, I'd type in: =Sheet2!A1

You can do the same with any operation, as well. For example, trying to add cell A1 from Sheet 2 and cell A1 from Sheet 3 would put in:

=Sheet2!A1+Sheet3!A1

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 01-31-2011).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, She seemed to understand that, I didnt ! I will let her play with that for a while and post back if we have more questions.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
To transfer it between sheets (tabs), you use the sheet name and exclamation mark.

For instance, to add two columns, A1-A5 on the first tab, and B1-B5 on the second tab, you'd type

=sum(sheet1!A1:A5,sheet2!B1:B5)

day late and a dollar short it seems...

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 01-31-2011).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
And she wonders why I spend so much time on the Fiero forum !! Is there no question that cant be answered here !! Thanks guys +'s for all that dont have them from me !
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
She can even get crazy with VLOOKUP and other fun stuff, and if she's willing to learn a little Visual Basic, Excel can sing and dance.

People bash Microsoft, but I can count the number of programs I like more than Excel on one hand.
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

She can even get crazy with VLOOKUP and other fun stuff, and if she's willing to learn a little Visual Basic, Excel can sing and dance.

People bash Microsoft, but I can count the number of programs I like more than Excel on one hand.

Sparked my curiosity ! What is "VLOOKUP ?"

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Sparked my curiosity ! What is "VLOOKUP ?"

It looks up when episodes of V are on.

DUH!!

Brad
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

It looks up when episodes of V are on.

DUH!!

Brad

LOL !! I thought so !! but my DVR already knows this info !

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Vlookup allows you to look up values in a vertical table. For my Excel assignments I give my students, I use Vlookup to do a gradebook, or as a table for looking up shipping values.

IE:

0% F
60% D
70% C
80% B
90% A

You'll then create a formula to look up your value in that table and it'll return what letter grade the percent corresponds to.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

LOL !! I thought so !! but my DVR already knows this info !

Just type vlookup into msExcel, add some exclamation marks if you want to. Then take and hook your computer to your DVR. (I recommend duck tape.) Take and give it all a jolt of power using my patented lamp cord retro shocker method.

And bingo, all kinds of coolness. You will be able to watch V whenever you want, add enough exclamation marks and you can see episodes before they are aired I hear.

Brad
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Just to add more fuel to the fire.. you can link data from separate workbooks as well and pull data in.

Personally, I'd just write a small database application that would handle all of the data reporting for me.

I did one for my dad's bowling league a few years ago when he was the league secretary.. I don't think that yours would be that much different.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
i wouldn't know where to start on something like that !
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

As much as I dislike most of Microsoft's products, they sure did get Excel right. The amount of stuff I can make Excel do is freaking ridiculous, and I love that they incorporated VB, as I had some courses in that in high school and still remember enough to be dangerous
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:
To transfer it between sheets (tabs), you use the sheet name and exclamation mark.

For instance, to add two columns, A1-A5 on the first tab, and B1-B5 on the second tab, you'd type

=sum(sheet1!A1:A5,sheet2!B1:B5)

That will work, but there's an easier way. Go to a cell, type in "=", then go to the sheet containing the value you want in your formula, and select the cell (or cells) you want. Excel will add the "sheet1!" (or whatever sheet) automatically. Hit <ENTER> or continue with your formula.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Another "Thread added to My Favorites"
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help everyone ! She got it finished and the Club President loved it !
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Mike, if you need any further help, my wife is very good with the Office Suite including Excel. She said she'd be glad to help.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Oh sure now you tell me !! LOL, thanks, I will let her know !

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock