Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  With Todays Movie Magic, I Want A Remake (Or A Continuance) Of Dune....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

With Todays Movie Magic, I Want A Remake (Or A Continuance) Of Dune.... by Boondawg
Started on: 01-25-2011 01:11 AM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Flamberge on 01-26-2011 09:00 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain."

"A beginning is a very delicate time. Know then, that is is the year 10191. The known universe is ruled by the Padishah Emperor Shaddam the Fourth, my father. In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the spice Melange. The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel. The Spacing Guild and its navigators, who the spice has mutated over 4000 years, use the orange spice gas, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the universe without moving. Oh, yes. I forgot to tell you. The spice exists on only one planet in the entire universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Fremen, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom. The planet is Arrakis, also known as...............Dune."

We had the original, totally awesome.

Then we had the very questionable three part TV mini-series:

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

But I would like to redo Dune in the MUCH grander scale that todays tech affords us.
And all the books, right down the line.
Every year or so.

After all, how many installments of Star Trek movies were there again, through the years?

"We Fremen have a saying: "God created Arakis to train the faithful." One cannot go against the word of God."

Frank Herberts Masterpieces:

"Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being the equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion, you will be able to paralyze nerves, shatter bones, set fires, suffocate an enemy or burst his organs. We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arakeen air."

And then his son took over:

"He who controls the Spice, controls the universe! THE SPICE MUST FLOW!"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
It is by the juice of the beans that thoughts acquire speed
The hands begin to shake
The shakes become a warming
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

==========================================

There's a lot of on-again, off again talk about a new movie.

Dune (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-25-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
How long did it take you to make this thread? Geebus this is insane!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

How long did it take you to make this thread? Geebus this is insane!

I cranked it out from an idea to this in about 15 minutes.
It really depends on how fast PiP is working at any given time.
Fast tonight.

Kinda' crazy, but I wanted to show all the books incase anyone wanted to know them by sight.
I COULD have just listed them, but I'm nutty like that.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-25-2011).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
DUNE was a great novel, followed by some more or less pretty good sequels.
The movie was not nearly as good as the book, by most accounts.
I found it dull and slow.
One critic has called it "the runt of the [David] Lynch litter."
The studio spent a ton, and didn't make much money on it, IIRC.
Kind of like Waterworld and The Postman.
Maybe cost vs return profit is keeping the series dead.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/

------------------

Drive safely!

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 01-25-2011).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
"Fear is the mind killer. Let is pass thru you."
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I tried watching Dune and I couldn't handle it. It was too slow for me. I am sure I missed something, but the movie couldn't keep my interest.
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoDirect Link to This Post
Boonie:

I sometimes wonder if you and I were twins separated at birth.

I started reading the Dune series back in 1974.

I enjoyed the deLaurentis film version, with Kyle McLaughlin playing Paul Atriedies.

Didn't get to see the whole 3 part mini series though.

I would love to see the original 6 books done as a new movie franchise.
CGI technology would really rock Frank Herberts visionary world.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!
NO MORE REMAKES, PREQUEL, SEQUELS, ETC, GET SOME ORIGINAL IDEAS HOLLYWOOD, TIRED OF ALL THE CRAP!
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:
Maybe cost vs return profit is keeping the series dead.

Ya think? If it had been a money maker it would have already been done.

I agree that it was a decent movie but did take way to long to unfold. It's a movie, the script writers, director, producers and actors only have so long to tell the story.

------------------
Ron

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!
NO MORE REMAKES, PREQUEL, SEQUELS, ETC, GET SOME ORIGINAL IDEAS HOLLYWOOD, TIRED OF ALL THE CRAP!

Oh COME on! You mean you aren't phyched for "Istar- 3D"???????
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I saw the original movie in the theaters, and later the "extended" version that was broadcast. I liked it as a movie, but felt it deviated far from the books in ways I thought were fairly distracting (WTF is a "weirding module", anyway? That wasn't even in the book!) and detracted from the story. Acting was superb, and casting was brilliant in its unconventionality.

The Sci-Fi miniseries was more true to the story lines but the acting was mediocre, even to the point that it dragged Hurt's performance down several notches. I found most of the miniseries to be just ok, nothing more. Most of what I got from it was actually just seeing visualization of scenes I remembered from the books. I think that most people going into the miniseries without having read the books first would probably find the miniseries completely unpalatable.

That being said, I think that the technology now exists to make a spectacularly visual remake. IMHO it would have to be done as a multi-movie series much like Lord of the Rings in order to get the basic story lines in place and fleshed out (though it could never be done to the books' level, they're just too big), and most importantly it would require really top-notch writing and casting. With a budget in the hundreds of millions the movies would have to be good enough to appeal to a much broader market than just those who are fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

As an alternative, I wouldn't be against the books being done as animations; I think they might even do well in that venue.

That reminds me, time to dig out my well-worn reader copies and put them back in the queue.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I agree with JazzMan. While Hollywood is more than capable of producing the visual experience, getting good writing and acting is going to be a problem. And that's basically what happened with the SciFi miniseries. IMO, we don't really need any more of that.

"His name is a killing word!"

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
"Behold, like a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work."

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yes, just imagine what the new technology can do to make Baron Vladimir even more hideous in appearance.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Dune was boring. Bad story line, too. No boobs, either. Men need to see boobs. Or explosions. Preferably one after the other. Never did finish watching it.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..Dune was probably the worse big budget movie of all time,I kept waiting for it to get better,,IT WAS TERRIBLE,,NOT EVEN A DILDO RELAY RACE ,FEATURING THE MOST BUXOM LADIES IN THE WORLD ,WOULD HAVE SAVED IT,and dildo relay racing is so facinating,you do not need a midget..Visions of just desert blowing shifting sand are better than Dune
..Road to Ishtar by commie W, beatty was an acadimy award winner compared to Dune...Dune??a 5 star disaster train wreck..A full bag of Laotian thai stick would not help this movie,,.Im not talking you need a crutch to move around weed,,.Im talking comatose babeling real wheelchair weed !!
some one actually like this movie???

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 01-25-2011).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!!!!!

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 01-25-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I wonder if this girl ever gets anyone comming up to her telling her how awesome her dad was, or if there's something else they find more interesting???

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I wonder if this girl ever gets anyone comming up to her telling her how awesome her dad was, or if there's something else they find more interesting???

maryjane: "Can you make biscuits?"

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but I'm just a sci fi junkie. The funny thing is, I watched it again a few months ago, and didn't enjoy it that much. It seemed odd and melodramatic.

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Are all of our cats destined to become third stage guild navigators?

All your spice are belong to us?

"Paul Atreides...we want him KILLED!"

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-25-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but I'm just a sci fi junkie. The funny thing is, I watched it again a few months ago, and didn't enjoy it that much. It seemed odd and melodramatic.

I have seen it atleast 30 times.
It's style is in no way mine.
But it has a certain "The Ten Commandments" feel about it.
It feels like it WANTED to be an epic.
If only Cecil B. Demille could have taken a shot at it.

I think I liked (not love) it for what it COULD have been......

But hey, I liked Ishstar.
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
LMAO! The real question is will she make biscuits? The answer is probably no. If it's yes, I could have a problem.

Jane

------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 01-25-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Then.

Now.

Just sayin'.
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

maryjane: "Can you make biscuits?"

Oh yes, she can make biscuits.
And Biscotti.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

HEEEELLLLLZZZZZ YEAH!!! I'm with you boonie!! At least for 1&2....... Didn't read the other books...

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Dawg, this is soo weird, I was just thinking about Dune today.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
The movies were good, but the books were so much better. I love the concept of folding space, and the kyle inversion. I really got into the Dune series. I really like The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan too. I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonovich for comedy reading. I'm really into The Dragons of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Her son has taken over now too. All of these books have very richly detailed character lives and plots. Next to swimming, reading is my favorite hobby.

Jane

------------------

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 01-26-2011).]

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

calamityjane

2221 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

..Dune was probably the worse big budget movie of all time,I kept waiting for it to get better,,IT WAS TERRIBLE,,NOT EVEN A DILDO RELAY RACE ,FEATURING THE MOST BUXOM LADIES IN THE WORLD ,WOULD HAVE SAVED IT,and dildo relay racing is so facinating,you do not need a midget..Visions of just desert blowing shifting sand are better than Dune
..Road to Ishtar by commie W, beatty was an acadimy award winner compared to Dune...Dune??a 5 star disaster train wreck..A full bag of Laotian thai stick would not help this movie,,.Im not talking you need a crutch to move around weed,,.Im talking comatose babeling real wheelchair weed !!

Come on Uhlanstan. That's a bit harsh isn't it? It was entertaining though.

Jane
------------------

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 01-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I've met Kevin J. Anderson. He's a nice guy and a good writer. He does a lot of work on Dune.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock