Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Got a Computer problem - need some expert guidance!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Got a Computer problem - need some expert guidance! by katatak
Started on: 01-23-2011 01:42 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Carver1 on 01-23-2011 07:43 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Greetings,

Here's the problem - I bought an ACER Aspire netbook for my Wife for Xmas. It has Windows 7 Just wanted something she could sit on the couch and do her emailing. Up until yesterday, all was fine. Now, when I try to hook up to my wireless router, it says it connects but gives the little warning and says no internet access? Plus the network map shows that it is an unidentified / public network? I have 3 other laptops in the house and all 3 have no issues with the wireless internet. I truned the power off to the router, etc. etc. and the little ACER still will not connect. I tried removing the "profile" and starting new - still no access.

Now some background. She wanted to use an Excell spreadsheet yesterday but needed to load MSoft office - there is a free 60 day trial on the ACER. Befroe she did the install, it was working fine - after the install - no access. Not sure if it is related. I am computer illiterate and spent the better part of yesterday trying to figure out what the problem is. If anyone has an idea of what/where I need to look I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Pat

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
What are you running for wireless security. Try turning it off on the router and see if it connects. Then turn it back on and see if you are still connected.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

What are you running for wireless security. Try turning it off on the router and see if it connects. Then turn it back on and see if you are still connected.

Network Security Settings:

Secure WEP

I'll go check it out.

Pat
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I just reconfigured my wireless network last night. Check to see if all your computers are running the same type of security. With Windows 7, sometimes you have to "dumb it down" to work with other machines. Lowest common denominator is the key to everything linking up correctly.
I had to go to the manufacture website for my router to get the settings correct.

Good luck!

------------------
88 GT "The Stray" 4.9L
86 GT 2.8L 4 speed
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
08 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Dually.
05 Tahoe on 20's (Kid hauler)

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Just disabled security and it did not make a difference - it will connect but still shows "unidentified" network and no internet access. I think I'll run over to McDonalds (free wifi) and see if will connect there? Maybe need to call the Geek Squad!
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Does it have a "wifi on / off" button on the laptop keyboard? My stepmom gives me a frantic call about once a month and she somehow hits that button. Same kind of symptoms. It's usually a blue lit up button when on, orange when off. Just worth a quick look!
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I've got XP on my Aspire One. Occasionally after coming back on from sleep or hibernation mode, it won't be able to reconnect to the wireless network. If I hit the button to shut off the wireless and don't turn it back on before it goes into sleep or hibernation, it's definitely not going to reconnect. No matter what I try, it won't find any wireless networks, period. I have to do a cold boot to get it to work again. I think it's the lousy built in atheros wireless network card, because I was working on another laptop that was doing the exact same thing, and it turned out to have an atheros card in it too.

That was a long-winded way of asking if you've done a cold boot.
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Just disabled security and it did not make a difference - it will connect but still shows "unidentified" network and no internet access. I think I'll run over to McDonalds (free wifi) and see if will connect there? Maybe need to call the Geek Squad!

try uninstalling and re-install the drivers for the wifi card before you take to bestbuy. the "dbag squad" will charge you for something like that even if its new and covered under the manufacture's warranty .. and its not cheap.
the reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
If the network profile says Unidentified/Public it will not connect to the internet. The only way to change it is through the network wizard or you can try this: got to control panel; netwok and sharing center; click on the park bench icon or the public network link, this will give you a window with three network options of home, work or public, click on home.

Hope that helps
Nick
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I did do a "reboot", and then shut it down overnight - retried several times today - stiil same problem. I went to McDonalds for lunch and tried it there on thier free wifi - it would connect but not recognize the network. My son has a buddy that works at Comp USA. We took it down there and he found some things that were wrong - 1st off it was running 2 anti virus programs - MCaFee and Norton? I have no idea how Norton got on there. The MCaFee was already on the laptop when purchased. Anyway, he disabled both and still had the problem trying to get into the CompUSA network. The wireless hardware seems to be "sending" and not receiving He said it could be a OS conflict - maybe happened when the Wife installed MS Office? or the hardware has fried (his exact words). So we left it there for a more "in depth" review. If it's hardware, it's still under waranty so we'll deal with that when we know. It may be one of those "lessons" learned - You get what you pay for!

I'll post the results when I know more. Thanks again for your replies.

Pat

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Hey Pat, I got you covered in the laptop department if need a new one.
I know a guy.....
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock