Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Man, I'm so psyched to be finally doing this...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Man, I'm so psyched to be finally doing this... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 01-22-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 0
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 01-22-2011 12:29 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I'm updating my progress in the tech section, but I just had to post here.

I've had this car, my 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 for 15 years. It was the first car that I had ever purchased on my own. I did share an 84 Corolla with my brother for a year, but the 87 Fiero I bought with my Mc.Donalds and CompUSA money after I gradated high school in 1996. I've literall had it since then.

I drove it until mid 2000 when I spun a bearing. I moved on to a white 1997 Pontiac Grand Am as my daily driver. I was trying to be more responsible, I finally lived in an apartment all my own withour roommates, I was in several serious relationships, met my wife (whom I started dating at the time). My career was taking off... but I STILL managed to hang on to my Fiero. I kept it in the parking lot of the apartment comlpex, making sure that the tires were filled and the tag current, even though it didn't run.

Then I got a house, and I put it on the side of the house where it got a little neglected. I finally rebuilt the motor, drove it around for a few months, but every time I drove it, it drove worse and worse. I eventually stopped starting it, and it sat for a couple of years.

Then my daughter was born... and I sold off half of my fleet. I finished my associates, and then started my bachelors program, while working full time.

I managed to get my Fiero running long enough to be able to pull it into my garage where it sat for another 2 years.

All this time, I've been collecting parts to restore the car... totally fix it up and build it exactly how I want it. Totally stock looking, but totally complete, with nearly every option. For the past 10 years, I would spend maybe 50-100 a month buying a new part for the Fiero for when the time came.

I started finally working on this thing about 6 months ago. I started with the front and totally tore apart the front end. The past 2 months I've really been pushing to make progress on this bad-boy.

The problem with me is that I'm profusely anal... everything has to be perfect, so when I take something apart, I can't put it back together if it's not immaculate. I'm so anal that I touch-up all the screws with black chassis enamel on a small brush.

This is where I am at so far:

Everything in the front is totally rebuilt... completely. The headlight motors were taken apart and every bushing was greased. All the brake lines were replaced. Rebuilt the master cyl, new clutch master cyl... everything is either new, rebuilt, or replaced. The only thing not touched is the brake booster (which worked perfectly). I'm on a budget of course, and while most everything is new, I did have to repurpose a few things that I knew I could always replace eventually if needed. I sanded down my KYB shocks in the front and repainted them, and then also re-used the brake booster.

Here's the front-end as it is about 20 minutes ago... everything you see is new. I just got through rebuilding and greasing the hood latch and re-installing it, and installing the front compartment seal.

And of course, my suspension up front which I also totally rebuilt.

I still have the entire back-half of the car, and the interior to do... but at least I'm making progress...

When all is said and done, it will be a "like new" 1987 Fiero SE / V6 with a 5-Speed getrag, and a 3.2 w/ h272 cam.

A flat-15 would be all I'm really looking for... but I'm hoping to break into the high 14s.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C