Started on: 01-20-2011 06:29 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: Patrick on 01-26-2011 08:14 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I've posted images many times of Frankie, our nine year old Siberian Husky. She's the sweetest dog... around people.

However, being a husky, she's not so sweet around small animals. (She'd also go after larger animals such as coyotes, raccoons, deer, etc if given half a chance.) Cats and chickens and chipmunks need to run for their lives if they're anywhere close to her. Small dogs are not a problem if Frankie is off-leash, yes off-leash, but on-leash she's much more aggressive towards any sized dogs she encounters (which I understand is not too uncommon with many dogs while on-leash).

The problem lately has been that there are some small dogs (off-leash) in the neighborhood which have run up to Frankie while she is on-leash during a walk. These little dogs don't seem to realize that running up to a much larger dog and barking in this dog's face isn't the brightest idea. Frankie has made a mess of a couple of these dogs before she could be pulled off of them and my girlfriend is terrified that Frankie is going to eventually be put down by the city (if reported). It's debatable whether that would be the outcome (as these dogs are loose which is illegal here and running up to Frankie who is on-leash), but the problem is that Anne's kids are now reluctant to walk Frankie as they're afraid to be the ones "responsible" if Frankie kills or maims one of these dogs the next time she's confronted.

So... that's why I'd like some info on dog muzzles. Info on types and sizing and how to keep the darn things on. I don't want some "macho" looking muzzle for Frankie. I want it to be as inconspicuous (and as comfortable for her) as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ramsespride

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
as i have found with our Basenji Maxwell, a muzzle works- if they keep it on

He has gotten good at finding ways to remove it.

The rule i was told at Petco is that you should be able to hook one finger under the strap, any tighter and it could injure the dog and any more loose and it could slide off or be pulled off. Now, Huskies are extremely smart dogs and learn quickly when food is involved SO positive reinforcement may be the way to go, you could try giving her a treat every time you put the muzzle on but if you also intend to use the muzzle as a sort of punishment for her that would make the entire purpose void.

You may also find, as was the case with Jax, that she will mellow out majorly and most likely just lay there with the muzzle on. From his doggy brain i figured he was thinking- "why go to the extra effort to get that food with this thing on?"

Oh BTW, Your dog is beautiful- im a sucker for dogs with blue eyes like that!

[This message has been edited by Ramsespride (edited 01-20-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

Huskies are extremely smart dogs and learn quickly when food is involved SO positive reinforcement may be the way to go...

She's a funny dog. She's never liked "treats", unless it's real meat!

...but if you also intend to use the muzzle as a sort of punishment for her that would make the entire purpose void.

Oh, no no. The muzzle would always just be a pre-emptive measure to prevent a problem from occurring (usually when the kids are walking her).

Oh BTW, Your dog is beautiful- im a sucker for dogs with blue eyes like that!

Thanks. Frankie always gets plenty of compliments whenever we have her out and about. Well, except from the dog owners whose dogs have just been chewed on.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Cage muzzle. He can eat and drink.
http://furlongspetsupply.co...tyle_dog_muzzle.aspx
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-20-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Cage muzzle. She can eat and drink.

Good points, but it sure is ugly!

As opposed to this style...

If available, I thought a white leather (or some other durable material) muzzle on Frankie would look inconspicuous, but yes, it still needs to be effective as well as be relatively comfortable.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If available, I thought a white leather (or some other durable material) muzzle on Frankie would look inconspicuous, but yes, it still needs to be effective as well as be relatively comfortable.

That won’t stop him from biting.

Melanie said.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

That won’t stop her from biting.

Melanie said.

Well, that's supposed to be what they're for, but I have no experience with using any style of muzzle on a dog.

So, those of you who have used a leather type muzzle on your dog... Does it work?
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Good points, but it sure is ugly!

Although Jake, my current dog doesn't need one, I used to have a dog that was untrustworthy in certain situations. A muzzle is one answer but, my question to you is, are you more interested in function or fashion? If it's for the dog and your best interest, I'd think fashion would not the the top priority.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

...my question to you is, are you more interested in function or fashion? If it's for the dog and your best interest, I'd think fashion would not the the top priority.

Ron, good question, but it's not "fashion" I'm after. I'm after an effective means of preventing Frankie from biting small dogs without making Frankie look like some vicious monster. We don't want everyone we encounter while walking Frankie (with a muzzle) thinking that's she's some rabid hound who's about to attack their children!

If everyone else had their dog on a leash (which is the law here) while we're walking her, it wouldn't be an issue. However, there have been several recent episodes where smaller dogs have run up and engaged her in a fight. They lost... badly. I don't like seeing these dogs get hurt, and of course the other dogs occasionally scratch or bite Frankie in the process as well.

I want to repeat that Frankie is VERY tolerant of small dogs while she is off-leash. Frankie is not a vicious dog, and we'd prefer not using a type of muzzle which makes her look more vicious than necessary... if that's possible.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-20-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Ron, good question, but it's not "fashion" I'm after. I'm after an effective means of preventing Frankie from biting small dogs without making Frankie look like some vicious monster. We don't want everyone we encounter while walking Frankie (with a muzzle) thinking that's she's some rabid hound who's about to attack their children!

If everyone else had their dog on a leash (which is the law here) while we're walking her, it wouldn't be an issue. However, there have been several recent episodes where smaller dogs have run up and engaged her in a fight. They lost... badly. I don't like seeing these dogs get hurt, and occasionally the other dogs scratch or bite her in the process as well. One time it was a $150 vet bill for an infected eye from an injury sustained in a short tussle.

I also want to repeat that Frankie is VERY tolerant of small dogs while she is off-leash. Frankie is not a vicious dog, and we'd prefer not using a type of muzzle which makes her look more vicious than necessary... if that's possible.

Patrick,
I understand your position but the fact is, Frankie has proven to have an issue in certain situations. Whether others are following the leash law or not isn't really the issue either. You have a situation to deal with, a muzzle of any kind warns folks that this dog may bite. In my mind, that settles that debate. Other dogs don't recognize a muzzle as anything other than bling. What's best for all concerned? BTW, Frankie is a beautiful animal. Reminds me a Norweigian lady I dated in college. She'd bite also.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

You have a situation to deal with, a muzzle of any kind warns folks that this dog may bite. In my mind, that settles that debate.

Ron, I'm not sure what the "debate" is? I acknowledge that Frankie is capable of biting small dogs that rush up to her face and taunt her while she's on-leash. I just don't want to have to make her look like this while she's going for her twice daily stroll...

I'd prefer something more along these lines...

PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a job for Cesar Milan (Dog Whisper).

when i had two GSD they would sometimes go at it, one day i had enough and put them both in the basket type muzzle. they would try and get them off but after a while they just gave up and got use to it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

sounds like a job for Cesar Milan (Dog Whisper).

I've tried to whisper in Frankie's ear, but the effect has been rather limited.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-20-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Ron, I'm not sure what the "debate" is? I acknowledge that Frankie is capable of biting small dogs that rush up to her face and taunt her while she's on-leash. I just don't want to have to make her look like this while she's going for her twice daily stroll...

Patrick,
The debate on which muzzle to use. My suggestion is to use the one you like best, if it's effective, your problem is solved. If not, you know what direction you need to move. Best of lick, I mean luck.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Ron, I found the perfect muzzle for Frankie. The neighbors won't mind it at all.

You'll have to thank John Carlo from my local Fiero club for coming up with the Hannibal Lecter look for Frankie.

Yikes...

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that even scares me.

Ron
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

I tried one of those once......but my ex-wife refused to keep it on.

A bit bitter, you say?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Don't they make them with big sharp spikes protruding outward anymore--like Spike's collar??
I've never muzzled a dog, but had to muzzle a horse once. He never kicked, but would take a chunk of your leg every chance he got.
Yes, it was a wire muzzle.
you're welcome,

'not a slave to fashion Don'
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

'not a slave to fashion Don'

So you claim, I've heard otherwise. Then again, my source was a Kansan.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

One of the fellas in my local Fiero club recommended I try a "Halti" instead of a muzzle. So I picked one up today and we'll see how effective it is.

This is not Frankie. This is a dog being paid to model the device.

Something tells me that Frankie is not particularly going to like this contraption. I'll report how well it works out.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Red Green would just use duct tape.........
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Red Green would just use duct tape.........

I got a PM from a longtime well respected PFF member who suggested I use pantyhose. I wish he would post that here so we could all tease him.

You know who you are, buddy! Are you up to it?

[EDIT] To be fair, the pantyhose suggestion was just for temporary/emergency use. Would probably hurt a lot less to remove from Frankie's beak than duct tape as well.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-22-2011).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Ron, I found the perfect muzzle for Frankie. The neighbors won't mind it at all.

You'll have to thank John Carlo from my local Fiero club for coming up with the Hannibal Lecter look for Frankie.

Yikes...

That made me laugh and i need some cheering up. I had to bury my dog today he died last night and have been crying all day.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

That made me laugh and i need some cheering up. I had to bury my dog today he died last night and have been crying all day.

Aw man, I'm so sorry to hear that.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

I got a PM from a longtime well respected PFF member who suggested I use pantyhose. I wish he would post that here so we could all tease him.

You know who you are, buddy! Are you up to it?

[EDIT] To be fair, the pantyhose suggestion was just for temporary/emergency use. Would probably hurt a lot less to remove from Frankie's beak than duct tape as well.

I'm not surprised he recommended that but, was he willing to take his off and let you use them. Ask him if he's broken the seal on that quart of KY Spirits he recently received.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...was he willing to take his off and let you use them? Ask him if he's broken the seal on that quart of KY Spirits he recently received.

You'll have ask him both questions yourself.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

You'll have ask him both questions yourself.

Pat,
Just asked him, the answers were yes and no.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

First report...

Anne's daughter and I took Frankie out on a test walk on the weekend. Worked out really well. I have to admit I'm very surprised how well the old gal has adapted so quickly to this new harness.

You can see in this shot that the halti strap around Frankie's muzzle is not tight (unless she tries to pull away), so having this type of harness on is not as bad as it might first appear.

For anyone not familiar with a Halti, the strap you see disappearing at the bottom of the picture actually has a clip on it which attaches to the dog's regular collar, and the leash then attaches to the metal ring in the middle of this strap.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Excellent, I'm glad this is working out for all concerned.

Ron
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Excellent, I'm glad this is working out for all concerned.

Thanks Ron.

Yeah, so far so good.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-26-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock