Started on: 01-18-2011 11:57 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: proff on 01-19-2011 04:29 AM
Ramsespride

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
I, aswell as many on this forum frequent the local lakes and rivers during the winter months to take advantage of great ice fishing and snowmobiling.
Sadly every year there are always a handful of people that break through the thin ice and drown, leaving behind friends and family members.

Locally, about 80% of the total winter breakthroughs of ice are in the SAME EXACT SPOT. Last year alone, IIRC nearly 5 people died in the same exact way, the same exact circumstances, and in the same exact spot where the river meets the lake.

This video is a good educational tool for friends and family before you head out to enjoy the icy landscape.

Watch and drill the tips into your brains, for the sake of your family- they depend on you!

------------------

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Also what does yoga and farming have to do with eachother?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I never understood the ice fishing thing. I love fishing don’t get me wrong, but ice fishing. Do you really want to get away from your wife that bad? To go out on a frozen lake and freeze your balls off. To me makes no sense.

Good tips for anyone who ice fishes or snowmobiles on the ice. I used to go to lake Winnipesauke
in New Hampshire to visit friends and they used to drive cars and trucks on the ice. But only after at least the ice was 12” thick. I think the rule of thumb was 12” of ice would hold a team of horses.

I went with them one time in a Toyota celica and I was scared out of my mind. Rolled the window down and took my seat belt off.

Stay safe

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I To go out on a frozen lake and freeze your balls off. To me makes no sense.

Steve

If you are freezing, then you are doing it wrong Some people around here have mini-homes for ice fishing

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
And a TV to watch the game.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
According to the "old timers" around here, there's a VW somewhere in the middle of the lake. It seems that about 30 years ago, some guy drove it out on the ice and left it running to keep warm while he fished. The ice melted under the car and SPLASH! I can't verify the story but can't see why so many folks would BS me about it.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Doni Hagan

8242 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

And a TV to watch the game.

Is that for real or just a mockup? How the Heck to they get it out onto the ice? I've seen tents out on the lake but NOTHING like that!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
With a truck

these are real....

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

Is that for real or just a mockup? How the Heck to they get it out onto the ice? I've seen tents out on the lake but NOTHING like that!

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

According to the "old timers" around here, there's a VW somewhere in the middle of the lake. It seems that about 30 years ago, some guy drove it out on the ice and left it running to keep warm while he fished. The ice melted under the car and SPLASH! I can't verify the story but can't see why so many folks would BS me about it.

Sounds like urban legend. I ice raced my Fiero on frozen lakes last season, and I often left my car running. It never melted an appreciable amount of snow/ice under it idling for an hour or so.
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
Yep unless the VW was like the Fiero and had cooling lines strung along the whole underside of the car and it was overheating to the point that the coolant was boiling in the lines themselves you would never get the ice to melt enough to break. That is unless of course he drove it out on a sunny day after it was warm for a week or two and the ice was less than 4 inches thick. Then i could maybe see it happening.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
V W's are air cooled.

With the cowling off

Being air cooled reduced weight and increased dependability. No radiator, no water pump, no coolant, no hoses.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 01-18-2011).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
If it were a VW bug, I could easily see it happening. Being air cooled, and the forced air flowing over the heads then down towards the ice like a heater blasting it. Don't think it would take long to compromise the ice enough to allow the car to go in.

Kevin
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Last time I went ice fishing the ice was 18 inches thick. We had a hut with a heater and beer. Hang a couple of strings off the ceiling and sit back and drink beer and watch the string.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

V W's are air cooled.

Not all were.

Kevin

BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Oh no, that's real for sure. At least up in these parts, just about everybody has one of these parking in their driveway:

Some of the more popular lakes got several dozen clustered like small towns out there.

Dave

------------------
BAZOOKAFIERO's Junk

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
i used to have a type 1 and a type 2 and a type 3
not all at the same time but that were cheap to run
kombi engine in a beetle with the carburetors from a station wagon, that makes the perfect stock standard drag car.

V W's are air cooled.

With the cowling off

Being air cooled reduced weight and increased dependability. No radiator, no water pump, no coolant, no hoses.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock