Started on: 01-17-2011 02:54 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: kwagner on 01-17-2011 05:53 PM
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
So I bought some software at Amazon, used, from a seller (since Amazon no longer had any in stock). When it arrives, it is clear that it is a burned DVD with a label put on the front. If I wanted pirated software, I would've downloaded it myself and saved the money. I check the listing of the software I bought and see the guy has another copy listed after mine sold. To me it's clear he only intends to sell copies.

I contact Amazon, and tell them "I received a burned DVD with a printed label instead of a legitimate DVD". Customer service rep Roop gets back to me with a canned response to the effect of: contact the seller and try to work something out. If you can't after contacting them, let us know.
This wasn't acceptable to me. I don't see how I could come to any agreement other than "give me a refund", at which point Amazon would consider the matter closed, and the guy would continue selling stolen software.

I contact Amazon again, this time with "I received pirated software. What is the appropriate course of action?" Customer service rep Uday responds with a canned response to the effect of: if you believe your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send us the following documentation (including proof that you hold the copyright) and we'll look into it.
I am not the copyright holder. Neither of these answers was correct, and I'm getting frustrated by people for whom English is not their primary language. Both times I was given the option of having them call my phone instead of using email, but given the responses I've gotten so far, that would be an exercise in frustration beyond what I can deal with right now. What can I do? I've enjoyed Amazon's service since 2004 up until now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Wow that is lame. I thought Amazon didn't really have much control over things like that but what do I know. Emailing like you have described most likely won't get anywhere, so I suggest calling when you have a better mindset.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-17-2011).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
you can contact the Software Devloper, and see what they have to say - being it is their money this guy is getting.
maybe he actually does have a pile of licenses for the software, and is selling them legally. doesnt sound like it - but - it is possible....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, I would contact the maker of the software and let them deal with Amazon. Isn't there an enforcement office you can contact within the government??? hmm

Try here: http://www.copynot.com/Pages/report_form2.html
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Oh, if you used a credit card, contact them.
Gecko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
if he is really selling copied software, amazon will get emails from other people such as yourself. They won't allow it for to long, so I would just ask the guy for a refund.

Just curious, was the software priced really really low in comparison to the retail price?

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Also call BSA. No, not boy scouts. www.bsa.org They love to know who is selling pirate software.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
It was low, but not dirt cheap. It was an older copy of the software, one that was no longer upgradeable. I figured it was either a scammer, or someone stuck with a copy and trying to get rid of it while it was still worth something. Amazon says they have an "A to Z guarantee", that covers any issues so "buy with confidence". They want me to contact the seller before they will go that route, though. The seller already had positive feedback, which tells me some people don't mind doing business like this or don't know he's selling them counterfeit. Since their last email said "if you're the copyright holder, let us know", I'll probably just contact the maker and let them sort it out.

Edit (ogre posted while I was writing): I thought about contacting them, but I'll see what the maker has to say first.

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 01-17-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock